News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD GP 40

Started by Old John, April 03, 2014, 07:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old John

Does anyone know how to remove the trucks from the GP40.  This is the version that the top half of the frame can be removed to expose the drive train and motor - I need to get in and clean the wheel pickups and chassis pickups.

Desertdweller

Take the body off first.  There will be a slot in the frame on each side above each truck.

You will need something to use as a drift pin.  I use a straight pin with a T-top.

Pull down on the truck, and insert the drift pin in the slot with the truck wheels parallel to the frame.
There will be a steel dowel pin that goes through the center of the big gear.  This acts as a shaft for the gear, and is long enough to ride in the slots to keep the truck from falling off.

Use the drift pin to push the steel dowel out the opposite side of the frame.  The truck (and the large gear) will fall out.

There will be nothing else holding the truck on.  Electrical contact with the frame is made by copper wipers on each side, held in place by the truck's outer sideframes.

Be sure everything is lined up correctly when re-assembling.  You can use the drift pin to push the dowel back in place.

I suggest you do this one truck at a time.  This is also a good time to clean the gears, including the worm at the top of the gear train.

It's hard to get everything lined up to put it back together if you go farther than this and disassemble the frame. 

You may want to snip off the pointed end of your drift pin tool to make its use easier.

Les

Old John

Les,

Thank You very much, you are a life saver - your instructions worked!  Gad you can't imagine how dirty everything was.  Thank you again!

Desertdweller

Happy to be able to help you!

Les