Converting Annie to battery/track with new Crest receiver

Started by Howard240, August 17, 2014, 08:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard240

I've posted on this topic before and have a couple more questions.  I have the new Crest receiver with sound, and have made most of the connections per Mr. Carnelos' first article in GRM.  Details of the P8 soundboard are different from the Crest with sound receiver.  I have, though, removed the Bachmann soundboard in the tender.

My goal for sound is to have chuff, bell and whistle.  I won't be using smoke or any other sounds at this time.

I will be asking these questions of the Crest people, but I thought there might be details particular to the Annie that I can get answered here.

First question is about the chuff connection.  The chuff plug has two black wires and one white.  Crest instructions show one black and the white wire as chuff going to a reed switch.  

Can I assume I would solder these two directly to the "sound" wires from the loco? (they indicate white as the common wire).

The instructions then show the second black wire as "whistle" but say nothing about where to connect it.  I assume the bell and whistle are programed into the board -  are any other connections required?

I'll appreciate any input you may have.  Thank you, Howard

Loco Bill Canelos

Howard,

there is no wiring needed for the bell and whistle it is built in and trtiggered by buttons 2 and 3  the 1 button turns the sound on and off 7,  8, 9 control the volume.

the Bachmann Annie chuff sensor  works similar to the reed switch execpt it mechanical rather that magnetic.  The connections to the Bachmann chuff sensor wires are the same as for the reed switch shown in the Crest instructions.   Further detailed questions about the Crest instructions can be answered directly by Navin at the website.  He is very helpful.

http://www.crest-electronics.net/connect.html

IN the link above give the info requested and ask your questions you will get a direct answer from that company.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!