News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco S2 sound improvement simple

Started by ALCO1000, January 29, 2014, 09:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

WHAT the?!?

Actually, that was very well said Jerry.

For Jack, I was trying to figure out a way to type in all CAPS, then high light and reduce to lower case, but can't find a way.  Anyone have an idea about that?
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 01, 2014, 07:06:40 PM
Good tip Roger on the ZOOM function.  GOOGLE CHROME also has this function in the top right corner of the screen.  There is a series of 3 bars.  If one clicks on it a drop down menu appears and in the menu is a ZOOM feature which may help some folks.

Like I said, it's amazing how many people, not counting you, who have no idea what their computer can do because the never ever bother to explore it.

Cheers

Roger.

jbrock27

Thank you. 
I have learned quite a bit in the last 4 days, while a terrific team from INDIA basically rebuilt my computer.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 01, 2014, 07:25:02 PM
Thank you.  
I have learned quite a bit in the last 4 days, while a terrific team from INDIA basically rebuilt my computer.

You spoke to "David", located in "California"?

The guy with the Indian accent?  :)

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 01, 2014, 07:25:02 PM
Thank you. 

Glad to see you got it fixed. I have never had any luck with those guy's over there. Once my warranty was done, off to my friends place to get-r-done.

jbrock27

Let's see, from last Sunday, until earlier today, I s/w a guy whose name I can't remember, Richard, Xavier, Menthau, VJ and Kerthac and a lady named Hanz with the cable company (that was a red herring call though).
The guys from INDIA were DELL guys, very skilled and for the most part, understandable on the phone.  Some had sense of humor and some did not (kinda like the folks here).  In my view, they work super hard.  What I did not like, is how they are on a set time schedule and have to turn you over to a new person the next day if they don't get done what needs doin in their allotted time.  Plus the inconvenience of having to be around for the call.
Overall very pleased as I am way past warranty.  Made a call for help last Sunday, tried to talk me into a service plan that would cost more than a new laptop, I said no.  Negotiated a flat rate for help.  It took longer than planned to get it all right, but was glad I called bc the Operating System had a flaw, hence the rebuild.  Definitely got my money's worth with all the help I got.
Keep Calm and Carry On

AGSB

You can also increase type size on the screen by using the control Key and the + key, and reduce type size by the Control key and - key.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Interesting. I have Windows 7 Home Premium and my zoom utility is in the lower right corner. It shows the existing zoom level, a magnifying glass and the arrow to open the menu. Mine shows zooming from 50-400% plus the custom level goes forever; I just looked at it now and it ran beyond 2000% and was still going when I tired of the check.

You don't even need the utility, however. You can zoom in and out with CTRL plus + or -. Holding CTRL while scrolling with the mouse wheel also zooms in and out.
                                                                                   -- D

Bucksco

Wasn't this a thread about trains....?

West Bound

Alco1000, I'm going to try this but I have a couple of questions. How long is the card board, from headlight to engineers compartment or shorter? also, Did you experiment with other thicknesses of cardboard? Is the 1/8" in the cardboard in line with the open vents in the top of the loco or centered in the cardboard? Thanks, john
Yardmaster, How about deleting all these off topic posts or move them to the computer forum?

ALCO1000

Well there is a molded section that is rectangular where the vent is on top of the hood. You want to cut a piece of cereal box cardboard
thickness what 1/32 with a 1/16 inch hole in the middle(SMall!) ,cut it to press fit it in the molded boss ,trial and error yes,

If you have one! Turn the sound on at a standing idle and cup your hand over the vent just behind the headlight on the long hood ,you will here a change deeper tone, after you do this simple cardboard  and hole baffle thingy, then try the hand cupped test and there will not be a
change in tone.Cheap,quick, works!

Regards,
Jack

J3a-614

After looking at this thread, I had to post this: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3lzdaC8yQ4

Unit is a former military RSD-1, an A-1-A trucked, sloped cab version of the RS-1 (which uses the same 539 engine as the S-2); units were designed to run in Europe and the Middle East, hence the six wheel trucks to distribute weight on lines with low axle loadings and the sloping cab for clearances. 

Now, how much debate will there be on adding a smoke unit to your Alcos? 

Doneldon

J3a-

Wow! That's one smoky Alco. I can't help but wonder if it has a leaky head gasket.
Did the smoke stay white after it was underway?
                                                                             -- D