News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Doubleheader in DC

Started by wvwoodman, February 16, 2014, 12:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvwoodman

Should I be able to run 2 - spectrum 2-8-0's as a doubleheader in DC. ? 

richg

Maybe. Depends on well they are matched.

Rich

Irbricksceo

It will work fine, although you will need to apply the throttle higher than usual because of the increased poewr draw. All spectrum 2-8-0's are close enough that it will work. It would not be good however if one is DCC and one isnt as the decoder requires more power to start, meaning the DC one will be going faster than the DCC one and have mroe strain on it as at first it will b e trying to pull the other.
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: wvwoodman on February 16, 2014, 12:03:05 AM
Should I be able to run 2 - spectrum 2-8-0's as a doubleheader in DC. ? 

Yes, no problem.  I, like hundreds (thousands?) before me, ran double headers on DC for donkey's years, before DCC was even thought of.

Cheers

Roger.

jbrock27

Yes wman you certainly can if you have an MRC power pack and not a basic one.  The MRC ones I am referring to, are in a black plastic case, not metal copper colored case  (these are old ones).  The toy packs and basic B-mann DC power pack, just don't cut it.  Plus the MRCs last much longer.  You can always use the basic pack to power your accessories like turnouts or lights.  Keep in mind if lights and turnouts are powered from the same source, you will get momentary dimming when throwing a turnout.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Absolutely.  Double-heading in DC is my normal operating setup.  On rare occasions I have even triple-headed 2-8-0s.

Regards,

Jonathan

Irbricksceo

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 16, 2014, 08:26:16 AM
Yes wman you certainly can if you have an MRC power pack and not a basic one.  The MRC ones I am referring to, are in a black plastic case, not metal copper colored case  (these are old ones).  The toy packs and basic B-mann DC power pack, just don't cut it.  Plus the MRCs last much longer.  You can always use the basic pack to power your accessories like turnouts or lights.  Keep in mind if lights and turnouts are powered from the same source, you will get momentary dimming when throwing a turnout.

I would have to disagree with you there, While MRC may be good, I never had a problem with my Bachmann packs, Heck I even used a tyco one once (just because I found it in an old box, not as a main one) So most will do it in my opinion.
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

Ok, then I guess that is something we disagree on.  Given the number of posts about busted Bachmann power packs, or faulty components, perhaps you can view yourself as lucky.  As far as packs like TYCO, AHM any others of similar design, I only relegate them to lesser duties than running the locos.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ALCO1000

Quote from: Irbricksceo on February 16, 2014, 08:14:10 PM
Quote from: jbrock27 on February 16, 2014, 08:26:16 AM

I would have to disagree with you there, While MRC may be good, I never had a problem with my Bachmann packs, Heck I even used a tyco one once (just because I found it in an old box, not as a main one) So most will do it in my opinion.
I disagree with your disagree,THE starter packs will work ,but not in a good way the excessive load will cause a type of brown out and is Not GOOD FOR THE MOTORS!I like to steer folk in the right direction ,a MRC transistorized dc controller puts out a Cleaner signal to the motor and has the amp to back it up, they do not have the power especially if you have trackage,OK FOR SMALL LAYOUT,been there trying to tipple head a few Athearns 40-2S that will run on 4 volts separately Tie to tie,but under load with a tyco transformer as a joke test the motors were noisy and did not run right , same layout with the mrc smooth as silk
Jack