DCC conversion question for Bachmann Plus F-unit

Started by Grapevine Flyer, February 13, 2014, 01:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grapevine Flyer

Could anyone link me to a resource to convert a Bachmann F-unit to DCC?

Doneldon

gig-

If your F-unit is a Bachmann Plus model it is fairly old. Consequently, the ground may be into the chassis. The FT-B schematic on this web site shows a wire coming off of the bottom but I think you'll either have to disassemble the loco and look, use a multimeter to see if you have continuity between the motor and the frame or use wires from a power pack as test probes to see if the chassis is part of the circuit. If it is, you'll have to electrically isolate the motor from the frame. I suggest that you to do that by replacing the existing motor with a can motor. That has added advantages: In addition to taking care of the electrical issue, it will be newer, more reliable, better at slow speeds and a smoother runner. It might well be more powerful, too. In fact, I urge you to install a can motor even if you don't have an electrical problem.

You can cut the cast frame with a hack saw (use a very fine-toothed blade) or a rotary tool. The stuff is pretty hard so plan to wear out a few blades. Keep in mind that every bit of the chassis you remove is weight which will not rest on the drive wheels. If cutting the chassis is the only way to install the decoder, go for it. But cut away as little as possible and try to replace the weight if you can.
                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

jbrock27

Doc, these units come with a stock can motor. 
I agree with your point about the downside to taking weight off the chassis.  One of the reasons I like the Plus F units over their modern cousins offered by Bachmann, is for their heft. 
I know Jerry of Jerry's HO has this project on his list of things he wants to do.  I am sure if he knew of your question giga, that he would be glad to help you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 13, 2014, 07:45:26 AM

gig-

This is good news for you. You have a modern motor and don't need to worry about isolating it
electrically. Your only challenge will be installing the decoder. Be careful about wire colors.
Bachmann doesn't always follow the NMRA suggested wire color coding.
                                                                                                            -- D

ALCO1000

Quote from: Doneldon on February 13, 2014, 09:20:15 PM
Quote from: jbrock27 on February 13, 2014, 07:45:26 AM

gig-

This is good news for you. You have a modern motor and don't need to worry about isolating it
electrically. Your only challenge will be installing the decoder. Be careful about wire colors.
Bachmann doesn't always follow the NMRA suggested wire color coding.
                                                                                                            -- D

I second that about the wiring,easy way , put some light on it , get paper and pencil and draw a rough pic and write down where each wire goes with attention to front and back left and right just in case you have to get away and get back to it ,this will guarantee against human error,it will have to find another way!  Good Luck, Jack

jbrock27

Excellent suggestion Jack.  Sometimes, when I am working on taking something apart for repair or to work on, whether it be trains or household items, I take a picture with my digital camera to make it easy to look  at and see where things went and where they should go as part of the repair process.
Keep Calm and Carry On