News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann HO Heavyweight passenger cars

Started by MilwaukeeRoadfan261, February 26, 2014, 05:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

Bach man does not run the company.  I bet he is glad that he doesn't.  He does not know what Bachmann is working on until they are ready to start production.  So give Him a break.

the Bach-man

Dear Brewman,
I read every post every night.
I do, in fact, know what we're working on, but we make announcements at specific times. The next announcements will be made at the NMRA National this July.
Wild horses can't drag any serets out of me!
; )
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Brewman

Thanks for the reply Bach-man, that was all I asked for ;). Guess I will have to wait and see. Wish I could tell if these new cars have the same detail as the older spectrum cars we already have.

electrical whiz kid

I am going to challenge the comments about "rich man's hobby".  The prices have by and large, increased in concert with the rest of the stuff out there.  If you want to find decent prices, go to the trade shows, or e-bay, etc.  HOWEVER....Do be careful.  "Caveat Emptor" does apply here more than most other venues.
I have acquired most of my stuff in past years, but will agree about the quality, too.  For Instance, I have stuff from the past that I would not even think about running behind one of these fine Bachmann locos; they will probably spend the remaining years of my life sitting on the shelf-way up high, and way in back!  This is discretionary money we are talking about-and
it is a capitalist economy, [so] competition would be pretty tight.  I know that when I price out a job, I do a balancing act as to costs, what the other guy is charging for the same thing, and what I (hope to) realize as profit.  it is a tough world, after all.
Rich C.

Doneldon

Quote from: rogertra on March 07, 2014, 06:14:12 PM
Quote from: Yardmaster on March 06, 2014, 08:25:01 AM
Serets?
I could tell you what that means but it's a secret.
Cheers
Roger.

Roger-

No, it's not. It's a seret.

-- D

electrical whiz kid

In "Ye OLD DAYS", John English produced some of (what I thought at the time was) the best heavyweight passenger cars.  They were all ZAMAC in composition; and what they ultimately lacked in detail could have easily added on by a fastidious (or very lucky) modeler.  These cars were very track-worthy, and nice and heavy.  Ahhhh, the good old days...
RIch C.

Doneldon

Rich-

I still have some of the old zamac cars from Penn Line. They certainly did hug the rails reliably!

-- D

RAM

Penn line and  John English were two different company.  I don't recall Penn line ever making passenger cars.  The made mainly locomotive of Pa RR.  John English made a 2-8-2 and a 4-6-2 as well as the two passenger cars.  You could made real nice MU cars out of them. 

Doneldon

Quote from: RAM on March 07, 2014, 09:34:37 PM
Penn line and  John English were two different company.  I don't recall Penn line ever making passenger cars.  The made mainly locomotive of Pa RR.  John English made a 2-8-2 and a 4-6-2 as well as the two passenger cars.  You could made real nice MU cars out of them. 

RAM-

Yes, they did. They sold the zamac cars and later plastic ones using what certainly looked like the same molds. The plastic cars used plastic which wasn't carefully blended so the unpainted kits looked like the bodies were made of marble. The plastic bodies had zamac floors and undercarriages. The kits had four-wheel Talgo trucksand all of the cars were shorties. They actually made a pretty good looking train when they were carefully assembled and painted.
                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

ryeguyisme

will this new run of heavyweight have better handling and new tooling? Perhaps an actual  baggage car?

I didn't like the old Spectrum heavyweights, even with duel wheel pickup(which should be done to everything now even loco tenders) the coupling design and the diaphragms left a bit to be desired.

If the new run fixes the old problems, I'd be willing to buy these new heavyweights at this new price bracket considering street price is usually almost half that.

Remember you get what you pay for,
more money, more bells and whistles