News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine Noise

Started by janedoedad, March 09, 2014, 11:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janedoedad

Bought a box of older DC engines on eBay for cheap.  These are Bachmann diesel engines with the 'pancake' motor. 

Cleaning and lubrication has most of these working well.   Others, not so much.

Two engines make a loud 'clacking' noise when run.  Sounds like a stick being dragged against a picket fence.  One engine runs at a decent speed, the other moves slowly.  What causes this and what to do for repairs?  ???

Thanks!

JDD
The Liver is Evil and Must Be Punished!

rogertra

Quote from: janedoedad on March 09, 2014, 11:19:58 PM
Bought a box of older DC engines on eBay for cheap.  These are Bachmann diesel engines with the 'pancake' motor. 

Cleaning and lubrication has most of these working well.   Others, not so much.

Two engines make a loud 'clacking' noise when run.  Sounds like a stick being dragged against a picket fence.  One engine runs at a decent speed, the other moves slowly.  What causes this and what to do for repairs?  ???

Thanks!

JDD

"Bought a box of older DC engines on eBay for cheap..."

That sentence explains everything.  Throw them away.

Hunt

Bought a box of older DC engines . . . what to do for repairs?  ???
. . .
If you like to tinker --  have the aptitude, the tools, and  money to support the tinkering then,  re-motor and re-gear them.  However,  I suggest placing them in the Bone Yard and spend the money on current production models.

rogertra

Quote from: Hunt on March 10, 2014, 12:58:19 AM
Bought a box of older DC engines . . . what to do for repairs?  ???
. . .
If you like to tinker --  have the aptitude, the tools, and  money to support the tinkering then,  re-motor and re-gear them.  However,  I suggest placing them in the Bone Yard and spend the money on current production models.

Sadly, older Bachmann engines with the pancake motor are just not worth the time nor effort to fix.  The newer models are far, far superior.

If you had asked before buying, most of us would have told you not to bother but......  :(

Cheers

Roger.

Doneldon

JDD-

The odds are probably against you as far as restoring the eBay locos to good function because they are, presumably, old ones. Most older models had marginal power systems, poor detail and (often) outrageous paint. Few will return your investment because, even if you get them fixed up, you'll still have marginal old models with inadequate detail. However, you could also have a great find worth your time and money.

The thing is, we can't tell you if this, or anything about these pieces, is worth restoring because we don't actually know what you have. So ... if you're interested, tell us what you have and we'll try to advise you. We need the prototype for the model, the manufacturer's model number (NOT the number painted on the side), and anything else you can tell us about the locos' origen.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

electrical whiz kid

Unless you are in the market for used brass imports, stay away from older plastic models; they aren't worth the time and money it would take to restore, repair, upgrade, etc. to present day standards.  Even brass can require some extensive tweaking to get it to running condition.  "Caveat Emptor" does indeed apply on these sites and in these kiosks.
Rich C.

janedoedad

My OP wasn't very clear.  The two engines with the clacking issue are the same ones where speed is mentioned.  I was hoping that the clacking was a repairable problem.   Oh well. . . .   

I ended up with 10 locomotives for about $70.  Got these mostly to tinker with.  Three of the engines run well with the pancake motor, two are geared and run very well (They seem to be more responsive and run with less throttle) and one DOA.   I think I will be able to Frankenstein the DOA and the rest into two good locomotives. 

Thanks for the help!

JDD

richg

Since you have the time and inclination, carefully take the offending motors apart and check for cracked gears, maybe burrs on the teeth.. Look for any binding of moving parts.
You might like the below links. Store them in Favourites. Good reading.
Amazing what you can find with Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Farish

http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=split-gears

Rich

Desertdweller

JDD,

So you spent $70 and got 10 locomotives.  If I am understanding this correctly, 3 run acceptably well, and two more run quite well.  So you have gotten 5 operable locomotives for $70?  Or are the two that run quite well part of the three that run acceptably well?

The important thing here is not whether other posters here think you got a good deal or not.  The important thing is if you feel you got an acceptable deal for the money.

If only three perform acceptably, you have paid $23.33 per good unit.  If five perform to your satisfaction, you've paid $14 per good unit.  Either way, if you are happy with them, I'd say you did well.

As for the ones with problems, a clicking noise is often caused by a cracked gear, or a piece of foreign material caught between a couple of gear teeth.  It may also be from a burr on the gear, but that usually soon wears down in use.

I've never owned any pancake motor locos, because these came out after I switched to N scale.  From what I have seen from my friends' locos, is the main problem with the pancake motor is it is too small to produce the amount of power usually needed.  This will depend on your model railroad:  how many cars you pull, what grades you have.  Again, if you are happy with it, no problem!

Unless you buy model locos with the intent of reselling them, the return on investment on model locos is the use and enjoyment you get from running them, either at home or on a club layout.  Myself, I buy them new and run them until they are worn out.

Les

jbrock27

I agree with the points made in all the above posts.  I would add, that IMO, I would not have pumped $70 (was that with or w/o shipping included?) into a box of pancake motor locos bc if tinkering was your goal, there are much better options as far as used locos go, for tinkering purposes, on Ebay than these.
I also would not spend $ or time in re-motoring any of them (cannibalize them for parts, since you now have them? yes). 
I second that the clicking is likely an axle gear.  For all the talk about flash on gears, I have yet to come across that, cracked ones on the other hand... ::)
Question now becomes, any of those parts still available for replacement purposes, other than cannibalization?
All that said, do you have the ability to post pics (with the shell off) of the ones giving you trouble jdd ?
Keep Calm and Carry On

janedoedad

Shipping was included in the $70.   ;D   Of the ten:  Five are operational with no issues.  The others are the two with the clacking noise, One DOA (sold as organ donor), One with a loose truck and the last one stalls going forward and runs fine in reverse (Not a Bachmann).  I am happy with what I got.  Should end up with 7 useful locomotives when done.  Maybe 8 if I am lucky.   Six of the ten are Bachmann, The others are one each of Mantua, Model Power, AHM Tempo and PlayArt

The two with the clacking noise have pancake motors. The appear to be the same model, with different shells.  T

Santa Fe

Southern Pacific

ht

jbrock27

More good pics!  Are these of all the ones that don't operate or operate poorly?  It is a good thing you are happy with the lot.

Where'd you find the Atlas insulated rail joiners?  My LHS was out of them.
Keep Calm and Carry On

janedoedad

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 11, 2014, 07:15:33 AM
More good pics!  Are these of all the ones that don't operate or operate poorly?  It is a good thing you are happy with the lot.

Where'd you find the Atlas insulated rail joiners?  My LHS was out of them.

Top two on right on the ones making noise. (Bachmann)

Second from top left has the stalling issue (Not Bachmann)

Bottom right has the loose truck. (No Bachmann)

Second from top right is DOA

The rest operate properly.

Bought a mixed lot of parts on eBay, included were lots (more than I will ever need) of insulated joiners.  PM me your address and I will send you a dozen or two.

JDD

Doneldon

Quote from: janedoedad on March 11, 2014, 07:32:52 AM
Top two on right on the ones making noise. (Bachmann)
Second from top right is DOA.

JDD-

Is the second from the top left DOA or noisy?

-- D

Dieselman

They would still look good on the layout at the repair shop