News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann large-scale Heisler problem

Started by tac, March 19, 2014, 12:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tac

Well, I 'won' another Heisler last weekend, mint nad boxed nad, as far as I can tell, never on a track.  Unlettered, too, so I can 'colour it in' for the Old Mill Lumber Co'.

Got a slight problem though.

The cranks are VERY jerky in motion as they reach the bottom of the stroke - particularly noticeable at slow speed - and I like to run it at slow speed to get the benefit of all that hard work put in by Mr Bachmann and the Boys.

So what's the fix - IF there is a fix?

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Kevin Strong

The crankshafts aren't balanced, so as they spin around, they naturally want to flop so the heavy side is on the bottom. If I recall, there's also spring contacts at the end of the cylinders that may or may not be pushing things down as well. (It's been a while--I sold mine a few years ago.) To even the crankshaft rotation, I took some foam rubber and wedged it between the shaft and the ashpan that the shaft runs through. This provides enough drag on the shaft to where it won't flop. I also clipped or bent the chuff triggers, opting for magnets on the square part of the driveshaft near the ashpan as well.

Later,

K

tac

Thank you, Sir, for that.  I have to admit that I would never have thought of inducing drag on the drive shaft to slow down the flop.  Great plan!  I'll give it a try when I get up properly [it's 5:13 am here].

Best

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

tac

Fixed it!

Thank you, Sir!

See - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkBhceCYips&feature=youtu.be

tac, ig, ken the GFT & The No-clank Crankshaft Boys

doug c

Recently shared this tip with others via my info bulletin "THE515".

Alas, previously based on a couple comments this video (well-done/educational !!); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w7gROsC93A   and subsequently not finding within online B'mann cat'   I  figured the loco was never rolled out for public consumption.

Must have happened a few months later,  and no one updated comments  field with new facts to enlighten us !

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

doug c

Thanks Nathan !

Did not even think of chking Georges site since the b'mann vid (comments) and their cat' indicated not produced (but with this data just sold out).   

Reads like they did have a run previous to '08 .....okay chkd my GRmag Index... Senor D. Goodson wrote up a review for the June'04 issue, pg.116 !

doug c

p.s.  sorry Tac and Kevin from off main -the jerk fix,  but at least it gets bumped up to remind others to finally read about the fix :)   
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99