News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"How to Run a Railroad" by Harvey Weiss

Started by wiley209, May 10, 2014, 10:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiley209

My local library has a pretty interesting vintage model railroading book from 1977: "How to Run a Railroad," written by Harvey Weiss. It was apparently written with children and teenagers in mind whom are starting out in model railroading.

It is definitely an interesting read. Being from 1977, this means you won't find any DCC systems, roadbed track, sound modules, or anything other typical modern model railroad entities. We also see the stages of the author's model railroad layout he builds, using mainly AHM and Tyco equipment, custom-built structures out of cardboard and balsa-wood, and an interesting trackplan designed in a 3-1/2x7 sheet of plywood! The book primarily seems to work with HO-gauge, but also mentioning O and N-scales at times. However, a lot of this is still relevant today, and is why my library is still keeping it.

There are some interesting things worth mentioning. The book mentions in starting out:
"It is possible to buy all the parts separately, choosing the amount of track and the type of cars and locomotives you want. But there is such a wide variety of sets on the market you can usually have a large choice, and at the same time get a somewhat cheaper price, by buying the complete, packaged set. In some cases, the store may let you substitute one part for another. The set I bought came originally with a diesel engine. However, I preferred a steam engine. The store was able and willing to make the swap for me."

It appears his layout started out with the 1973 version of Tyco's "Twin Diesel Freight," going by the rolling stock utilized, and replacing the F7 Santa Fe diesels (powered and dummy) with an AHM Chicago & Northwestern 0-4-0 Shifter steam locomotive and tender, along with a couple of AHM switches.
He also advises to not get a passenger train, saying that freight trains provide more opportunities for railroading action. (I prefer freight trains on model railroading anyway.)

Two vintage pieces of Bachmann rolling stock are shown here, along with a Tyco caboose.

LOT of AHM and Tyco stuff in the background of the hobby shop there.

An older Bachmann terminal track with the early "Simplimatic" plug-in receptacles.

Stock photo of the Plasticville freight station.

Elaborate is right! I would recommend starting out with a single train myself. This is the 1975-1976 version of Tyco's "System 200" train set; complete with remote switches, blocking control, a "Spirit of 76"-themed locomotive and caboose on one of the two trains, and various classic Tyco operating accessories (some of which I actually have on my layout!)

Stock photos of the long-discontinued Plasticville Auto Body Shop (the N-scale version is still available) and the Plasticville Barn.

Now some pics from the layout!

Pretty interesting stuff!

Desertdweller

Pretty interesting stuff indeed!

This book looks a lot like a soft-cover book I have that was offered by Kalmbach Publishing in the early 1950s.  I loaned it to my neighbor (who is building an HO railroad) so I don't have the name.

It is interesting to read about the then state-of-the-art locos and cars of 1951 (typical tip: build your locos using a muffin pan to hold the little parts) that were not typically ready to run.  This was also the era of huge central control panels that resembled reactor control panels.  Much more complicated than the controls on a Diesel locomotive.

The track layouts were similar to that complicated one shown in the preceding post.  Even in those days, they were referred to as "spaghetti bowls".  The design concept was one of varied and confusing routes (which tunnel will the train emerge from?), and a high ratio of track to scenery.

There was nothing wrong with any of that.  Then as now, people built the model railroads that reflected their interests.

Few model railroads of that time offered a uniform roster, either to railroad being modeled or to era.
If the books of the 1950s are to be believed, model railroad operators typically dressed for the role.

Les

richg

Still available used for about a couple dollars. Soft cover.
Hard cover few dollars more. lol

Rich

ebtnut

I believe the book Desertdweller is referring to is "Rights of Trains" by Peter Josserand.  IIRC, Josserand was the Santa Fe operator at Summit on Cajon Pass back in the 1940's and early '50's. 

Irbricksceo

My Grandfather gave me a copy of that book he bought at a library almost 8 years ago, One of my favorite light reads through middle school. Really nice for starting out, even now, 37 years after being published.
Modeling NYC in N

Desertdweller

The book I was referring to was not "Rights of Trains".  It was a collection of articles put together by the staff of Model Railroader magazine.

I really enjoy this book, as it not only gives insight into model railroading technology of the early 1950's, but spends time explaining actual railroad practices and how to apply them to model railroads.

HO scale was really coming into its own then.  Virtually all layouts were "spaghetti bowls".  O-scale layouts were also featured, some using outside-third-rail (for steam locomotives!), and hybrid O-scale layouts with modified Lionel equipment mixed with regular O-scale equipment, and powered with inside third-rail.

Not much equipment from that era is still available now.  Descendants of the Mantua goats and Varney docksides apparently died with Model Power.  If the book had been written five years later, the situation would have been different, with Atlas buildings and Athearn (nee Globe) HO models.

N-scale was 15 years in the future.  The smallest scale then was TT, now virtually extinct.  S scale had a bigger following (than TT) because modelers could convert American Flyer tinplate equipment.

True ready-to-run cars and locos were pretty much non-existant.  Few injected molded car bodies were on the market.  Instead, the typical cars were built from kits based on wooden and cardboard parts.  Some streamliner bodies were extruded aluminum.  Even Diesels were assembled from kits.
Cast loco body shells were Zamac or lead alloy.  This freed up space inside for the large motors then available.  Typical steam locos were powered by a motor with a worm on the armature shaft, driving a worm gear on an axle.  Power was transmitted to other wheels by side rods.  Drive belt arrangements were common in Diesels.  Just having a working headlight was high-tech.

Les

jward

the best part of this book is the do it yourself creativity the author demonstrates. the layout itself is a simple one, with nothing sophisticate in the wiring. having gotten my start building layouts shortly before this book was published, I found it inspiring then, and still have a well worn copy.

having the benefit of family experience the author did not, I bypassed the cheap train set locos and 15r curves, in favour of athearn (ol reliable) locomotives and 18r minimum curves. he built his buildings out of cardstock, mine were mostly lego.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Woody Elmore

Over the years there have been numerous "how to.." boks about building a model railroad published. There was a publishing company, I believe the name was Arco, that published  how to books - things like fixing cars or making furniture.  One featured the "O" gauge layout of Frank Ellison. Ellison was a pioneer in running and scheduling trains on his O gauge layout.  THere was a NYC public library near my elementary school. I remember that they had the Ellison book and when I retrieved it and brought it to the front desk I was the only one who had borrowed the book in years!

I remember a how to book featuring American Flyer trains. For some reason I remember the name McClintock as the author.

The trains were a lot simpler 50 years ago and, yes, seeing a working headlight in HO was an oddity.  Passenger cars were sold wqithout glazing and often the grab irons supplied in kits would work out to three inch piping in the real world.

Those old books are gems. There are many great books from Kalmbach and RMC available today that cover all sorts of topics in detail. The problem is that fewer snd fewer people read anymore.

electrical whiz kid

That book brought back some memories of nine years old-1954-and the man who owned the apartment building (and half the town...) was  into Lionel tinplate.  he had a mom and pop type of market below the apartments.  Occasionally, he would "fire up" the trains, and it was pretty interesting.  The trains were on track-work mounted  way out of reach of people, for obvious reasons  .  Hos son was also interested.  We as a family, were not too flush with cash, so I did stuff like sell seeds, mow lawns etc. for money to buy trains.  I fondly remember the Varney boxes, the cars, etc., I had manage to acquire.  Many reasons got into the way of that for me-until about twenty years ago.  In this thread, there is a picture of an "Old Dutch cleanser" car.  I built this same car and remember the "state of the art" detail and have to chuckle when it is compared with today's models-but I would still grab it in a heartbeat if I saw it on the shelf of a Hobby shop.  My favourite cars are still the old Ambroid, Ulrich, Varney, and others of the like.  Even though the detail that is so taken for granted today eclipses the best efforts of the old models, there will always be a spot in my memory.
Rich C.   

ebtnut

Frank Ellison may have been the first to really proselytize that your model railroad should "do something".  Back in those days, it was sometimes a chore just to get stuff to run, and much of the emphasis was on building models for your "spaghetti bowl" layout.  Ellison equated running trains to staging a theater show.  Each train got its moments in the spotlight.  He also encouraged some switching as part of the fun.  IIRC his layout, the Delta Lines, was saved after he passed and may still exist in somewhat modified form.  Someone here on the list may know more. 

Jerrys HO

ebt,

The Delta lines of Frank Ellison was dismantled and sold. In the process of moving it half way accross the country, the truck transporting it was in a major accident and heavily damaged the layout. Pieces of the layout were sold to numerous collectors. If they still have them is something we will probably never know.

Most of this info came from wiki, but there is a local here in town that acclaims to have seen the layout and watched his father and others operate on the layout.

I do believe he is speaking the truth as he has shown pics of the layout.

Wiki link.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Ellison

Jerry

CNE Runner

Going along with the theme of this thread, who can forget the widely read book: "HO Railroad That Grows" by Linn H. Westcott? That book guided me through the construction of my very first HO layout (...and, yes, definitely a 'spaghetti bowl'). Believe it or not, I still have a copy (circa 1958). "The HO Railroad..." was published in successive editions until 1886!!!

Books, of this genre, were the stuff young man's dreams were made of (- before cars and girls of course). My dad and I completed the layout as far as the drop-down yard (that was a lot of fiber-tied, brass flextrack and "Snap Switches"). Eventually I moved on to cars and girls (although not necessarily in that order) and the layout was sold. Who knew that the little book would lead to a lifelong interest in model railroading?

When I think back on that layout (darned if I can remember its name), I can almost feel the frustration of soldering together that Suydam's Black Bart Mine brass kit. Thank the gods that my father was a consummate craftsman and helped his 13-year old son with such a difficult project. Ah, memories...

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rogertra

Quote from: Jerrys HO on May 23, 2014, 05:45:12 PM
ebt,

The Delta lines of Frank Ellison was dismantled and sold. In the process of moving it half way accross the country, the truck transporting it was in a major accident and heavily damaged the layout. Pieces of the layout were sold to numerous collectors. If they still have them is something we will probably never know.

Most of this info came from wiki, but there is a local here in town that acclaims to have seen the layout and watched his father and others operate on the layout.

I do believe he is speaking the truth as he has shown pics of the layout.

Wiki link.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Ellison

Jerry

Delta Lines was indeed inspirational as it diverted serious modellers from the spaghetti bowl and the "Guess which tunnel the train will pop out of next?" model railroads of the era.  He also emphasized operation, rather than just tail chasing and the "Next we run the reefer train, then we run the 'Coca Cola' train, then the stock train...." and so on that was prevalent in the day.  He like prototype operation but, as others in the past have pointed out, did put a little too much emphasis on way freights rather than through trains, which are the bread and butter of railroading.

That's why the way freight has practically vanished on class one roads these days.  :)

jward

roger don't know where you're at but here in Pennsylvania the "shifter" trains are alive and well. the one which runs the line by my place often rates 4 locomotives and has both am and pm crews. it often makes 2 trips a day to island aenue, which is a hub of sorts for most of the shifters in Pittsburgh. our shifters are often regular sized trains, and have been known to need helpers to get them up the hill out of Pittsburgh. the same goes for the ones on csx east of Cumberland, md.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: jward on May 24, 2014, 09:22:14 PM
roger don't know where you're at but here in Pennsylvania the "shifter" trains are alive and well. the one which runs the line by my place often rates 4 locomotives and has both am and pm crews. it often makes 2 trips a day to island aenue, which is a hub of sorts for most of the shifters in Pittsburgh. our shifters are often regular sized trains, and have been known to need helpers to get them up the hill out of Pittsburgh. the same goes for the ones on csx east of Cumberland, md.

Generally speaking, way freights are rare.  Look at all the small towns that no longer have any rail served industry.  Yes, there are still some rail served industrial parks but even many of them have lost a lot of customers to trucking.  And, of course, there's bound to be exceptions to every rule.

When I go to visit Vancouver BC around the Drake Street Yard area, where I used to work in the early 1980s, all those rail served industries are gone as is the Drake Street Yard itself.  I can go to almost all the places that once had many, many rail served industries and the vast majority are no longer served by rail, just trucks.  Sadly, that's the way of the rail industry.  It's local switching cost money, it's all long haul with boring through intermodal or units trains.

Cheers

Roger T.