News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Johnstown Altoona PA trip

Started by richg, March 11, 2014, 09:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

it should be noted that cresson is also home to the sd80macs on ns. the engine service facilities are right across from the viewing platform. cresson also boasts a bed and breakfast geared towards railfans, as does gallitzen.  cassandra also hosts a railfan motel, though you can't see the trains from the motel.

since my tastes run more towards being trackside on a busy modern railroad, this area is one of my favourites. i have done several train logs over the years, and traffic is pretty consistently about 75-80 trains in a 24 hour period. (the csx former b&o line about 40 miles to the south runs half that on a good day.)
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: jward on June 17, 2014, 06:24:35 PM
it should be noted that cresson is also home to the sd80macs on ns. the engine service facilities are right across from the viewing platform. cresson also boasts a bed and breakfast geared towards railfans, as does gallitzen.  cassandra also hosts a railfan motel, though you can't see the trains from the motel.

since my tastes run more towards being trackside on a busy modern railroad, this area is one of my favourites. i have done several train logs over the years, and traffic is pretty consistently about 75-80 trains in a 24 hour period. (the csx former b&o line about 40 miles to the south runs half that on a good day.)

Thanks. That one is on the list also.

As a side note. the Backshop at Steamtown was very informative. Now I know why some steamers will never be restored. Too much wear on the boiler. Ultra sound has proved that.
Lots of machining has to be done to restores a steamer.
The Backshop is right behind the roundhouse and only accessible by a tour.
For those who have never been there, you can walk in the rear of the roundhouse and you walk right by the front of the loco. Some have the smokebox open. Handicap accessible. Metal guardrails keep you inside the walking area.

Rich

jward

this just shows how much we have lost over the years. up until about 30 years ago, you could sign a release and have the run of some pretty major yards. in 1983, a friend and i got a tour of b&o's cumberland shops by simply writing them and asking. this was and is a major facility capable of complete overhauls in the way steamtown is to-day. the big difference is that steamtown is set up for tours, the b&o took the time out of their day to show us around a busy facility during a normal workday. nobody will do that anymore.

for those who have never been able to tour a facility like this, go if you ever get the chance. some of the equipment they have in the backshop is absolutely fascinating: overhead cranes capable of lifting entire locomotives, drop tables where they can lower an entire axle from a locomotive while it is sitting on the rails, and wheel lathes capable of grinding wheels into the proper profiles while they are still on the locomotive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

You can still wander all though the yard ar Steamtown.
We arrived about ten minutes before an announced tour of the backshop which is restricted to only tours.
lots of equipment for overhauling locomotives. Steam or diesel.
Large lathes and milling machines and overhead cranes. Quite something on how a tire is replaced on a driver.

Rich

RAM

When I was in high school I would go out to the yards and roundhouses full of live steam locomotives and talk to workers and no one said a thing.  I would even ask if I could get up in the cab while the local crew went for lunch.  Just don't touch anything.  Now with BNSF, if you cross that line you may face a week in jail.

ebtnut

Re:  Restoration of steam locos.  While the boiler condition is an important issue, it doesn't have to be a show-stopper.  Several tourist-era locos have gotten new boilers made.  The one that comes immediately to mind is the Climax being restored at Cass, WV.  Yes, it is expensive, like any steam-realted work.  The real killer is if the main frame is cracked beyond a welding repair.  I'm not sure that there is anywhere in the country that has the technology to cast a new steel frame. 

RAM

I have spent the last week in Washington St.  The other day we drove by a tourist line.  the had one 2-6-6-2 in good shape.  They also had about 10 other locomotives that were just rusting away.  a 2-6-6-2, 2-8-0, 0-6-0 and other geared locomotives.  It is great to save them, but sad to see them rust.  Up here they have a lot of rain which is bad news for anything made of steel.