What should the next model be from Bachmann?

Started by TJ, February 13, 2014, 09:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

I would have to say either a Boxcab diesel, the ALCO C415 or FM's H12-44 , I would say all three.

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/id35.html

http://tycotrain.tripod.com/lifelikemodeltrainscollectorsresource/id9.html - See text under Santa Fe No.T237B -1972 Release -

http://www.spookshow.net/h1244.htmlNo.

TJ

brokemoto

1.  An N scale version of their HO 'modern' eight wheeler
2.  An N scale version of their HO Climax (or was it a Heisler?  I forget).
3.  An N scale version of their HO 'Russian' decapod.

A boxcab diseasel would be allright, as well.

Country Joe

I would like to see a New York Central Hudson or a Niagara.

brokemoto

Con-Cor sells a J-3a.  There is one with no shroud, one with the Dreyfuss bullet nose and a shovel nose.   The shovel nose is the Dreyfuss bullet nose shell with a shovel nose grafted to it.  There was only one like it, Commodore Vanderbilt.  Funny thing, in the second issue of this, the manufacturer misspelled 'Commodore'.  The manufacturer spelled it CommAdore.   The C-C shovel nose looks nothing like Commodore Vanderbilt did when it had its shovel nose.  It was later given a bullet nose shroud.

There are several different versions of this.  Take a peek at Spookshow's website for reviews on all versions.

There was a brass Niagara or Mohawk out there.  As I recall, it never ran well.  B-mann may have had an HO Niagara, back in the day, but I forget, now.  I seem to recall that it was a Niagara shell that was made to fit on the ATSF 4-8-4 chassis.  They never did do it in N.  For NYCS steam, I would like to see a K-5a, K-6 or K-11.  The first two would make P&LE, B&A, Big Four and P&E modellers happy.  The last was a rather versatile pacific that worked both passenger and freight all over the NYCS, especially on lines in New York State.

The only mass produced NYC specific steam out there, of which I am aware, is the C-C Hudson.  NYCS did operate USRA originals and copies.  There were a few USRA 0-6-0s, many USRA 0-8-0s (and even more copies), USRA light 2-8-2s and USRA 2-10-2s (which, I seem to recall, got sold off to Canada).  P&LE and P-Mickey had USRA heavy 2-8-2s, but those rarely operated anywhere else on the NYCS.  Shortly after USRA control ended, P&LE and P-Mickey swapped out the USRA standard tenders for the larger tenders from the H-8s.  The H-8s did not work out well.  The H-8s that P&LE did not confine to switching service were sold off to short lines and Mejico.  P&LE also moved the air pumps to the pilot deck and put a protective shroud over them.

I am surpised that no one ever did an A-2a, which was ALCo's last US steam.

Desertdweller

That Con-Cor (Brand X) shovelnose Hudson would be a good model to represent either of the two streamlined CB&Q Hudsons.

One of them (Big Alice, now "de-streamlined") is on display in LaCrosse, WI.

Les

TJ

James in FL

I don't know,
For steam – Probably something they already make in HO.
Niagara, Berkshire, 2-10-4 etc.

Diesel maybe something we use to have, like the old SD-40.
The recent release of the F7, says maybe an F9.
Maybe the heritage units.
Maybe an early GP.

A WAG at best.
buts it's kinda fun to wish.

Mark.S+10

A 4-6-2 Heavy Pacific with DCC and sound.

Have fun, Mark

Desertdweller

I'm all in favor of FM models.  I suggest an H-10-44; H-12-44 (one with early cab, one with late cab), Erie-Built, H-16-44.

You've got two cab variations possible for the Erie-Built.

A long time ago, Atlas offered a Rivarossi-built B-A1A C-Liner.  This had a nice body but only drove through the rear truck.  Not acceptable by today's standards.

Walthers offered (and may still) a B-B trucked C-liner.  Not a bad runner.

There might be a market for the big Trainmaster.

I wish there were more prototypes to model, but FM production didn't last long enough to create more versions.

An ALCO 415 might be a good seller, but it came in two body styles so would be specific to certain roads.

Boxcabs?  There were a lot of builders making them, and they all looked more-or-less alike.  A good call for a generic body.  Maybe something could be made by shortening up the gas-electric.

Les

brokemoto

An FM yard goat would not be bad.  As of this posting, there are no up to date FM yard goats, or Lima, for that matter.  The manufacturers have done up to date EMD, ALCo and Baldwin yard goats, but no FM or Lima.  With the exception of the NYCS road switchers, the only diseasels that Lima did build, before the Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton merger, were yard goats.  As only NYCS ran the road switchers, I would expect that if anyone did these, it would be brass.

Life-Like sold Erie builts.  They are hard to find in almost anything except KCS, and you must look even for those.   I forget if WKW announced another run of these, or not.  I even forget if another run from WKW ever appeared.  I know that WKW did do another run of the C-liners.  They did the NYCs in cigar band.  Every once in a while, one, two or three of the Eries will pop up on FeePay.  It starts a bidding/sniping frenzy.  I sold a NYCS A-B pair there a number of years back and got more than twice what I paid for it.  I could not believe it.  The buyer even gave glowing feedback.  I think that I still have one NYCS A and a PRR A-B pair, but I am not sure, anymore.  To look good, these things need at least a fifty car train.  My pike is not large enough.  A fifty car train would fit, but it would look really silly.  I have not even thought of running them for some time.

As for that old RR/Atlas thing, not only was the single powered truck not acceptable, but the motor lasted three months, if you got a good one and those sprung pick-up shoes created a tremendous amount of drag and caused derailments.  The thing had three speeds:  Way-too-fast, Very fast and Not-at-all.  All of the above are unacceptable by to-day's standards.   If I recall correctly, only four roads had the B/A-1-A FM:  NYCS, NYNH&H, LI and CN (or was it CP?--one of the large  Canada roads had it).  Of the three US roads, only LI liked theirs, but they were not in a line of service on the LI that was particullarly demanding.  NYC kept its Stored Serviceable for most of their tenure there.  The crews complained about electrical problems and the opposed piston engine was maintenance-hungry as it was.  Still, if someone did one, I would buy at least one.

Atlas sold the Trainmaster.  They might not have run it for some time, but I expect that it will appear, again.

I could go for a boxcab.  In fact, I bashed a boxcab by butting two front ends of the B-mann doodlebug together.

In addition to what has been cited, N scale still lacks a Baldwin road switcher.

TJ

If I do recollect correctly,  I believe
http://www.spookshow.net/locolist.php?diesels=6&steam=1&nonbrass=3&sortby=4&Submit=Submit reviewed these .. However, a

TJ

FROM spookshow.net below.

C   1967   1950   .   Atlas   Rivarossi (Italy)   Fairbanks-Morse C-Liner
A   2001   1950   .   Life-Like   Life-Like (China)   Fairbanks-Morse C-Liner A & B
A   2006   1950   PNP   Life-Like   Life-Like (China)   Fairbanks-Morse C-Liner A & B
F   1994   1945   .   Con-Cor   Con-Cor/V-Line (China/USA)   Fairbanks-Morse Erie-Built
A   2002   1945   .   Life-Like   Life-Like (China)   Fairbanks-Morse Erie-Built A & B
B   1970   1956   .   Various   Minitrix (Germany)   Fairbanks-Morse H-12-44
A   2000   1953   E   Atlas   Atlas (China)   Fairbanks-Morse H-24-66 Trainmaster
A   2003   1949   E   Atlas   Atlas (China)   Fairbanks-Morse H15-44
A   2003   1949   E   Atlas   Atlas (China)   Fairbanks-Morse H16-44
A   2006   1949   F   Bachmann   Bachmann (China)   Fairbanks-Morse H16-44

TJ

Oh, almost forgot... I would like to see BACHMANN produce either the  H-10-44, H-12-44, let's not forget the line of CPA's and CFA's which FM offered. A reintroduction of the old ATLAS / RIVAROSSI  B-A1A FM and the old MINITRIX FM switcher both in DCC and  DCC ready for the Plug -N- Play version wouldn't be that bad. Until then again we have Walthers and the following not to mention countless other sources..

http://www.central-hobbies.com/products/lifeliken.html#CLiner
http://www.truelinetrains.ca/locomotives

TJ

brokemoto

I had forgotten about the C-C/V-Line Eries.  What is funny about that is that I have a NYCS pair in passenger lightning stripes.  Ol' Spookie gave them an 'F', but mine run well.  I have not run them in some time, but they ran well when I did run them.  To be sure, I ran them on seventeen inch radius curves or better.  Someone, maybe Spookie, mentioned that the front coupler fouled the shell on sharper curves.  I forget, now, I suppose that Spookshow says what it is in his review, but I seem to recall that they are jammed onto either PA or DL-109 chassis.