News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Value S-2: Tinkering

Started by jonathan, April 14, 2014, 05:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Admittedly, I'm a steam guy, but the S-2 is in the right era.  Plus, they are a bargain if there ever was one.  I couldn't help myself... had to pick one up at the train show yesterday.  Ran it on the club layout right away.  It took off smooth and sounded very nice--a bit quieter than the other sounders on the layout perhaps.

Here's mine:

OK, on to the tinkering part.  To remove the shell, just take off the coupler boxes and the shell lifts right off.  Easy:

Here's the innards:

I filed down, and burnished, two whisker spring Kadees, which fit in the Bachmann boxes:

Next, I cut out two windows, in order to add a couple of crew figures.  I don't know if these little switchers were a one-man operation, but mine will have a pair of workers:

That's all I have time for today, folks.  Will post further as I get into weathering, weight, and any other tweaks that seem required.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

Jonathan-

I believe the S-2's weight qualified it for a fireman in addition to the engineer.

-- D

jonathan

Thanks for that, Doneldon.  Didn't want my engineer to be lonely.  :)

For the folks with DCC questions, the "Quick Start" guide provides some useful info:

1.  The Soundtraxx decoder comes with Hyperdrive which includes Back-EMF and the other usual programming controls.  The CVs are not listed anywhere in the paperwork, but one can access those details online.

2. Throttle controls:  F0=Headlight which dims in reverse; F1=Bell; F2=Longhorn; F3=Shorthorn;  F7=light dimmer; and F8=Mute.  F4, F5, and F6 are used on the DD40AX, not the S-2.

I cycled through the controls on my UT-R4 throttle and everything worked fine.  Our club operates on Digitrax. 

Have not run it on my DC home layout yet.

One additional note:  The included diagram is much more clear and easy to understand than past diagrams; a noticable improvement.  Thanks Bachmann!

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

any locomotive over 44 tons required a two man crew.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Thanks, Jeffery.  Double confirmation is good enough for me.

I found plenty of color photos of the prototype to go by.  I see the loco will require a bell on the nose and several 18" grabs up front, too.  Finally, the exhaust will need about six scale inches added to the top.

As this is not a Spectrum model, I was not expecting alot of added details.  However, the model seems to follow the prototype quite well, making is easy to add things, without have to cut off anything.

There is next to zero free space inside the model.  Perhaps I can add a bit of weight to the cab roof and just maybe a few slivers of weight above the electronics if I'm careful.  Loco doesn't need pulling weight, just a little bit extra to ensure good rail contact.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

Jonathan,

Can not wait to see what you can do with a diesel ;D. Looking forward to the progress reports.
I ran mine on a LHS's DC layout and it ran just as smooth as the DCC, just needed that little bit more of throttle and seemed to move as smooth as if it were on my layout.

Jerry

ALCO0001

Quote from: jonathan on April 14, 2014, 08:31:17 AM
Thanks, Jeffery.  Double confirmation is good enough for me.

I found plenty of color photos of the prototype to go by.  I see the loco will require a bell on the nose and several 18" grabs up front, too.  Finally, the exhaust will need about six scale inches added to the top.

As this is not a Spectrum model, I was not expecting alot of added details.  However, the model seems to follow the prototype quite well, making is easy to add things, without have to cut off anything.

There is next to zero free space inside the model.  Perhaps I can add a bit of weight to the cab roof and just maybe a few slivers of weight above the electronics if I'm careful.  Loco doesn't need pulling weight, just a little bit extra to ensure good rail contact.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Just got back from Spring Break.  Here's a little update.  

Added some grabs and a little extra piping so far.  Admittedly, not much progress so far, but it's something:

Bracket for the bell:

Still have to find a really, really dark blue to paint the details added.  Weathering will blend it all together I think.

Anyway, now that I'm back home, I should be able to move forward a bit more quickly

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Exhaust extension:

Bell Bracket installed--I put a bit of epoxy on the end of the wire to represent the clapper:

I took a photo of the loco upside-down and flipped it over, in order to test fit the bell, which will be installed last:

Just enough space to squeeze in a tungsten weight recycled from a retired pinewood derby car:

Now on to a couple of placards for the sides and try to hunt down some paint.

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
Turncoat!  (ha ha).  Looks to be a pretty good model-right out of the box it even looks like a lot of potential to be in sync with a lot of roads.  You did a heck of a fine job-as usual.   I just picked up a DM&IR 2-8-2; looks a little ratty, but does run.  This locomotive caught my eye really well many years ago-almost as good as my girlfriend did...  And when I saw it on Evil-Bay, had to get it.  Still some plating on the wheels.  This is the baby that is gonna get a "bath", some pickling, and I am going to experiment around with blackening-just can't get the idea out of my head.
Rich C.

jonathan

Thanks EWK.

Well, I couldn't match the paint exactly, but I believe it's close enough to start prepping the dullcote and weathering paints:

Could use a bit of a rinse, too (dust).

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
You said "Preparing the dullcoat and weathering".  Do you mix them? 
Rich C.

jonathan

Rich,

No. I just get everything lined up first.  The shell will get a mist of dullcote, after I mask off the windows.  Then I'll start applying colors from dark to light: grays, then browns and a muddy light brown.

I'm hoping the weathering process will hide the little discrepancy in the dark blue I've applied.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

OK, to recap:  new couplers, six new grabirons, removed bell from underneath and replaced with new bell up front, cut out windows, added crew figures, added a couple of pipes, some severe weathering, and I'm sure I've forgotten something.

I have ordered a set of diesel air hoses to complete the project. That should be enough details to keep me happy.  :)

As stated previously, Bachmann did a great job of producing a pretty darn accurate S-2.  Great job, Bachmann!  Loco just needed a few tweaks to make it look like #9129--a locomotive that actually existed. 

The model runs, and sounds, very nice. 

What follows are a few final shots at various angles.  The last picture is for SOMEONE who said I needed to add a few living details around my roundhouse!   ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

Jonathan-

I don't think I'd call that "severe weathering," but I would definitely call it outstanding work. Your skills continue to impress.
                                                                                                                                                                                            -- D