News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale Bachmann Locomotives

Started by firetrain, March 02, 2014, 01:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firetrain

I am having trouble with my Bachmann N scale locomotives running on kato unitrack. I have Kato locomotives that run fine, what could be the reason for the bachmann not to run?

kewatin

WHAT kind of problems are you having,you don't state what these are. 90% of my locos are bachmann and i use kato track exclusively using dcc and never experienced a problem .their system is almost bullet proof. the only minor problem i have encountered are a traction tire loss,but doesn't stop the loco from running.if you state your problem i am sure you will recieve the help needed from forum members to help resolve your issues. again you need to list the problems you are experiencing.
regards&later KEWATIN

firetrain

The problem i am having is that when the locos run around the track they just stop loose power. I run one DCC and two dc locos. The all start out fine just when the get going the stall out.

firetrain

I run dc track and only one dc train at a time

brokemoto

Which B-mann and which Katos are you operating?

A couple of possibilities:  Is the track clean?  Even nickel-silver track oxidises.  You should have a track eraser and clean it regullarly.  Are the sections properly fastened?   Is there any accumulated dirt in the trucks or drivers of the locomotives?

I am using the Kato UNITRAK.  I use the straight pieces, the thirteen and three quarter and eleven inch curves as well as the #4 turnouts.

I operate many Bachmann locomotives.  I operate the 4-6-0, 2-6-0, 2-8-0, 4-4-0.  I operate the two GE industrial diseasels, the FM roadswitcher, the GP-7, the S-4 and the NW-2.  None show stalling problems on the UNITRAK.   They will not, however, operate on the UNITRAM street trackage turnouts (or curves, in some cases).

kewatin

FIRETRAIN in your reply #2 you state you are running locos that are DC&DCC together. this is not possible as they are 2 different types of current .my layout is dcc &dc and i have a switching device with a safety interlock and before i installed it i forgot to switch the dc off and fried my nce power board.what type of transformer are you running? kato .bachmann or what?  are you running purely dc or dcc only?do you have a simple block system on your layout so locos won't run into the same area of track possibly creating an overload.perhaps you are new to the hobby,no insult intended or maybe not familiar with the difference between dc and dcc. if so please state so we can help you. i know when i changed from dc to dcc that i needed to learn all over again but the transition was easy as many folks helped me on this forum as well as others.you are on the right track but more information from you would be most helpfull.what size is your layout? size of power supply. do you have additional feeders so you don't get a power drop.never be afraid to ask /no question is silly.this is how we all learn.
regards&later KEWATIN

firetrain

I cleaned the track, I dont run both dc and dcc at the same time only one at a time I have two tracks and run two power packs.  I run a bachmann F7A and B units dcc ready, a alco RS-3 DCC on board and a Baldwin 4-6-0 Dcc ready, My Kato locos are Ge44-9w and are dcc ready they have no problem running.

skipgear

Stalling in a DC loco is due to electrical power loss. It could be due to dirty track, dirty wheels, dirty pickups or a failing transformer. Are there any turnouts in the layout? Do the locos stall in the same place or randomly?

Some points to help clarify.....

Bachmann F7A & B: Bachmann never made a DCC ready F7A and F7B. The old Spectrum units were very DCC unfriendly. If they are the new F7's then they are DCC on board.

Baldwin 4-6-0: This loco is DCC on board.

What transformer are you using?
I am guessing that all your Bachmann locos are new, and if so, they are all DCC. The DCC decoders in these locos don't play well with some transformers. If the transformer is a pulse power style transformer, the decoders can interpert the pulses as a DCC signal and get confused causing erratic behavior.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

firetrain

I am using a Kato transformer, and yes they seem to stall out at the same spot on the track in a curve sections. I have cleaned the track. I think that the transformer may not support the locos since i have two tracks and it does the same with both. thanks

Mark.S+10

If the locomotives stall at the same point it is a track power problem and not a problem with the locomoitves.  The point where the locos stall is not getting adequate power.  Do you have any feeder wires or are you running the entire layout from one power input?  If the latter you need to run feeder wires for at least every three feet of track.  If the former, uput in a feeder wire where the locos are stalling.

Have fun, Mark

firetrain

Ok I will add a second feeder to the layout and see if that works thanks.

James in FL

Hi firetrain,

A couple of things I would check before adding additional feeders seeing as a long wheelbase loco does not have a problem in that spot.
Check your rail joiners be sure they are clean and tight at the problem spot.
Also check to see that the track is not bowed or dipped in that area with a straight edge on the top of both rails. There may be something off level on either the x or y axis. This could cause a wheel(s) leaving the rail head.
If you notice a slowing of the locos in one area of the layout this would indicate a possible voltage drop in that area. If that's the case, then that's where an additional feeder should go.

Good luck

firetrain

I want to say thanks for all the help and advice. I took the track apart and cleaned and made sure all the connections were connected and found that i had a short in the track from them not be connected right. Once again thanks to all of you for the help.