EZ Track layout and expansion, opinions wanted

Started by janedoedad, February 02, 2014, 11:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janedoedad

Thanks for the responses and input.  Much appreciated.

Everything seems to work as it should. There are a couple of areas that are prone to derailing, I suspect that is more about the train car than the track.

Doneldon,  Is this what you are suggesting to get the diagonal appearance of the yard?  I like that it adds more space and function to the yard and provides an additional area for scenery.  I'll try this out today. 

Whiz Kid, Still considering a table divider, I will have to look up the article you mention.

Thanks again!

JDD

The Liver is Evil and Must Be Punished!

jward

rearranging the yard put the s curve back. perhaps #4 or #5 would be more appropriate for this area, and the siding at the top. both have 18r s curves.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Morgun 30

JDD, I think Don is talking about the yard on the inner main on the North side of the lay-out. And I think Jward is talking about the side on the outer main.  Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Your table is 5' X 9', right?

janedoedad

Yes, Table is 5x9

The North yard (inner loop) is not complete.  Have to look at removing the curves and running 2 straight sections.

Have to live with the S-curve on the north outer loop for now.  It may go away when I start putting the scenery in (or not).   :)

Changes to the south yard are being debated.  Can put a straight section in to eliminate the S-curve issue.

Today's project is removing the 4.5" straights from the east and West outer loop and replacing with 3".  I ran out of working room  :o for scenery and such.  I get to reset the risers and such.  Then, out comes the glue gun. for setting the terrain.  Not going to anchor the track just yet.  Decided to do away with all but one of the powered re-railers.  Ordered wired joiners on eBay last night and will try to install in the next week or so.  

Bought a DCC system, so wiring will be a straightforward process.  

jbrock27

jdd, is it always the same cars that are derailing?  Always in the same locations?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: janedoedad on March 08, 2014, 09:26:16 AM
Doneldon,  Is this what you are suggesting to get the diagonal appearance of the yard?  I like that it adds more space and function to the yard and provides an additional area for scenery.  I'll try this out today. 

JDD-

Yes, more or less. One thing about model railroading is that most any setup can
benefit from moving things around and testing alternatives.
                                                                                             -- D

jward

seems to me that if all switches in the yard area were rights, the s curve issue would be solved. and you'd still have that angled yard, but at 60 degrees instead of 30 degrees.

I miss my old laptop, and my anyrail program. I would have drawn those revisions for you to show what I mean if I could.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

janedoedad

Hi All,

JBrock27,  Yes, it is the same three cars with issues.  Two of the cars have a case of the wobbles.  Unsure of what manufacture they are.  The trucks have a lot of play and seem loose.

Don,  Very true, still not sure how the yard will end up.   :-\

Jward,  But then what to do with all the left handed turnouts I have on hand?   ;D   What happened to your laptop?  

The Model Train Show is next weekend. (Cobb Galleria)  Maybe I can find a good price for some turnouts, cars and parts.  Scenery supplies are also on the shopping list.

Hope to make some progress this week.  Will post pictures.

Thanks,

JDD

jward

I can see only one left in the latest plan that would be affected. model rails are resourceful. I'm sure you;ll find a place to use it. another industrial spur, perhaps?

on my laptop the plug where the power supply connects is broken. best buy won't touch it since I didn't buy it there, and they'd rather sell me a new one than fix what I have. I am looking at purchasing a battery charger and an extra battery, so I can be using one and charging the other. but money is tight right now.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Morgun 30

Possible options?

OOPS, Looks like I created an S in the lower yard, didn't I? :-\
I guess you could spend more money and go with this.

OK, Morgun, step away from the computer.......

Jerrys HO

QuoteOK, Morgun, step away from the computer.......

NOOO come back!
Morgun you really out done yourself this time. The second one is my favorite choice.
This should really get a lot of modelers with limited space rolling.
If you would post a list of materials or PM them to me as I know someone looking for a decent plan.
Like Jeff my other computer had the mother board fail and my anyrail stuff is on that hard drive. When I get time I plan on e-mailing anyrail to see if my account can be moved to this computer.

Jerry

jbrock27

jdd, do you have the ability to post any pictures of the undersides of the offending rolling stock?
Do all 3 act up at the same location on the layout?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

To Jward :   i have had bad experiences with  best buys computer repair.    I use local computer technicians for repairs , though I would buy computers from Best Buys if and when the price is right . J2.

janedoedad

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 10, 2014, 08:05:59 PM
jdd, do you have the ability to post any pictures of the undersides of the offending rolling stock?
Do all 3 act up at the same location on the layout?

There were three cars, now only two.  Other one was caboose that broke a truck when it fell off the table.  These derail randomly, most often at turn-outs before hitting the points. 

Thanks,

JDD

Joe Satnik

Morgun,

Referring to your "step away from the computer" layout:

Great job eliminating the "S" curve entering the ladder yard.   

You could move the ladder 9" to the right, then add 9" to each of the rungs on the left end for longer train storage.

The remote (18"R) turnouts would still have worked in the ladder,

so there's some cost savings if you want to go back to them.

Still looking for a facing point spur, perhaps shifting the top turnout would make room an opposite direction one.

If the top turnout were numbered, it would allow a longer straight between opposing curves, so less of the "S"

curve effect in the spur. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.