Replacing the main Cylinder Ass. on a Larges Scale Shay.

Started by smcgill, June 25, 2014, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smcgill

Looking for some guidance.   ;D
Stan or some one in the know.
I need to replace the Cylinder Ass.
I have the part.
Can some one walk me thru it.
It might be simple...I hope.
My U joint broke so that's why the replacement.
Thanks
Sean

Chuck N

It might help if you mentioned the engine (Shay?).

Chuck

smcgill

Chuck N

This comment is not directed at Sean, but at every poster who asks for help.  You know what your problem is, but we are not mind readers, no esp, psysic abilities, etc.  Please describe your problem in fuller detail than you think is necessary.  As my high school English teacher said when researching and writing an article: who, what, where, when, and why.  The more you help us the more we can help you. 

Unfortunately, while I have a Shay, I haven't had to replace a U-joint.

Chuck

smcgill

The Cylinder Ass. on the Large Scale Shay looks like it's held on with two screws. :-[

Chris9017

The cylinder assembly is very easy to replace.  Unscrew the 2 screws holding it onto the frame, then gently pry up on the engine set using a flat head screw driver.  Be careful when removing the engine set because the reverser has a bar sliding through a hole in the bottom of the cab, so you'll want to move the reverser a little bit before the engine set comes off.  Then cut the wires going to the cylinder set's chuffer. 

Solder on a phoenix Sound reed switch onto the 2 wires that were going to the chuffer in the cylinders.  When the new cylinders arrive, glue the chuff reed switch onto the cylinder set by placing it by the rear crank right by the U-joint that connects to the teliscoping coupler that connects the shaft.  Then place 3 magnets 120 degrees apart on the U-joint that is connected to the cylinder set.  This way whenever you want to add sound, you will have an authentic sounding 6 beat chuff in your shay.   

Then gently slide the reverser in the hole located near the bottom of the cab, the slide the cylinder set through the slots on the firebox and screw it down back onto the frame and you're good to go. :)

smcgill

Thank You Chris.
When I get a chance I'll tackle it!

smcgill

Chris and all
I looked at the new piece and piece on the engine.
I laid the engine on it's side.
I had to take the cover of the ash pan off. 2 screws.
I then backed out and set aside the two screws you see between the cylinders.
In the ash pan next to the pc board are the plastic mounts of the cylinder with screws
on the ends. Don't touch the screws but..
Turn the mounts until they line up with the slots. now gently wiggle
to remove the  cylinder, notice the small thing that goes or comes
out on the bottom of cab. Pull this out(it sticks into the and of the shaft on cylinder)
Turn or lay the cylinder so you can unsolder the wires.
To install the new cylinder you just reverse  these steps.
Hook up the drive shafts and you should be good to go.
Hope this helps.
Sean

smcgill

Mr.Bachmann this should go into the FAQ area. ;)

tac

Quote from: smcgill on July 04, 2014, 07:09:50 AM
Mr.Bachmann this should go into the FAQ area. ;)

I second that.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS