News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tROLLEY CARS??

Started by PELAGO, February 23, 2014, 07:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PELAGO

I can still remember Trolley cars in Chicago, they ran in the streets, yes they were on tracks, last one on Clark street.
I am building a new layout, from ground up, literally.  new addition to work room 12X16 exterior numbers, and it will be all train, leaning to around the wall type.
thats the back ground, now here is the topic
3 rail track for trolleys, how would one make a 3 rail track "in concrete" as it was done "In the Days"
never ever saw ties,  just track, lots of them, all in the street, probably a ton of dollars worth of scrap sitting in the streets of Chicago as we speak.
but back to the topic,  for realism no ties would ever been seen, i sure do not remember them and if one went to clark street in Chicago they probably are still there.
so how does one make that realistic move to re birth an era?
would have loved to see a trolly going by this corner

Joe Satnik

Dear Pelago,

Wow.  Wonderful scene. 

Here are the Williams by Bachmann E-Z Street products:

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=491_599

This is a continuation of the K-Line and K-Line by Lionel "SuperStreets" track and vehicle line.

You may find some K-line or K-Line by Lionel pieces that WBB has not yet released in hobby shops, online hobby shops or online auction sites.   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ebtnut

Generally, the trolley lines were laid with ties but then the street surface (concrete, asphalt, brick, cobblestones) was laid over top level with the top of the rails.  Most lines uses a special girder rail that was rolled with a flangeway to protect the wheel flanges and help guide the cars on sharp curves.  When the trolley lines were abandoned, the cities sometimes just paved over the tracks.  Other times, especially if the street was in need of rehab, they dug everything out before repaving. 

Modelers have used printed circuit board ties and soldered the rail to them before applying the street finish materials.  I'm installing an HO trolley line on a club layout.  I'm spiking the girder rail down right on the base Homasote and plan to use a plastic material called Sintra for the street paving material.   

phillyreading

E Z Streets is the new name for the trolley style track by WBB.
I like the older K-Line Super Streets because they had more track choices then E Z Streets does. With K-Line you had a Y type of switch that allowed you to make a return loop with only one track being used after the Y.
Western Depot has the older K-Line track or had it. Their website is; www.westerndepot.com look under both K-Line and Lionel track.
Also Super Streets and E Z Streets have a different type of set up and wiring then tubular track and need power drops quite often to keep the power at a good level.

Not sure if E Z Streets is on the market as yet.

Lee F.