Adding Keep Alive to Bachmann 0-4-2T Porter

Started by richg, January 20, 2014, 06:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

jbrock27

Thanks for the link.  Looks like he utilizes a Radio Shack multi meter.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hamish K

Interesting. Adding tenders to small tank locomotives is prototypical, it was done in quite a number of instances, There are some kits available for On30 tenders from small makers, at least one of which has provision for pick ups. None come with the electronic module as far as I know.

I think Bachmann missed an opportunity when they revised the Porters, provision could have been made for an optional tender with electronic connections to provide additional pick ups and a tender light. This would have increased the variety of small locos available (Porters with or without tender) as well as offering an option for those who wished to improve Porter performance. The tender could have been provided as an optional extra, provided the loco was fitted with the necessary  connections.

Still possible for future runs of the Porters?

Hamish

2foot6

What a great video,I was inspired to make one myself and it works extremely well.I have had an issue with my porter stalling on the worn vee's in the points(turnouts).Adding an extra set of pickup wheels in the form of a tender has worked well.I used a Bachmann passenger car bogie as per video,just need to build a body of some sort,ie water tank.It is some thing Bachmann  could consider to manufacture for future releases,a porter  with tender as Hammish .K has suggested.I will mention that it is not a loco fault in regard to the porter stalling on the points,it,s  just a case of well worn track work. I didn't add the keep alive module,as I didn,t need it.... Cheers Peter