News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Locomotives?

Started by azflyer2001, April 02, 2014, 04:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabloodhound

Lots of complainers here.   If you look around you can find what you want.   Although Bachmann may not offer exactly what you want, others do.   The BLI C-16 is a great engine and can still be found.   And if you don't like to kit bash your own locos, there are many folks who will do it for you, sometimes very affordable or free.
Sounds like the On30 naysayers are just looking for an excuse to get out of the gauge.
Me, I'm in it for the long haul and appreciate all the Bachmann has given to the gauge.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Skarloey Railway

Based on folk's requests, it seems most On30 modellers use the scale to represent 3' gauge US railroads with a sizeable minority using it to represent 2' gauge US railroads. Very few seem to be interested in 2'6" gauge prototypes or in non-US railroads using US built locomotives.

Ignoring the geared locomotives and the 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 Porters (which are primarily  industrial locomotives), Bachmann have, from memory, only offered one 3' gauge 'mainline' loco, the C&S mogul. The 2-8-0, the O/F 4-4-0 and the 2-6-6-2 Mallet are 30" gauge non-US operated prototypes and the 2-4-4-2 Mallet (so far as I recall) never ran anywhere, though was a catalogue engine. The Forney is, of course, 2' gauge.

In some ways Bachmann are to be admired for modelling so many 30" gauge prototypes since that is what On30 represents and if more US modellers were willing to look beyond their borders (as a sizeable minority of Brit modellers do) I'm sure Bachmann's 30" gauge locos would suit a great many railroads that would make a much more interesting and characterful model than yet another D&RGW or RGS pike.  

ebtnut

Well, BLI did do the C-16 a few years ago.  I think they're still kicking around in the $100 range if you want one. 

Royce Wilson

We are so spoiled these days so I will say a up dated C-16 or a EBT mikado would be very nice! ;D

Royce

Royce Wilson

I meant to add that I am very happy with every engine that Bachmann has made,the only one that I do not have is the OF 4-4-0.
I think the small 4-4-0 will go very well with the new 18' freight cars.

Royce Wilson ::)

Skarloey Railway

My ideal choice would be the 8-18 c Baldwin 4-4-0, but as we already have/have had 2 4-4-0s, that has to be a long shot. A convertible 8-18 c/ 8-18 d would be utter joy!

Other choices would be a 38t 2 truck 3 cylinder shay, or a wagon-top boiler version of the existing 2 cylinder shay. 

Anubis

"....38t 2 truck 3 cylinder shay, or a wagon-top boiler version of the existing 2 cylinder shay...."

That's got my vote, too!  ;D

John

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

ksivils

Given the fact I use On30 for poor man's On3, I spend time on the On3 boards.

There seems to be a universal interest among the non-Rio Grande guys and the pre-1900 modelers in a the stock Baldwin 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 locomotives.

These would be great starting points to build most of the NCNG fleet. A BLI C-16 with whaleback tender kit would provide you with NCNG #8.

These locomotives were rebuilt till they were worn completely out by the small, cash strapped narrow gauges that purchased them, so they could be modeled as wood or coal burners pre-1900 and as modernized, steel cabbed, air-brake equipped oil burners operating till the Great Depression.

If designed like the locomotive that started it all, the Brooks 2-6-0, it would be an easy conversion to On3, increasing the size of the market.

A slick, fancy paint job with lots of colors, might (not enough knowledge to know for sure here marketingwise) make for a great train set for people who want an "old timey" train to run for fun or with the grandkids.

These locomotives wound up all over the place, starting as the main power for the common carriers and finishing their days on logging and industrial railroads.

Yes, the PCS/Wiseman brass parts might add up, but for me at least, that is a big part of the fun, making it a unique model. None of my Bachmann locomotives are in their original form.

I am pretty sure the On3 guys would be interested in converting them because these Bachmann's rod locomotives operate very reliably, unlike many brass imports.

Well, at least that's my two cents worth.

Royce Wilson

Just wondering,will there be any new steam out this year?

Royce

2foot6

Royce ,I agree with what  you have written,if Bachmann had not produced On30 I would still be using Ho trains  that are getting harder to see every day.I don't buy all models that Bachmann produce ,but I certainly buy what fits in my era and typical of what was used in Australia.Any thing that is made is welcomed ,whether it's out of the box or kitbashed the option is there.It would be nice to see a Garrett loco,but these can be built from the mallet locos for the experienced modeller. Peter.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

My On30 railroad is really a poor man's On3 pike.   I do not run any critters or smaller cars.   99% of my engines and rolling stock are from Bachmann.   For many years I had suggested an EBT mike or,  realistically,  the EBT caboose.   The year after the two bay hopper appeared in On30,  Bachmann offered the large scale version of the hopper.   My hope was aroused thinking that if you could go larger in scale,  why not step down to On30 with the caboose since the large scale caboose was almost dead on for the EBT caboose.   Well that did not happen,  but another manufacture offers the EBT caboose in a laser cut wood kt.   As for a new engine,   I still suggest the EBT Mike.   But for me,  I am glad and satisfied with what I have now because of one main reason.   As much as LOVE the Bachmann On30 equipment,  the new price structure has priced me out of their market and that is very sad.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Royce Wilson

I am afraid I am with you if Bachmann made my dream engine I probably could not afford it unless I sold some of my prize collection of railroad books and that's not going to happen.

I really like that 2-6-0.It is able to be picked up for decent price and is a good running engine.

Royce

finderskeepers

I simply stopped buying On30 as the offerings were just too small for my liking. In G scale they made a wonderful Shay, 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 as well as a fabulous 2-8-0...but we got nothing equivalent in On30. Had they made these same engines in On30, I would have bought one of each, but unfortunately the 2cyl shay, "park engine" 4-4-0 and diminutive heisler just don't fit in with the rest of my rolling stock. I think Bachmann missed the boat with models, they could have done a westside #3 heisler and a Uintah 2-6-6-2 and had great success with them. Just my two cents worth

Royce Wilson

I finally got to lay my eyes on the IF 4-4-0 and I plan on moving up to DCC and buying one and some of those 18' freight cars,the engine and cars are perfect since I model the early 19th century.
The Colorado Central started out with smaller engines and the trains usally were a freight car or two and a combine.

Royce Wilson