News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-0

Started by Irbricksceo, April 05, 2014, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Alright, After placing a new Bottom plate and therefore brand new contacts in my 2-10-0... It still shorts out randomly as it runs. I know where the issue is, because when using the base plate without the driver contacts and therefore just the tender contacts, it runs fine. But I cannot figure out what is shorting with the Driver Contacts. Does anyone have ideas?
Modeling NYC in N

BaltoOhioRRfan

had the problem with mine, the copper plate in the bottom with the wipers attached would bow down(or up, can't remember) and cause a short. simple fix is the glue or tape it down.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on April 05, 2014, 07:50:04 PM
Alright, After placing a new Bottom plate and therefore brand new contacts in my 2-10-0... It still shorts out randomly as it runs. I know where the issue is, because when using the base plate without the driver contacts and therefore just the tender contacts, it runs fine. But I cannot figure out what is shorting with the Driver Contacts. Does anyone have ideas?

"Shorts out"?

Does it just randomly stall, or does it actually create a short circuit?

Two entirely different problems.

In the mean time, look at your tender trucks.  Are the pick up wheels on alternate sides on each truck.  e.g. They pick up on the right side on the front truck and the left side on the rear truck?

If they are both the same side, this will give you a short circuit.

If you've taken the wheel from the trucks and put them back incorrectly, by mixing the insulated sides, that will also cause a short circuit.

Cheers

Roger.

Doneldon

Quote from: rogertra on April 06, 2014, 03:05:25 AM
Are the pick up wheels on alternate sides on each truck.  e.g. They pick up on the right side on the front truck and the left side on the rear truck? If they are both the same side, this will give you a short circuit.

Roger-

Won't it also short if the pick up wheels are on opposite sides of the tender but with the front truck picking up
from the left rail and the rear truck picking up from the right?
                                                                                              -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on April 07, 2014, 03:15:38 AM
Quote from: rogertra on April 06, 2014, 03:05:25 AM
Are the pick up wheels on alternate sides on each truck.  e.g. They pick up on the right side on the front truck and the left side on the rear truck? If they are both the same side, this will give you a short circuit.

Roger-

Won't it also short if the pick up wheels are on opposite sides of the tender but with the front truck picking up
from the left rail and the rear truck picking up from the right?
                                                                                              -- D

My left and right sides were guesses but although your comment seems logical, IIRC, the last time I kit bashed a tender I didn't check on the "correct" left and right sides, I just reassembled the tender and trucks.  Perhaps I was lucky and got it right by chance?  :)

As the voltage to the track is a bipolar DC signal and this results in a form of alternating current, I don't think it matters.

However, that is another good idea and I'd check just to see if changing the polarity of the pick up wheels makes a difference.

Cheers

Roger.

Irbricksceo

Back, Anyway, it is definitely a shorting issue and unfortunately, it still crops up from time to time (as I said, i was unable to get the copper flat, it is still slightly bowed. While it is not too much of an issue on DC, I will need to get it straightened out before switching to DCC as shorting and delicate Electronics are not a good mix, still, I am thinking about various methods that may work.
Modeling NYC in N

bobwrgt

I had the same problem on 2 of them. You will see the copper bowed up between the wheel contacts. I used superglue to glue the copper down flat against the plastic bottom plate. Problem solved. You could also put a few coats of paint no the frame and on the copper where it bows up.

Irbricksceo

Might I ask how you straightened it to glue it down? It bows because the Metal is longer (I would guess 1/16-3/32 of an inch longer) Than the plastic it is supposed to lay on.
Modeling NYC in N

bobwrgt

Didn't cut anything just glued it down in the middle or as far on both ends. Must have gained enough clearance so it would not short out to the frame.

Irbricksceo

While not directly related to this, that link is very interesting and should prove useful in the future, I should add it to my collection of useful links, Thank you for sharing.
Modeling NYC in N