Should "Ask The Bach Man " be a hobby forum ?

Started by MarkInLA, May 15, 2014, 10:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

Hi, I brought up a similar issue a while back:
When I first registered with "ATB", I sort of expected it to be a place to ask direct questions about a Bachmann item or items such as : "Does the HO 2-8-0 come with blind drivers ?" Or, "Can I obtain an older,non-posted part for my N scale Shark Nose, Monon.....?" And then the Bach Man merely replies to these questions... For me, personally I wish it where that way...There are tons of MRRing forums (of which I belong to three, with ATB) where the larger bodied chats and How Tos  are taken up, wheathering techniques, Can your Challenger be made into a Cab Forw........... ? But ATB seems to have to turned into this type forum, making it that more inundated with  all sides of the hobby at once.. I may be as guilty as some of you. But only because it seems to have totally changed into a forum. Can, should this be remedied ? I, well-meaning, would like it to be the nuts and bolts type of site. What do you think ?
Mark

richg

Not a big deal. The Bachmann forums have been like this as long as I have been in them.

Rich

jbrock27

...since the Age Of The Dinosaur...

I actually agree with Rich.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I see nothing wrong with the forum as is.

mark, haven't all questions you posted here regarding Bachmann products been answered? if so, what's wrong with having other railroad related discussions? to restrict this forum in the way you suggest would drive off most of the members.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jhanecker2

The "forum " is the way it is because of the multiple disciplines  that are involved in model railroading . No one aspect of the hobby is of paramount importance to every member on the forum.  If you need specific information I suggest you subscribe to some of the many magazines  on the subject and  buy some of the many  books available on specific subjects .  John 2

Desertdweller

I think the forum should stay the way it is.  Model railroading includes all kinds of disciplines, using products from lots of manufacturers.  To confine it to being just a question-and-answer place about one
particular manufacturer would narrow its usefulness considerably.

This is the Bachmann Forum, and naturally, questions and comments about Bachmann products are most appropriate here.  I think this forum is very tolerant of mention of other manufacturers, and the rules concerning that are easy to live with.

One of the great strengths of model railroading is the compatibility of different products to be used together to build a realistic system.  No one company can be expected to produce everything one would need.  Companies that have tried this approach have not done well.

I think people seeking to share information about Bachmann products should find this forum to be most helpful in that regard.  Problems with other builders' products are probably best addressed to their particular forum.  Complaints about other builders' products are not allowed here, because those builders are not here to respond.  One of the things we learn early-on in model railroading is who the best manufacturers are.  Another is that quality is a trade off with price.  There is a place in this hobby for low-priced, medium-priced, and high-priced products, as long as they perform well.  The products that don't deliver what they promise are not around long.

Les

MarkInLA

Yes, all of my questions about Bachmann products have mostly been answered. I simply mean that, due to so many many MRRing forums out there I thought that having the ATBman site condensed into direct questions and answers regarding just their products could/would expedite the location(s) of the Q&As and perhaps even in alphabetical order of the item name. HO (category), steam, then, say Alco, Alco/sound 0-6-0, 0-8-0, 2-6-0,.... N, Pennsy F8 , etc.. so that we can immediately find Qs & As about each one, real fast. This still would be created of yours, mine and Bachmann's suggestions, insights, stats, of a particular engine, car, control/tech or structure. Then, the more exotic, creative, things about model, layouts, scenery and real trains would still be over in the myriad of MRR forums out there.  No biggy. Just an idea which has crossed my mind now and then. Makes no difference in the end I suppose. ....M

Bucksco

The forum is a place where our customers can contact with each other and discuss any and all topics relating to Bachmann products. It has been suggested in the past that we change the name and/or format but we think it is just fine the way it is.

charon

Mesquite Short Line

richg

Quote from: charon on May 17, 2014, 11:42:53 PM
Amen.
Chuck

These forums could easily be over run with questions about many other companies products if Bachmann did not run the forums the way they are now.
There are plenty of other forums for everything else. Some people are just afraid to branch out.
I belong to about twenty train forums and can find just about any answer I need.
The big plus is Google is my best friend.
Actually almost any search engine can be used if you do not need hand holding.

Rich

MarkInLA

Rich, not sure what your getting at about "other companies' products". If a  person writes/logs in asking a question about a Rivarossi (or unknown maker), brass, 2-8-2, B&O Camelback, Bachmann will immediately see this on their screen as " Not in BACH. files ". This person is then dropped from the forum until he/she does have a legit Bachmann product concern. They certainly can not log-in, for now at least, until they're referring to a real Bachmann item. No ?         Mark

Doneldon

Mark Mark, Mark -

Your imagination is running away with you! I'm unaware of anyone who has had a post removed by management and his "account" destroyed because of a non-Bachmann question. Bachmann is a toy company, for crying out loud, not the NSA.

The truth is, the Bmann is pretty tolerant of us when it comes to asking questions about non-Bachmann products. Sure, they'll give us a reminder now in then when things go a bit too far, but they generally leave posts alone.

I'm wondering if you've had a bad experience with Bachmann lately. A significant number of your recent posts have been quite disparaging of the company as well as some of its products. I hope that doesn't interfere with your enjoyment of our hobby or the way you can use this board to learn more about it.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           -- D

jward

i have masde numerous references to other companies products over the years, and even refererred people to some web sites on here dealing with other companies.  i have even roasted older bachmann products on here (though i really love the stuff they have released in the past 15 years or so.) have never had my account blocked during this time, and to my knowledge have only had t a couple of posts removed. 

it's all in the way you say things. usually
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Mark, sometimes references/questions about non-Bachmann train products are permitted to stay and sometimes they are wiped out before they gain any traction.  The reasoning for what stays and what goes, does not appear to follow any kind of fact pattern, other than what is decided by the Overlords.   As Doc stated, no one to my knowledge either, has lost their Board privileges for posting something about another product that ends up getting wiped away (for being nasty, yes, that can incur a "suspension"). 
Fear of having a question or product reference deleted, does not deter me from posting.  Since I see the decision to keep it or toss it as arbitrary, I look at it as I have no way of knowing until after I post.  Agree with Jeff, a lot is influenced by how statements are made. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

Nobody has ever been "blocked" or "removed" from the forum unless they make trouble intentionally - although some folks tend to ride the fence a lot.....