News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

regaining dimming on EM-1 n scale

Started by bnoem1, December 03, 2013, 10:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnoem1

while programming the decoder in the n scale EM-1 I lost the dimming of the front and tender lights.  Anyone know how to get them back?  Also is there a way to keep the front headlight on, but dimmed when in reverse?

skipgear

CV51 sets the function button that acuates the dimming.
CV52 controls how much dimming.

I think in JMRI there is another CV called out that controls dimming when in Rev. but I can't remember what it is. May be CV53.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

RKeefer

I am not much on DCC programming - managed to get mine converted to the cab number but let me say WOW.....and once again WOW!!!

Slow speed creep is amazing - pulling 40+ coal cars on the club layout (ok so it is flat) at a crawl with no motor growls or whining......

Again Wow - great job on a great looking model.

wobblinwheel

Is there any info available that lists ALL the cv's functions provided on EM-1's decoder? Such as defaults and ranges available for things like start voltage, accel, decel, etc??

Brewman

Decoder info here:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf

I have never setup decoders by going directly to the CV's, I use JMRI to set the values. I did a EM-1 for one of the guys in the club, as I recall the default setting was dimmed always. I guess Bachmann thought the full brightness was too bright to be realistic on a steamer.
To use JMRI you will need an interface between the computer and your DCC system. I used a Digitrax PR3 wired directly to some HO and N track on a piece of 1x6 board. It makes for a portable programming track I can use at home or take to the club with my laptop.

gatrhumpy

On the N scale version of the EM-1, what is wire 3 for? I've never seen it before, and it's not on the wiring diagram on the link above.