News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Curve and Turnout Sizes

Started by chieffan, April 30, 2014, 06:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chieffan

I need to make some changes on my outdoor layout to get longer curves on one end.  I have been looking at curved track and turnouts trying to figure out which track and turnouts I need.  How can I know what I am getting by the variety of numbers in the different listing for different brands?  Some give me a R-1.  Some 300 mm.  Some 1100 and so on.  Most of the turn outs say nothing or possibly mention long.  And then one will throw in a 22.5° or a 30° or something like that.  I am completely in the dark unless I have it in hand and lay it where I want it and it is either to short, to long or will work.

Rog
Chieffan

Joe Satnik

Hi, Rog.

Download and use the AnyRail.com track CAD program.

http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

It's free for the first track 50 pieces.

(Most loop or siding geometry puzzles can be solved using less than 50 pieces.) 

It's fun and easy to use. 

Tons of different track libraries available.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

chieffan

Thanks for the link Joe.  I have tried to use different CAD programs in HO and it takes way to much time to learn how to use them for what you get.  I would have to spend a lot of time to get all the measurements of my existing track where I want to tie in at.  Then get that all down on the program screen.  Then spend another week trying to learn how to run the CAD program.  Sorry but that is not for me.   I want to run trains not learn to become a computer programmer.

Rog
Chieffan

Chuck N

It would help if you mentioned the manufacturers you are looking at.  From what you have in your post it sounds like LGB, so I'll give answers for LGB.

R1 curves are about 4' diameter, 30 degrees, switches with this curve available
R2 curves are about 5' diameter, 30 degrees, no switches
R3 curves are about 8' diameter, 22.5 degrees, switches available with this curve
R5 curves are about 15' diameter, 22.5 degrees, switches available with this curve.

I am not up on other track manufacturers.

Chuck

chieffan

Thanks much Chuck.  THAT is what I was after.  Been looking at LGB and Aristo.  Aristo curves seem to be all numbered: 1200, 11205, 1205,1210, 1550, etc.  Don't really tell a guy what he is looking at unless he has their book in front of him and then they don't always say the diameter.

Going to get all my extra track down and see what I have for sure.  May just start bending the curve I want while it is raining out for the nest couple days yet.  I know I have a bunch of aluminum flex stashed away that has some curve in it.
Thanks again for the info on the LGB.  going to keep that on file for sure.

Rog
Chieffan

Chuck N

Rog:

On both of my layouts, Virginia and Arizona, I am using "Aristo wide radius" curves.  These are 10' diameter.  I have no idea as to the Aristo part number.  My recommendation is to try to find an aristo catalog.  That should have all the information you will need.

I imagine that a web search on AristoCraft track should yield something that will help.

In Virginia I'm using LGB R5 (18000series) switches on my main line.  I'm using LGB R3 (16000 series) switches in Arizona.  I was using Aristo (wide radius) 10' diameter switches in Virginia.  I really didn't like them. So I switched to the LGB R5 switches.

Chuck

chieffan

I Joe and thanks for the information.  That helps a bunch on the Aristo curve size.  A G scaler is selling out a lot of his equipment and track the end of May on a silent auction.  Has min bid on all of it.  He has a lot of turnouts and curved track listed.  The LGB are all listed at 1200, and 1605.  The Aristo also has several listed as 1605 both left and right.  Probably has close to 25 turnouts in all.  Most are in the $25 to $35 starting price.

I only have two that I will power and they are both LGB I think as they have the orange and white dot by the hook up.  Slowly, I am getting some of this sorted out.  When it quits raining here and warms up again it will get out there and work on it some more.   Have had rain for 5 days straight and temp is down to 40° this morning.  SW Iowa is a little soggy right now and NE of us in the Des Moines area have had a lot more.  Thanks for the info and keep them on the rails.

Rog
Chieffan

glennk28

All this is very well described in the new issue of Garden Railways.  gj