News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Repair Time

Started by TRyburn, February 12, 2014, 09:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRyburn

Just curious what I should expect related to repair time.  I sent in two steam engines a month ago for repair and haven't heard anything back, is that normal?  I sent it UPS and it was signed for so I know the package got there.  I've tried following up with email three times.  The first time I got an email back stating to check back in a few days.  The last two emails have not been responded to.  Perhaps there is a huge backlog, but it I would think there could be a simple update saying that the items have been received with a ballpark estimate on timing. 

Is this type of thing normal or would you have expected to hear something after a month? 

Thanks,
Todd

the Bach-man

Dear Todd,
Give the service department a call tomorrow (or Friday if the impending storm closes the offices) and you can check in on your repair.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Doneldon

Todd-

All-in-all, Bachmann service is very good and responsive. However, things can get hectic in the run up to Christmas and for a couple of months after. Lots and lots of trains are sold for the holiday and, consequently, there is much more activity at the service center. Most years there have been many posts asking about the timeliness of the service but yours is the first I've seen this year and I'm on this board just about daily. Try to have a little patience even though it's kind of hard to do when you have something that you want to use / play with.
                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

TRyburn

Thanks, I called this morning and left a message.  I'm not in a huge hurry to get the items back, I just want to make sure they are in the system and not misplaced.  The email reply indicated my items weren't in the system yet, which after this much time concerns me.

jdw3rd

Bachmann takes several weeks - literally - to turn things around.  After the holiday ( Christmas ) you may wait 10 weeks or more ( voice of experience here ).  To their defense they have a large share of the overall market and even a < 10% post sale failure rate would be a substantial number......

TRyburn

Well I didn't get a call back so I waited another week and call again.  I actually got someone to answer the phone this time.  She did find my RO# in the system, but had no idea on how long the repair would take.  I was happy that at least the items had finally been checked in.  Given this pace I'll probably wait another 2 to 3 weeks before checking back. 

Doneldon

B'MANN-

Have you thought of having your check-in for service noted on this web site so people can learn that their unit has been received and maybe a ball park idea as to when it might be worked on and returned? I think that will increase customer satisfaction with the process and the brand, as well as save you having to field calls or internet posts about whether you received something or when you might get to it. Just feed the customer's name, model and anticipated start date on a list.
                                                                                                                                                                                       -- D

TRyburn

Just a final update.  I got both loco's back yesterday.  I ran them tonight a both run very smooth.  They didn't repair the locos, they replaced them.  My only minor complaint is that I sent in two different road numbers, one of them was the one headlight version the other was the double headlight variety.   What I got back was the two of the exact same model and road number. 

I'm just keep what I have since they both run well. 

rogertra

Quote from: TRyburn on March 13, 2014, 09:06:20 PM
Just a final update.  I got both loco's back yesterday.  I ran them tonight a both run very smooth.  They didn't repair the locos, they replaced them.  My only minor complaint is that I sent in two different road numbers, one of them was the one headlight version the other was the double headlight variety.   What I got back was the two of the exact same model and road number.  

I'm just keep what I have since they both run well.  

Bachmann do not (generally) repair your models, they replace them.

If they don't have your one in stock, they replace with one of similar value.

If you have, like I and many others have done, custom decal, weather and or detail your models, you should remove the body and just send in the chassis and if model is steam, just send in the locomotive chassis and keep the loco body and tender.  If you do not do that, you will get some other undetailed, unweathered and some random road name back.  You may not get your nicely detailed, weathered and decaled loco back.

Or, you do what I and other modellers on this site do, learn the skills to repair them yourself.

Remember, Bachmann's service department are not modelers.  Their job is to keep the customer happy and they do it the cheapest and most expedient way possible, by replacing the model.  It's cheaper than spending hours trying to repair an inexpensive "toy".

Cheers

Roger.