News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann 060

Started by antfc, March 11, 2014, 03:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antfc

Hi all, I have a bachmann 060 with vandy tender, on board dcc. I would like to know which cv to change to make headlight stay on in forward and reverse. Hope you can help.
Thank You
Tony

bapguy

The decoder does not support this. It is a low end one. You will need to replace the decoder if you want this function.  Joe

antfc

Ok, thanks Joe, that is what I will do.

richg

A Digitrax DZ125PS will plug in. Not much bigger than a dime.
TCS has a small decoder with eight pin plug I believe.
Couple people here like TCS a little better.

Rich

antfc

Thanks Rich, I haven't looked under the hood yet, but is it 8 pin or hard wired? I looked on the TCS site, and it shows a 060 tank loco, (same loco I think?), which the decoder is hard wired. Thanks again.
Tony

richg

Quote from: antfc on March 11, 2014, 04:11:11 PM
Thanks Rich, I haven't looked under the hood yet, but is it 8 pin or hard wired? I looked on the TCS site, and it shows a 060 tank loco, (same loco I think?), which the decoder is hard wired. Thanks again.
Tony

The DZ125 will hardwire.
Check both decoder sites. All the decoders I have ever seen show the decoder size.
Probably need a fine tip soldering iron.

Rich

antfc

Hi Rich, loco is HO, but I think it is hard wired. Just now trying to get shell off, not there yet. Thanks
Tony

richg

Quote from: antfc on March 11, 2014, 04:25:13 PM
Hi Rich, loco is HO, but I think it is hard wired. Just now trying to get shell off, not there yet. Thanks
Tony

The on line diagram page as usual is not up to date. It does not show any electronics.
Check the diagram page that came with your loco.
Some Vandy tenders can be a challenge to open. Might be a couple screws under the front truck when you have the tender upside down.
Good chance there is a PC board inside that the decoder plugs into. All the Bachmann with a tender have a PC board.
Cut the caps off the PC board. Labelled with a C.
Don't be concerned about the two inductors. They are not an issue with no caps. Some are wire wound. Some look like two green resistors. The coloured rings tell you the value and that they are inductors.
A tuned circuit needs a cap and inductor.
If you decide to remove the inductors, solder in a piece of wire.
Some who don't understand electronics rip out everything. Be advised, it the loco has an LED, you need a 1k, 1/4 watt resistor.

Rich

richg

I had an older 0-6-0 with Vandy tender and there was one screw near the front truck that held the shell in place.
The rear part of the shell was held my a couple plastic pieces on the bottom half. Just lift up the front of the shell.

Rich

antfc

Hey Rich, Cannot get shell off, not my day LOL...I can see decoder in cab of loco. I will keep trying, but no big deal. Thanks for your help.
Tony

richg

Quote from: antfc on March 11, 2014, 05:17:05 PM
Hey Rich, Cannot get shell off, not my day LOL...I can see decoder in cab of loco. I will keep trying, but no big deal. Thanks for your help.
Tony

My Vandy, the trucks just popped right off. Yours might have a screw holding the truck in place. Some Bachmann tenders, you have to swivel the truck a little as the screw/s might be hidden by the truck.
The is even a chance the shell is a press fit over the frame. Might have to pry the sides of the shell from the frame. Just a guess on that.
A diagram would at least show you if there is a screw or two.

Rich

richg

A few have put a Micro and small speaker into a Bachmann 0-6-0T but a tight squeeze with a little frame modification.
The LokSound Micro is a tiny bit smaller decoder. I have used both both not in a loco.

Rich

antfc

Rich, the little guy in the loco said,"you aint gettin this shell off, no siree"! LOL. Will try another day. I won't buy a decoder yet, until I can get the shell off...no electronics in tender, just weights.
Thanks
Tony

Jerrys HO

antfc

Is this a UP 4441 loco? If so I have the same one and the decoder is where the engineer would be in the cab not the tender.
There is one screw if you look under the cab roof I almost missed it when I pulled mine up.

Jerry

antfc

Hi Jerry, this is a 060 with tender, the part that is holding me up is the front of the loco, don't know if I just slide it off or pull it up?? Frustrating to say the least.
Thanks
Tony