News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann H-16-44 handrails

Started by gmhtrains, January 20, 2014, 06:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmhtrains

I recently purchased my first Bachmann H-16-44 (Baby Trainmaster) diesel second-hand because it is custom-painted for Mexico's former Chihuahua al Pacifico Railway. The model is great, except for the wobbly handrails that appear to be blowing in the wind. I see that Bachmann has new, replacement handrail sets available, but wonder if they would look any better? It appears that the problem may be the Delrin-like plastic that makes the handrails flexible and resistant to breaking, but at the same time fail to hold a rigid shape, either horizontally or vertically. If you have this model, or other Bachmann diesels from the same time period (late 1990's?), is the problem typical of all "long hood" models? Both end handrails came loose in the box and I have not tried to install them yet. It also appears that the mounting holes in the body shell may be too small for the pins on the handrail stanchions, and attempts to glue Delrin to styrene are never fun.

Gil Hulin
Modeling Mexico Railroading in Oregon

jonathan

Gil,

I own 2 of the Baby Trainmasters.  Honestly, I don't pay attention to the handrails.  They have never had a problem. Could it be the custom painter loosened the connections a bit too much when he prepped the shell?  Just guessing here...

Regards

Jonathan

ALCO1000

I believe SMOKEY VALLEY  makes A RAIL KIT FOR THIS ONE made out of brass wire and brass stations, May look hard , not really take your time and it will be a rewarding experience and will last , Well if you do not like that , I Think a company called Atlas has them also IN PLASTIC A FEW OPTIONS and Please if it dont go in the hole do not use glue , TAKE A SMALL PIN and reem the hole a little , the railings are really press fit and if there press fitted properly even the wavy rail thing can be messaged out,, But IF YOU Really like the engine  PIANO WIRE And Athearn metal stantions and you can make a nice set bending your own , very durable and done right Impressive with a little bit of Metal chain at the ends,
Regards,
JACK

gmhtrains

Thanks, Jack, for the Smokey Valley information. I've visited their website and am pleased to learn of their dozens of handrail/stanchion options. And I fully agree that enlarging the body holes is far better than smearing glue on the model.

Gil