News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco S2 sound improvement simple

Started by ALCO1000, January 29, 2014, 09:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO1000

Quote from: DAVE2744 on February 11, 2014, 03:46:39 PM
Jack Alco1000, just finished your modification for the sound on the Alco S2.  Worked great.  Definitely enhanced the lower pitched sounds.  I personally think the turbo is too strong, but other than changing the sound board I guess I'll live with it.  I am guessing that blocking most of the shell and opening up the sound box, allows for a larger "echo" chamber.  Anyway, thank you for sharing your experiment. Dave
[/quote
Yes I totally agree with the turbo,the horn is weak on mine ,funny how the prime mover can drown out the horn , kind of out of per-portion,they are 16 bit like a tsumani,I was thinking all the sound might be there like a full blown tsumani , but is locked out by some kind of a code or cv to unlock it ,cheaper to make them all the same and just shut stuff off rather than a whole new item,THEY carry the same cv s but a lot are missing on the sound ready Bachmann.Found one that was not listed on the sound ready dd40ax,but on the full blown tsumani the cv was there to turn up the volume for the radiator dynamic brake fan  I TRIED IT  and found another function that the sound ready dd40ax did not list it had! What else could be found?
Regards,
Jack

Joe323

I have a questions regarding the original intent of this thread.  How do I remove the shell of the S-2 (or S-4) for that matter without damaging it?

ALCO1000

Have light hands and take the screws out of the bottom of the coupler boxes and slide the boxes with the flat blade of your pocket

screwdriver and slide the boxes out , wiggle the shell and pull it up evenly by the center of the hood!, it might hang up on one end or the

other ,but if it does DONT PULL!,PUT the shell back down so you can get it even and then try again Evenly!That is how it is done!If this don't work your doing something in the above steps Incorrectly!Good Luck!,Jack