News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

what dcc sound cards to use

Started by dallasrick, March 26, 2014, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallasrick

I have a customer who wants to add dcc sound to 2 steam locomotives, one is a g scale Denver and Rio Grande 4-6-0, cab number 43 and the other is also a 4-6-0 Penn steamer, cab number 863. It looks like either the tsunami 826104 or 826116 sound dcc controllers would work, anyone have any input on this, I very much appreciate any help out there.

Hunt

The SoundTraxx TSU-1000 part number 826116 is for Class C 4-6-0 locomotive the 826104 for a 2-8-0 locomotive.

TSU-1000 is for HO scale but possibly can be used with the Bachmann Big Hauler large scale. Check the stall current draw of the locomotives you have.  The SoundTraxx TSU-1000 is rated one amp maximum.  What is the DCC signal voltage on the track these locomotives will be running on?  The decoder is rated 27 volts max but will likely automatically shut down around 18 volts.

Suggest you discuss with SoundTraxx before using.  http://www.soundtraxx.com

dallasrick

I guess what I am asking is what dcc cards will be sufficient for each of 2 engines on the same track pulling 4 cars and 5 cars, none pulling current from the track, on a flat 0 grade track only needing sound, no lights, as well as what controller is recommended. I haven't gotten the trains in my hand yet, only going by what the owner has told me on the phone, but sounds like a simple setup. What does Bachmann install on G-Scale trains and what DCC controller do they usually recommend or supply? 

Bucksco

You should look for Decoders that are designed to work with Large Scale. They need to be able to handle higher amperage draw in the 3 to 5 amp range. SoundTraxx decoders are designed with smaller scale models in mind - primarliy HO and N scales which are in the 1 amp range. An internet search for "Large Scale Sound decoder" should turn up some results.

Kevin Strong

Bachmann's OEM DCC decoders for all their DCC-equipped locos are manufactured by Soundtraxx. However, Soundtraxx does not sell a standalone DCC decoder suitable for the current which many large scale locos draw. (Alas, their planned 4-amp decoder has been put on the back burner while they work on upgrades to their current technology boards.)

Many folks like QSI's "Titan" decoder for motor and sound control. I've got two of them and am happy with them. Their biggest problem is that under Regulated Throttle Control, the stock CV settings don't allow for smooth slow-speed operation of Bachmann's motors. You've got to go in and customize the PID settings. QSI may have a chart on their web site with suggestions, but they're in the middle of re-designing their site. Once tweaked, motor control is very good. (Or, you can switch to "standard throttle control" and not worry about it.)

I heard TCS's new "WOW" sound decoder at a show a few weeks ago, and was very impressed. They've got a large scale version in the pipeline, but I don't know if it's readily available yet. It might be worth a call to find out. They're saying their sound files are CD-quality, and they did sound very good. (I only heard their steam file, but since you're running steam, it's apropos.)

Other large scale favorites for sound/motor control are ESU and Zimo. The sound libraries on these two favor European locos, but you can customize.

Later,

K

Bucksco

PIKO makes a nice American steam sound decoder set (36220) that would probably do the job nicely.
http://www.piko-america.com/36220.jpg

dallasrick

Thanks for the help Gentlemen, I will be researching all of these to see what will be the best option for my customer. Hope everyone has a great weekend, Rick

Kevin Strong

My only nit to pick with the Piko unit is that there's no chuff cam input, so you can't use the cam on the 4-6-0 to trigger the chuff. You must use the motor voltage to determine the rate of chuff. You can adjust this so it's close, but it won't be perfectly quartered throughout the speed range. But beyond that, it's a good basic decoder.

The QSI, ESU, and Zimo decoders are all right around the $200 mark. Piko's retails for $145. (TCS's new one isn't yet on their web site, but I expect it to be comparable to QSI, etc.) For my money, I'd rather spend the extra $50 per decoder and get one that has--literally--all the bells and whistles, functions and other adjustments. But it depends also on what your client wants and how deep his pockets might be. (There's also a few companies--and I forget who they are--that sell "beefed up" Tsunamis capable of handling 3 amps or so. You'll have to Google them. They're right around the $150 mark if memory serves.)

Of course, the 4-6-0's chuff cam only has two contacts per revolution, so if you are using their chuff cam with one of the other sound units, you're only going to get two chuffs per rotation of the wheel, not the prototypical 4. You'll have to add two more chuff contact strips or see if the decoder allows you to double the chuff.

Later,

K