News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Car Couplings

Started by JoMc67, June 09, 2014, 11:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoMc67

Hello,

I'm not an Train expert or collect them, but purchased an Bachman XMas HO Train Set last year ( along with an 6' x 3' Oval E-Z Track layout ) and generally only use it for the  Holiday's around the X-Mas tree. However, I have decided to keep it on the Dining Room table for rest of year and run it from from time to time.

I just noticed that 1 or 2 of the cars were seperating when going around the track at about the same location as it comes off the bridge and making a right turn. The 6" bridge has no trussels and I just lay the E-Z Track right on top of it and fit good. This does produce a slight rise ( about .5 inch ) curve on both sides of track simulating having trussels.
So, I was playing around with the Couplings on a couple of cars. I decided to pinch the couplings together to see if they actually close for a tighter fit, and they did close. However, I guess I made them to tight and it's hard to seperate them to connect the cars again...Sigh :-(
So, I don't know if these Couplings were meant to close in the first place     ( and maybe broke them while closing ) or molded in one position ( to small to tell ). I try to pry them open again, but it's to hard and tedious.

Thinking of buying new Couplings, but not sure if that's the problem.                      
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Joe

Joe

jbrock27

Joe, do you know if the style of the couplers is "knuckle" or "horn hook"?  If unsure, GOOGLE each of those phrases and post back for more assistance.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

if your track is rising 1/2" on either side of th4e bridge, then the abrupt transition from level track to this slope may be a large part of the problem. try using shims of some sort to spread this rise over 2 or 3 track sections at each end, to make the slope more gradual and see if that helps.

1/2" rise over one track section (9") is about an 8% grade, double the maximum recommended on a model railroad.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

JoMc67

- Brock,

I have the Knuckle type Couplings ( if making the letter "C" using your hand ).

Im trying to figure out after I pinched the Coupling together wither or not I can re-open. These things are small and I used a magnifiying glass, and it appears these Couplings once pinched closed are in a tight broken position  ( I cannot re-open ).
Still going to try and pry them using tweazers or a tiny Computer screwdriver to open w/o breaking.
My guess is that these Couplings weren't meant to close and re-open in the first place...If worst comes to worse, then I will purchase new ones. 

- Ward,

Actually, I dont have that problem with another train and its cars using same track, but rather this older Train and it's cars. However, in saying that I will also take your suggestion and increase the spaceing by x 2 with shims.

jbrock27

Joe, I believe you did break them using the method you employed to pinch them together.  They are indeed meant to open and close when coupled to other cars having the same type coupler.  I believe trying to do anymore with them is a lost cause and recommend replacing the ones you tried to "tighten" by pinching them together.  These knuckle couplers are better by the way, than the old horn hook style, if you did not already know that.

I agree with Jeff's point and suggestion about the grade.  Would I be correct in understanding that your uncoupling troubles occur where there is dramatic change in the grade from one section of track to the other?   The more gradual the change in elevation, the better running.  

One other thought.  Is it possible a contributing factor is the height of the couplers on the cars are not close to or the same?  If there is difference in the height of one coupler on one car, to the height of the coupler on the car it is connected to, this will make the problem worse. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

JoMc67

Ok guys,

Looks like I may have found the problem...

Upon further inspection, one Train set has the "Horn" Coupling and the other set has the "Knuckle" Coupling all being used together on same track. 
It was no wonder half the time I couldn't get the two seperate type cars working together properly.
I just never paid attention that there are different type couplings since both were from similar Backmann Train Sets. 
So now, I know which Cars below to which Train Set, and all is working properly.
However, as mentioned I did sorta break a couple of those "Knuckle" Couplings by pinching them, but was able to seperate them with tweezers   ( unfortunately, they open and close freely ) and able to reconnect with other cars without much trouble...Now, we have to wait and see how well they work in the long run.

Thanx again for everyone's input as it was most informative.
Joe