News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

getting started in ho scale

Started by chinatrain99, June 12, 2014, 11:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chinatrain99

Currently, I have an o gauge layout.  on a 5' x 10' all i have is turns.  i just can't continue to build on.  i need to switch gears to a smaller scale.  I just got back from the black hills in south dakota and i'd like to model that area.  here are my requirements:
  i am interested in track that clicks together like fasttrack.  i stink at sodering, ect
  i need an "old timer" passenger train set
  i'd like sound.  i'm not into electronics so i'd prefer to just by a set and extra track

any suggestions?

thanks, jeff 

BIG BEAR

Hey Jeff,

You might want to try On30. This is O scale but runs on HO track. You can use Bachmann s EZ-Track, I suggest the silver track which uses the grey roadbed. This seems to have better conductivity.
   Bachmann sells some nice sets.
I will post links when I can get to computer as I am on my phone now.

Enjoy,
  Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

richg

I would suggest On30 also, especially if you want sound. HO in old time, 4-4-0 is very difficult to install sound in. Even non sound DCC in an old time 4-4-0 American is tough. I and a few others have done it. Not plug and play.
The HO old time 1870's locos have the motor in the tender. I have three different brands. One being a Bachmann American 4-4-0.
The Richmond 4-4-0 is ok with sound but not quite Old Time, 1870's is what many call Old Time. The Richmond is about 1915 and on.
Your mileage may vary.
Google On30 and you will come up with many links.

Rich

chinatrain99

i'm trying to go smaller so i can get a little more depth.  i guess if sound is going to be an issue, i may go with n scale and have lots of room.  do they make "sound" boxcars like they do with o guage?  jeff

richg

Quote from: chinatrain99 on June 12, 2014, 12:59:38 PM
i'm trying to go smaller so i can get a little more depth.  i guess if sound is going to be an issue, i may go with n scale and have lots of room.  do they make "sound" boxcars like they do with o guage?  jeff

Sound cars are made by users like you and I using N scale sound decoders and a speaker. The decoder needs a resistor across the motor leads so the DCC system can program the decoder. One company does make a decoder that is for sound only.
SoundTraxx is coming out with "different" sound decoders for cars which are not loco sounds in case you are interested.
The cars will need metal wheels and pickups to do this.
Not plug and play. No idea on what your electrical, mechanical and soldering experience is or how much you understand DCC.

Rich

jward

may i suggest one of the sound commander sets? that way you'd get the dynamis dcc system and a sound equipped steamer to boot. you could then purchase the extra track you want, and a couple of those open sided excursion cars to get the feel of a tourist hauling steam powered shortline. all in the HO scale you want.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BIG BEAR

Jeff,
  As I said I would Post: BachMann nice freight set

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=487_672&products_id=5130

Passenger sets try:

http://www.bradfordexchange.com/mcategory/villages-and-trains_9876/trains--accessories.html?shopalldept&village-train&train?shopalldept&village-train&train

These are best bought from E-Bay as the price is too ridiculous from original vendor. Although I have been guilty of allowing my wife to splurge on me for some of these sets.

Enjoy
  Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.