Spectrum 2-8-0 with #44926 Silent Decoder -Headlight Problem

Started by Sunshine Express, April 07, 2014, 10:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

I have fitted Bachmann # 44926  8 Pin Plug Silent Dual Mode Decoder to my Spectrum  2-8-0 and the loco works correctly on both DCC and DC.My EasyDCC System tells me it is on 28 Speed Steps,and is running on forward direction,and has 2 Functions.
However I cannot get the headlight to operate.
The Decoder istructions stated that if the 8 pin plug was in the wrong way the headlight would not  work. I reversed the 8 Pin Plug and it than ran backwards on the track and still no headlight.
I then went back to the original plug setting,and the detaills above were verified with the loco moving in both directions correctly,but the headlight still off.
What advice can the Forum offer here please ?
Owen C Robinson

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Not that it's much help but I can't get the headlights to work on any of my Spectrum steam that are equipped with four function decoders.

The Bachmann engines that come equipped with sound, the headlights work no problem.

My engines equipped with WOW sound decoders, headlights all work fine but the four function decoders?  Nothing. Besides, all steam engines are slowly having WOW sound decoders fitted.

However, with the four function decoders I've given up trying as during steam days and in daylight, the headlight was never used so it's not really a big deal.  Having the headlight 'On' for steam is a diesel thing and was only required on steam in the very last years of their existence.

Cheers

Roger.

Sunshine Express

jward, thanks I have tried functionO, with no results,but your advice is appreciated,as I have been known to miss the most obvious cause in such matters .owen
Owen C Robinson

Sunshine Express

Roger,thank you,I feel better already, hearing  your experiences with decoders. cheers Owen
Owen C Robinson

Bucksco

Perhaps the headlight is burned out or not seated properly?

rogertra

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 08, 2014, 08:45:32 AM
Perhaps the headlight is burned out or not seated properly?

I currently have a 2-8-0 and two light 4-8-2s where I cannot get the headlight to function using a four function decoder.

I use JMRI to program the engines but the headlights refuse to co-operate.

As I wrote previously, it's not a real bother as I model 1958 and steam headlights would be out in daylight hours anyway.

Within the next 12 months, they'll all have WOW sound keep alive decoders installed and that will solve the problem.  At least for me.  :)

Cheers

Roger.

Sunshine Express

Yardmaster Thank you, it may be burny out or loose as you suggest,but  how do I get at it ?.
Cheers Owen
Owen C Robinson

Sunshine Express

Following  the Yardmastr's advice to check if the the bulb was burnt out etc..
I did not know how to remove the body, so I took out the DCC Decoder Plug and replaced the original DC Plug,and tested the 2-8-0, on DC which  showed the headlight working in forward.
I also tested the 2-8-0 on DCC with  my new Bachmann DCC/Sound 2-6-0 , to check direction on the same track ,both locos moving forward correctly,but no headlight in the  2-8-0 after pressing Button # 0  . This is  the first Bachmann Decoder I have fitted to a Bachmann Locomotive,and the headlight inoperative.In short,not as described in the product Easy Start Up Guide specifications. Since 2003 I have fitted a number of Dual Mode Silent  Decoders of brands not mentioned to Bachmann Models without a fault.  I thought this conversion of Bachmann to Bachmann equipment would be the best. Did I buy the wrong Bachmann type or is this one faulty ?.  Appreciate advice ,
Cheers  Owen
Owen C Robinson

rogertra

Removing the body on all Bachmann steam follows a similar pattern.

For the 2-8-0 it's dead easy: -

Remove the screw from under the front that goes up into the steam chest that's between the cylinders.  The ends of the ladders from the pilot deck have two plastic tabs that fit into the boiler at the walkway. Pull straight out from the side to release these tabs.

Remove the drawbar screw and drawbar, which makes it easier to get to the other screw under the cab. Slide the frame back and down and the frame and drivers should come out easily.

Dead easy and most Bachmann steam follow the same general arrangement.

Cheers

Roger.

electrical whiz kid

As  matter of doing things, I change out headlights for LEDs if they don't come with one in the first place.  Roger, what is a WOW decoder?
Rich C.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on April 14, 2014, 10:23:49 AM
As  matter of doing things, I change out headlights for LEDs if they don't come with one in the first place.  Roger, what is a WOW decoder?
Rich C.

https://www.tcsdcc.com/

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Products/Decoders/WOWSound/index.php

Jerry