Anyone use Bachmann EZ track and dcc turnouts

Started by fred lundgren, March 14, 2014, 08:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred lundgren

I have many Bachmann On30 engines with DCC sound. I am thinking about using Bachmann EZ track nickel silver and EZ track DCC turnouts.
Has anyone used this track and DCC turnouts for On30. I am familiar with DCC but have not used it with DCC turnouts. Any advice?
Thanks!

Stevelewis

a modeller  i know  uses  EZ track & DCC turnouts   in  the  fiddle  yard ( Staging  yard) of  his  USA  H0  layout here in the  UK,  but  uses  PECO  Code 83  Flexible track  for the  visible part of  his  layout,  he  bought  the   EZ track as  a clearance line  from a local  shop.  It  works  fine.

Thing  to  remember  0n30  is  7mm /foot  scale,  EZ track  is  imtended  for  HO  which  is 3.5mm/foot scale,  so  the  sleeper (ties) are  small  and incorrectly  spaced  for 7mm scale.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

fred lundgren

Thank you for your reply.
I have some Micro Engineering On30 track and turnouts and tortoise DCC motors. I really like the look of the ME track. However  I am pushing 70 years in age and I am having difficulties in moving about. I am leaning to the Bachmann track system to avoid having to go under any benchwork. 

Stevelewis

Dont  tell me!!!  much  the  same  myself!!   I am  currently  laying  some track on a UK 00 layout  and  although  I am  using flexible  track  on  the  visible  sections  which  will be  more  or  less  straight or  slightly  curved  I have  bought  some  Peco  large  radius curved  track sections  for  some  of  the  parts  which  will be in tunnels etc!

This  layout is  in  a  garden  shed  and  I  have  built  the  baseboards  quite  high up  around 4'6"  so  theres  not  much  bending!!!

railexpert

Stevelewis wrote:
Thing  to  remember  0n30  is  7mm /foot  scale,  EZ track  is  imtended  for  HO  which  is 3.5mm/foot scale,  so  the  sleeper (ties) are  small  and incorrectly  spaced  for 7mm scale.

That's not right.

The American On30 is 1/4 "/ foot scale = 6.35 mm / foot = 1:48. Learn more about it  in the NMRA Standards.
(The British O scale is 7 mm/ foot scale = 1:43,5.)

EZ track is a HO 1:87 scale track, the space between the sleepers is too narrow and the sleepers are too smal. The gauge for On30 and HO is the same 16,5 mm. BUT NOT THE SCALE!!!!
Correct On30 ready built On30 track have  Microengineering  www.microengineering.com and Peco www.peco-uk.com/prodtype.asp?strParents=3309,3316&CAT_ID=3320&numRecordPosition=1.
For handlaid track see Wenz wenz-modellbau.eshop.t-online.de and  Fast Track www.handlaidtrack.com.

Railexpert  ;)

fred lundgren

Thanks everyone for your input.
If I were much younger and healthier I would be using the Micro Engineering track.
I am leaning  to the EZ track and even more important the DCC turnouts because I am having trouble just bending over no less crawling under a layout.
What I really wanted to find out from the On30 forum members is if you are using EZ track and DCC EZ turnouts what your experience has been both positive and negative.
I know that in the Bachmann HO forum there are many threads on Bachmann track but I thought I would start here.
Thanks again for taking time to respond to this issue.

Stevelewis

Quote from: railexpert on March 16, 2014, 11:46:58 AM
Stevelewis wrote:
Thing  to  remember  0n30  is  7mm /foot  scale,  EZ track  is  imtended  for  HO  which  is 3.5mm/foot scale,  so  the  sleeper (ties) are  small  and incorrectly  spaced  for 7mm scale.

That's not right.

The American On30 is 1/4 "/ foot scale = 6.35 mm / foot = 1:48. Learn more about it  in the NMRA Standards.
(The British O scale is 7 mm/ foot scale = 1:43,5.)

EZ track is a HO 1:87 scale track, the space between the sleepers is too narrow and the sleepers are too smal. The gauge for On30 and HO is the same 16,5 mm. BUT NOT THE SCALE!!!!
Correct On30 ready built On30 track have  Microengineering  www.microengineering.com and Peco www.peco-uk.com/prodtype.asp?strParents=3309,3316&CAT_ID=3320&numRecordPosition=1.
For handlaid track see Wenz wenz-modellbau.eshop.t-online.de and  Fast Track www.handlaidtrack.com.

Railexpert  ;)
Rail expert  having  been in  this  Hobby  for  many  Many  years  (since 1960) I  am Fully  aware  of  the  differences   between  US & UK  Standards 
For the  purpose  of  the  reply  I was  making  to  Freds  query  I  dont  consider  a  lecture  on  standards  is  nesessary  or  welcome

pward

Fred, I use the Bachmann EZ track for my On30 trains, including the DDC switches.  I use the EZ command power system for my power and you can control the DCC turnouts right from the command control and there is no wiring involved (other than hooking the EZ command control to the track).  I love it!  I know that the EZ track is not exactly to "scale" for On30, but it works great and is close enough for me.  I am hoping to try the reversing loop module next for the EZ track system.

What I like most about it all is the simplicity and it is portable.  My layout is mostly a Christmas tree set up (I run about 4 trains at once). 

Mr. Bach Man, if your listening, I wish Backmann would produce a larger EZ track turntable (with a 12 inch bridge) for the On30 locos ;)

fred lundgren

Thank you pward
Your reply is exactly what I was looking for ( and hoping for).
Fred