News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Inexpensive Track Cleaning Tool

Started by HOART, January 29, 2014, 03:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOART

One of the things I like best about the Bachmann forum is the sharing of ideas .
What works for one may work for others .I want to share what I found that works great for me ,very cheap too and under $3.00 .
Shur Line ( the company that makes paint brushes ,etc .) has a Trim & Touch Up Pad .They are sold most every where ,WalMart,Lowes,Home Depot,Sears.
It is a six inch handle with a slide on pad .Comes with two pads which can be washed .The pad is 1 1/2" W X 2 1/4" L .The pad is very soft with a thin foam pad under it.The soft pad is on a plastic slide on base . The pad is made for painting and staining .I spray alcohol on one pad and use the other one for wiping the track off . You can find pictures of the Trim & Touch up Pad on the internet .Lowes website has one pictured .I believe they are listed for $2.54 .Some have been listed on Ebay in the past .
Hope this may help someone .Have fun and enjoy the hobby .

Jerrys HO

Art
Thanks for sharing that idea sounds great. Now to find away to make an extension handle for those long stretches. ;D

Jerry

Doneldon

Art-

I know exactly what you mean. I even have one. I haven't used it for cleaning track yet but I'll sure give it a try.

-- D

Doneldon

Quote from: rogertra on January 29, 2014, 07:08:12 PM
Ink eraser, if you can find one these days.

Roger-

These can scratch rails and leave grit on the layout although the grit doesn't have to be a problem.
It looks a lot like random stones which can be found just about anywhere.
                                                                                                                 -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on January 30, 2014, 01:03:30 AM
Quote from: rogertra on January 29, 2014, 07:08:12 PM
Ink eraser, if you can find one these days.

Roger-

These can scratch rails and leave grit on the layout although the grit doesn't have to be a problem.
It looks a lot like random stones which can be found just about anywhere.
                                                                                                                 -- D

Don.

I never found rail scratching a problem as the metal rail is stronger than the rubber used in the eraser.  I also found little to no problems with any residue as an ink eraser is hard, not soft rubber like a pencil eraser.  Anyway, I vacuum my track so it as never a problem anyway.  :)

However, these days I use the Peco track eraser, or whatever it's called as ink erasers are really hard to find.

Cheers.

Roger.

CNE Runner

While some of these suggestions may be cheaper...I'll stick with my tried and true Bright-Boy. When the 'pad' gets dirty, I simply fun it over some 150-grit sandpaper and it is as good as new. After the occasional 'bout' with the Bright-Boy I run a IHM Track Cleaning caboose over the rails. Since the Monks Island Railway is rather small, I don't fill the on-board tank - preferring to dampen the cleaning pad with Aerocar ACT-6006 Track Cleaner & Conditioner. As an aside, the ACT-6006 works as an excellent wheel/contact cleaner ('keeps my Bachmann GE 45-Tonner running like new).

Like spaghetti sauce, everyone has their own 'recipe' for clean track.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

HOART

Quote from: Jerrys HO on January 29, 2014, 04:36:26 PM
Art
Thanks for sharing that idea sounds great. Now to find away to make an extension handle for those long stretches. ;D

Jerry
Jerry , I made an extension handle by duct taping the handle to a piece of pvc pipe .I have limited mobility so this works fine for me .
Art

Len

I just use the 'Scotch Brite' side of one of those sponges with blue 'Scotch Brite' on one side to clean track. Most grocery stores sell them in a three pack that's pretty cheap. If the 'Scotch Brite' gets gunked up, just wash it out, let it dry, and it's ready to go again.

Just be sure to get the blue 'Scotch Brite'. The green is way to course.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Br 98.75

The large pinks erasers I was for my college math class

rogertra

Quote from: Br 98.75 on January 31, 2014, 02:58:25 PM

The "Pink Pearls" are soft pencil erasers, an ink eraser is much harder but are almost impossible to find these days.

rogertra

Quote from: rogertra on January 31, 2014, 03:03:33 PM
Quote from: Br 98.75 on January 31, 2014, 02:58:25 PM

The "Pink Pearls" are soft pencil erasers and wear out really fast.  An ink eraser is much harder but are almost impossible to find these days.

CNE Runner

I just did a Google search for "Ink Erasers" and found numerous sources. Those of you that wish to use the 'ink eraser' method of track cleaning might want to try that search. As an aside, I saw that Staples was listed as a source of said erasers.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rogertra

Quote from: CNE Runner on February 01, 2014, 12:01:26 PM
I just did a Google search for "Ink Erasers" and found numerous sources. Those of you that wish to use the 'ink eraser' method of track cleaning might want to try that search. As an aside, I saw that Staples was listed as a source of said erasers.

Ray

I gave up looking for them even though they were listed.   I tried the two or three Staples within 30 minutes driving time with no luck.

Cheers

Roger.

wiley209

There are those special eraser-like track cleaning pads, like the ones Life-Like and Model Power offer...

Usually I use a Woodland Scenics Tidy Track cleaner kit. It costs around $30 but works pretty well. It comes with only a few cleaning, maintenance and rescue pads, but they are reusable once you clean them (instructions are available.)