News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GGI

Started by lilskippr, March 07, 2014, 03:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilskippr

I was wondering if Bachmann ever considered making a large scale GG1 with passenger cars to compete with USA trains and MTH?

Bucksco

Extremely doubtful.....

Chuck N

Just curious, with 3 other GG1s out there, LGB, MTH, and USAt, why do you think Bachmann should make one?

Chuck

scottychaos

Quote from: Chuck N on March 08, 2014, 09:45:12 AM
Just curious, with 3 other GG1s out there, LGB, MTH, and USAt, why do you think Bachmann should make one?

Chuck

And that's already two more than necessary..

Scot

NarrowMinded

Very light market for a loco that big. Not a lot of people have room to run them.

Theres a lot of factors to consider, if you made a inexpensive one people may buy it just for display, but to make it cheaper might make it unsuitable for a display, (may look too toy like)

Sure there would be a good base to start from to add detail, BUT by the time you add and modify it the cost of parts likely takes it beyond the cost of the higher quality production units. Etc etc...

NM-jeff

JerryB

Add to the above responses that the GG-1's were highly specialized electric locomotives. Very few LS RRs are based on overhead electrics.

And, no manufacturer is going to make that kind of highly specialized locomotive where three other manufacturer's models already exist.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Chuck N

I have one of the USAt GG1s.  It is a very heavy engine.  I have never weighed it, but my guess is that it is a little over 50 lbs.  It is a very nice engine, with excellent sound.  It isn't one I had to have, but a few years ago I was in Caboose Hobbies and they had one on consignment.  I was able to get the engine and 5 USAt PRR streamliners for the price of a new GG1.  It was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Chuck,

Those kind of deals get me every time ;D!!!  I had to tell you that I got a great big chuckle ;D out of how you got that deal you could not pass up 8).  Seems like those deals keep our train rooms full of goodies we don't really need ::).  I have bought collections, just to get some hard to find items I did "need" ::) :o!, problem is I never seem to get rid of most of the items I did not need! ;D ::).    I need a bigger barn!!

Cheers & Beers

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

tac

Forget the GG-1, how about ANY of the Great Northern electrics as used in the Cascade Tunnels?

The Y-1?  Them's a MAN's locomotive!!!  ;D

I have drawings of this wonderful prototype in 1/29th, ready for me to get the irresistable urge to build one.

To help me out I have four H0 variants in brass, made by Tenshodo, and a couple of spare sets of LGB pantographs.  AND a bucket full of rivets, too.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS