News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann EZ DCC system

Started by Rollin Mayham, March 31, 2014, 11:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollin Mayham

Does the bachmann Ez DCC system allow you to run a single DC engine with your DCC engines or is the DC slot just for A whole DC layout?

Bucksco

It is for running 1 analog locomotive (although not highly recommended...)

Irbricksceo

the way the DC on a DCC system works is a bit complex, essentially, a DCC system sends commands using something that resembles and AC current, switching polarities across rails in a manner that behaves as a Binary (two state, the 0 and 1's that are in computers) signal. to run a DC locomotive, it stretches out one side yielding a net voltage that would send the DC Locomotive moving.

This means that with the 10 active, you will be altering the signal to make DC locomotives move in the direction you want; the thing is that this is still alternating quickly and as such will damage the Motor in the DC Locomotive if done for extended periods of time and is not really good for it at all, as such, it is not reccomended if it can be avoided.
Modeling NYC in N

richg

The link will tell you everything. Jim is a former contributor here.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/DCC-waveforms/DCC_waveforms.html

When the loco is stopped, the AC component makes the armature oscillate at the DCC frequency. The exact spot the two brushes contact the commutator gets quite hot when the armature is not rotating. I have dome temperature measurements with an infra red temperature scanner. Nature of the Beast. The NMRA knew this when they came up with this option.

Rich

ftauss

Given all this I would think the quick answer is to have a DC transformer and wire your layout as to allow either DC or DCC to power the rails. I have to many DC engines and not all are easily upgradeable though several are and I just ordered my first DCC/sound engine. I ordered the MRC Tech 6 with handheld to run the DCC engine and have MRC Tech DC transformers for everything else. A little careful wiring on the front end I can upgrade at my leisure. I also got a Digitrax catalog and will start researching the different brands and buy a proper system when I'm ready.

I am just curious though how would you have a DC engine not moving if there was power applied to the track. I've heard this a couple of times now that DC engines not moving overheat.

The biggest annoyance so far seems to be reversing loops as the answer seems to be more different between DC and DCC than other challenges.

ftauss

Oops! Never mind on the analog engine not moving. The DCC waveform description helped.

richg

Everyone should realize there are only about three or four DCC systems that will run a DC loco.
Unfortunately, many buyers never take time to read all the details on DCC systems or never take time to research how DCC is used in model railroading today. There is no excuse for that when you can Google it. You have the power at your finger tips with your PC.
Stepping from analogue, DC to digital, DCC is a big step many are not aware of.
Not trying to scare anyone away from DCC but that is the world we model in.

Rich

jward

Quote from: ftauss on April 05, 2014, 03:50:12 PM
Given all this I would think the quick answer is to have a DC transformer and wire your layout as to allow either DC or DCC to power the rails. I have to many DC engines and not all are easily upgradeable though several are and I just ordered my first DCC/sound engine. I ordered the MRC Tech 6 with handheld to run the DCC engine and have MRC Tech DC transformers for everything else. A little careful wiring on the front end I can upgrade at my leisure. I also got a Digitrax catalog and will start researching the different brands and buy a proper system when I'm ready.

I am just curious though how would you have a DC engine not moving if there was power applied to the track. I've heard this a couple of times now that DC engines not moving overheat.

The biggest annoyance so far seems to be reversing loops as the answer seems to be more different between DC and DCC than other challenges.

the way you do this is the way it's been done long before dcc came along. you wire your layout for block control. almost any configuration of block control will work on dcc as well, if you disconnect the dc power source and replace it with the dcc command station. your analog locomotives can be parked in the yard, and power to those tracks turned off. this is something you should consider with dcc anyway, contrary to what the magazines say, because especially with a low powered system like the basic ez command anything you can do to reduce current draw on your system adds to its capacity. even a decoder equipped locomotive draws power while sitting on dcc track, so if you can shut off power to that track, you lessen the load on your system.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

As jward suggests, powering off service tracks, like roundhouse stalls, coaling tracks, diesels fueling tracks and any other storage tracks you have in your engine service area is a good idea.

I must get around to that sometime but as I use an NCE system complete with an SB5 Smart Booster, that gives me an addition 5 amps of power plus plug and unplug walk-around capability, it's not high on my list, as yet.  However, anyone using a Bachmann EZ system, it should be dome ASAP.

Cheers

Roger.

wiley209

I am thinking when I upgrade to the E-Z Command system and build Stage 2 of the track on my layout, I will have one siding be connected to an Atlas Connector switch so I can power it on and off when need be, and put a standard DC locomotive there, while I keep the DCC locomotives running in most cases.
I have a BUNCH of standard DC locomotives, but my Life-Like Proto 1000 F3A is DCC-ready!  ;D