News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale DD40AX - Retrofit?

Started by cabbybusdriver, January 19, 2014, 05:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabbybusdriver

How hard would it be to swap the DCC WITH SOUND body, circuit board, etc. of the latest DD40AX with the previous DCC (only) models?  Has anyone out there done it yet?

Brewman

Not sure yet, I haven't seen any of the parts show up for sale yet from Bachmann. I have one I bought a year ago and Bachmann must have been planning for sound, there are already holes in the bottom of the tank for the speaker. On paper it looks like just a swap of the decoder and replacing the weight in the tank with the speaker. The other option would be to use another brand decoder and speaker that fits. Soldering will be required for the decoder swap.

Barry

ENGRET94

i would also like to be able to get a replacement board for my older dd40ax. since i bought the new one with sound value in it, i fell in love. do they sell the new sound board yet to put in the older ones, if not hurry it up bachmann, we're anxious.

Brewman

I haven't seen anything show up on the parts page yet, it might be a while. It may just be this Soundtrax decoder and 1/2 inch speaker: http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/showwistle.php?s=emd645t
Since you have one, maybe you could verify that if you want to look inside.

ftauss

The thing to remember is that it has 2 engines. The decoder in the new one has the sound of 2 engines starting and running. Unless that decored does that, too, it probably won't sound quite  as good. Since it for the DD40 also I would assume it has it, but I would call them and ask first.

Just sayin'