News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"e-Unit questions"

Started by boxcardan, June 03, 2014, 05:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxcardan

I have 2 early FP45 diesels made by Williams. The " E Units" are electronic and some of the first produced by Williams.
The unit only has the sequence "Forward-neutral-reverse-neutral-foward..." They do not cycle into automatic forward after 7 second when the power is off . Is there any way to "lock"  the unit to work in only one direction- for example, forward" ? Can an external switch be added to enable/disable the "lock" post? I would like to be able to have the "e-unit" work like the older Lionel e-units with drums.

r0gruth

Boxcardan,

F-N-R-N-F is the same as Lionel e-units except it doesn't have  the lock.
I think there was something on this forum concerning how to add a switch.
If you want it to always start in forware after power is off it might be
easier to install one of their new electronic e-units.

Someone will have a better answer.
Roger

3rail

Dan,

There were several early versions of the reverse boards. I only have one old diagram that may work for your board.  If the shapes and the layout of the components match your board, then this should work.

The Lionel lever stops the e-unit from getting power and locks the drum in whatever position that it was in when power was last applied.  The lock switch on this circuit will not last for extended periods of time.  If the loco sits without power the capacitors will eventually drain and it will be locked in forward on the next operating session. If you had locked it in Neutral or Reverse, you will have to flip the switch, get the loco in the desired state and flip the switch again to re-lock.

Regards,

3rail

tomplatten

I wish Williams would produce e-unist that could be set to start forward or reverse withjout having to rewire the motors leads. It should be that difficult! Just MHO!

r0gruth

Quote from: tomplatten on July 27, 2014, 07:22:54 PM
I wish Williams would produce e-unist that could be set to start forward or reverse without having to rewire the motors leads. It should be that difficult! Just MHO!

I don't think anybody makes this
Roger

Bucksco

Newer Williams by Bachmann locomotives such as the GP30 and RS3 come equipped with a directional lock-out switch.