News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Locomotives?

Started by azflyer2001, April 02, 2014, 04:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azflyer2001

My local hobby shop is closing after 40 years and during my last visit, the topic of scale came up. The owner told me the demand for On30 has been declining for the past few years. That made me think, when was the last time Bachmann came out with a new On30 locomotive? I'm not talking about a sound version, I'm referring to a completely new loco. Seems like it's been several years. Does anyone have information on any new equipment that might hit the market in the next year or two?

Thanks,
Travis

Hamish K

In recent years Bachmann has announced one new loco a year, last year was the Whitcombe diesel which is due in a month or two. Presumably there will be another new loco announced this summer, what it will be is anybody's guess.

Hamish

ScottyB

I am guessing that since On30 is such a niche scale, a vast majority of items are purchased online, giving the impression to LHS's that demand is drying up. On30 now has its own category on eBay, as well as many popular groups on Facebook that seem to be flourishing. The number of On30 related articles in the Narrow Gauge Gazette the last ten years or so has been astounding.

The Bachmann 2014 catalog has quite a few new On30 items: one locomotive and some reissues of freight cars that have not been available in some time. That said, On30 has a smaller market demand than HO, N, O, G, and maybe even S and Z as well, so the expectation of dozens of new models per year is unrealistic.

I am hoping the new Model Railroader On30 layout project will stir more interest, as I still believe 90% of model railroaders have no clue what On30 is or is about. Bachmann's rule is that they do not announce new products until they are imminent. (Yes, I know, "imminent" is a loose definition.)

On the plus side, it doesn't take much to build a narrow gauge roster - most ng railroads had a loco or two and a few dozen freight cars. That's it!

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Stevelewis

I have  to  agree  with  the  above  that  the  popularity  of  0n30  may  be  declining,  I  have  modelled in  the  scale  since  Bachmann  first introduced  the range   some   15 or  so  years  ago,  but  I  have  to  admit  that   my  enthusiasm  for 0n30 these days  is  not  as  great  as  it   was.

I still buy some  0n30  but  not  as  much  as  I used to, I spend  more  on other  scales.

It is  noticable  that  demand  for  0n30 on the  2nd  hand  market has  declined as  well,  it  is  quite  common for  me  to  list   items on eBay  at  reasonable   start  prices  and  not  sell them  wheras   a few  years  back everything  listed  sold  at  good  prices.

Interestingly  Bachmann Europe  produce  around  5 or   6  NEW locomotives  and  several NEW items of rolling  stock  each  year in their   UK 00  &  Ngauge  ranges,  no doubt  the  same  can be  said  for  H0   &  N in the  USA
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Royce Wilson

Some of this has to do with the economy and the other has to do with the models produced in On30 itself.

Bachmann has made some very nice models but the quality of the geared engines lacked and the market suffered for it. I wished Bachmann had produced the standard 4-4-0 instead of that park engine or that ugly South American engine that looks like a duck,the new diesel is a great model and may stur a lot of new intrest,I still wish for a small wagon top 2-6-0 Baldwin or a Mason bogie or maybe even some catalog Porters 0-6-0,2-6-0,2-8-0.

Royce Wilson
Still dreaming ;D

Dusten Barefoot

Thank your Royce. My thoughts exactly, especially on that nasty looking outside frame engine. If bachmann were to make an engine that was not off the wall, the market may jump a little. The 8-18c would've been the best idea for them to have chose. This is just my opinion. I know many were disappointed with the 4-4-0 that came out, and even more disappointed with the fact the MMI didn't even make the ones they promised. If Bachmann were to make a new engine, I believe it should be someone everyone can foam over. 8-18d 2-6-0 would probably be the best idea since it can easily be converted over to a 8-18c 4-4-0.

Rock On!
~Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

mmiller

put me down as another modeler that has lost interest in On30 in part because of the esoteric choice Bachmann has made with their new products...that is not the only reason, but I can't remember the last time I was excited about a new offering from Bachmann after it was announced :-/

I just wish they'd offer us something new that was a bit less quirky than what they have been.
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

RGS Goose

Hi Everyone,
Put me down as a modeller who doesn't like the uninformed assumptions, and complaints, being made by some On30 modellers. Bachmann are doing a great job for the On30 modellers in difficult times, and can't do everything that everyone wants. Wait for new models to come, and buy them if they are what you want. If they aren't what you want, many others will surely be satisfied with them, so don't complain; it is counter productive as I see it, for no good reason.
I have suggested models I would like to see in the past, but I am happy to accept what comes, and wait patiently and hope they might be done, rather than complain they haven't been done.
In the meantime get on with it, and enjoy your railroading.
RGS Goose.

Royce Wilson

RGS,I don't think most people mean to sound like sour grapes,we are very thankful for Bachmann .Prior to Bachmann's arrival in the market you had no choice but to either scratch buid or convert a HO engine.
Yes we have become a little spoiled and we should sound more supportive to Bachmann.

THANKS BACHMANN! ;D

Royce

ksivils

More than anything, I think a low cost locomotive might be a big boon to On30.

I got into On30 as a way to do "poor man's On3."

Namely, I bought two of the Brooks 2-6-0s.  I really enjoyed bashing them and detailing them into a pair of very unique locomotives.

While I have one of the OF 4-4-0s, and yes, I like it, but it has been modified, a 2-6-6-2, OF 2-8-0, 0-4-2 and a Heisler, I don't think I will be buying anymore steam locomotives. They have simply become too expensive for me.

I understand fully why the cost has gone up. They are much more detailed, etc, than the entry level 2-6-0s introduced oh so long ago, come with DCC, etc.

I have two girls in college, so funds are really tight.

A simple, lower cost locomotive inserted into the production schedule might pay dividends in attracting new blood to On30 and allowing us to add to our fleet in a more affordable manner.

The old NWSL On3 and HOn3 Spartan series locomotives come to mind. Low cost, low level of detail, but a good starting point for countless possible variations of narrow gauge motive power. I would imagine the On3 guys would buy quite a few as well!

Bachmann has a difficult task of deciding what models to produce so they can both make a profit and make us, the picky niche group of modelers, happy.

Royce Wilson

I ounce owned both the NWSL Spartans(4-4-0,2-6-0) and the cost back then was around $200 if my old memory serves me well and that was a lot of money back  around 1980 when I sent my kids to college and that does not include the cost of the PSC detail parts it took to finish the model.I finally just gave up and purchased a U.S.Hobbies 13 ton shay and it was nice,it cost around $300 back then.

Back to my point just look at the price of HO engines and you will be blown away.
Personally I model Colorado circa 1902 so the old Bachmann 2-6-0 finds a great home on my layout.

Royce Wilson

mmiller

sigh...some people seem a bit touchy, and since when are personal OPINIONS uniformed assumptions?

if you like the direction Bachmann has taking with On30, more power to you. But I'm not going to just buy what ever Bachmann builds and thank them for the opportunity if I don't like what they are building...
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Royce Wilson

Mike,I am truly sorry if I made you mad,I am just a old fella and we think different.
Your opinions do count and I do respect them. ::)

Just a thought,I am planning on placing radio control in my moguls because I am too old to understand DCC and besides just think about not having to wire the rails.

Royce Wilson ;D

Skarloey Railway

I wonder how many On30 modellers whose main interest is Colorado and the D&RGW are now increasingly looking at HOn3 and the Blackstone range. I also wonder how many HOn3 modellers are looking at Blackstone and wishing they'd produce something other than D&RGW :o

Royce Wilson

I know of a lot of On30 modelers that have went into HOn3 because of Blackstone.

The only thing  Colorado we got in On30 was the mogul. It would had been nice to have had a nice C-16 to backdate or even a real 4-4-0 and a 2-6-0(Baldwins)

Royce