News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

the ultimate 4x8?

Started by jward, June 26, 2014, 08:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Jeff, do you have the ability to post a picture of what you are referring to?  I would like to know what you are recommending but cannot get a picture in my head based on the description.  Thank you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

Jbrock : Having worked as a  Q.C. inspector for nineteen years for a connector manufacturer . What  jward is describing  is the ability  of some connectors to accept either pins or sockets in the connectors .  that is one way of  making unique connectors . One can also  change which side is male or female .   There are many methods by which connectors can be varied .   John2.

Doneldon

Jeff and Jim-

You can also paint the plugs or number them to help get the right things connected. However, those Shack connectors are kind of expensive for what you get and they're not really top quality. For a limited connections, such as what you need to connect modules together, you can also vary the kind of plug. For example, I made a yard office for my friend's N-scale layout. It has sound in it which is keyed to one of his steam engines and rather elaborate lighting. I used crimp on connectors throughout. There are blue spade connectors for the sound which connects to his DCC buss and pin connectors which connect to his lighting circuit. This keeps him from hooking the lights up to his DCC and conversely. In order to keep him from getting the polarity wrong, each pair (spades and plugs) has both male and female plugs reversed. It can't be done wrong, even when asleep.
                                              -- D

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Jim,

To add to Jeff's reference, if you have several blocks or just to separate the blocks from let's say your turnout's then you could reverse the plugs so as not to plug into the wrong plug. On the layout have blocks with the male prongs nad the turnouts with the female prongs and you have a set up with no guess work ;D.

Jerry

jbrock27

JH2, Doc and Jerry, thank you for your help and replies.  I understood the concept of what JW was describing, I just could not picture the product he was referring to in order to implement it.  Jeff, thank you for the links and images, perfect.   It is what I think of or would refer to, as a 'wire harness' that can only be plugged together in one way.
Keep Calm and Carry On

CNE Runner

I did some Internet 'surfing' and came up with a couple of options for connecting multiple wires between modules - or from the layout to a portable (detachable) panel. [DISCLAIMER: I know virtually nothing about electronics. Living near Huntsville, AL one is surrounded by a seemingly endless number of 'rocket scientists'. I made the mistake of asking a neighbor about our shared problem this morning...this is what I understood from the conversation (most of it went 'way over my head).]

My neighbor said that connectors should be 'matched' to the task as hand. There are many, many connectors that will do what we have been talking about on this forum.  [...and no, he won't 'liberate' any from NASA.] I have listed those connectors (that I remembered) below. Please note that each of these comes in a variety of sizes...depending upon the number of separate wires that can be connected:
VGA connectors
Cat5 or 6 connectors
DIN connectors
Parallel Port connectors - DB series

This is all 'Greek' (or was that 'geek'?) to me; so let the reader beware. I searched for 'parallel connectors' and came across some on eBay. The URL is http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_nkw=Parallel+Port+Connector+DB25+DB-25+25-Pin+Adapter+Male+DIY+Good+Quality+NEW I wold love to show a picture, but I no longer use my Photobucket account.

I do not know the size limit on these connectors; but some research will reveal that fact. We used to have an electronics supply house in Huntsville (Mock Electronics) that stocked EVERYTHING. Unfortunately they decided to retire and close the business. Parallel connectors seem to be readily available on line however.

I hope this helps (personally I use Blue Point turnout controllers and don't have to worry about such things). Good hunting!

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

Checkout the website of a Company called  newark electronics they are a distributer of electrical  and electronic equipment . John2.

jbrock27

I will John, thank you. 
Have you ever come across a similar outfit on the web, called MCM Electronics?  They often have promotions and sales as well as discounts and reductions on shipping costs.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

i think for model railroad use the determining factor should be the current carrying capacity of the connectors. this is often expressed in either amps at a certain voltage or voltamps.  this is especially important with dcc, which has a much higher current draw than dc due to track power being on the rails at all locations at all times (unless you've isolated sections you can turn off.)

voltamps is current in amps times the expected voltage. when calculating this figure, look for connectior rated well in excess of your figure. it is NEVER a good idea to operate electrical components at or near their rated capacity.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Jeff,

Quotehen calculating this figure, look for connectior rated well in excess of your figure. it is NEVER a good idea to operate electrical components at or near their rated capacity.

Great point as I have seen automotive connectors melt due to overload.

Jerry

CNE Runner

Good catch on your advice about checking the current capacity of any connector Jeff. I would strongly advise any of us 'less than electronically informed' hobbyists to ask someone knowledgeable - BEFORE purchasing/installing any electronic equipment. Judging from the several UK forums I occasionally view, these parallel connectors are frequently used in the exhibition circuit (...however that does not mean they are appropriate in every application).

Regarding dealing with electronics vendors: Several years ago I had occasion to purchase a dozen SPDT - center OFF toggle switches. I found a good price on the Internet and ordered using my credit card (...with the assumption that the company was based in NY). The next credit card billing cycle, I discovered I had reserved some rooms at a very nice hotel in London, UK. [I went on the hotel's website and can attest that this was a very nice hotel.] In addition to this charge, there were other charges in Taiwan.

A call to Chase (they were fantastic) put a halt to the transactions and a cancellation of that credit card (with no charge to me). I did receive a bill from that hotel, in the UK, and decided to call their billing department. This hotel was extremely helpful and said to disregard any further bills from them (it helped that the person I talked to was a model railroader). My point is be very wary of purchasing items directly from overseas - without previous knowledge of the vendor. [Incidentally I did receive the toggle switches I had ordered!!]

In closing, I suggest you use eBay/PayPal to do any foreign purchases. In fairness, I am obliged to say that I frequently deal with vendors in the UK (E. Hatton's, Langley Model Works among others) and have never had a problem (sometimes the shipping is cheaper, and faster, than it is in the States). Be cautious and aware.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jbrock27

Agree.  As I have said here several times before, more consumer protections are available when making purchases through using a CREDIT (not DEBIT) card.

Re: Not understanding the carrying capacity of wires, etc, all I can say is stupid is as stupid does....
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Electrical load.

We are dealing here with less than 14 VAC at only 5 amps or so.

Don't you think we are going a little overboard on this wire and connector thing?  You're not dealing with house current.

Trailer connectors, for brake lights, tail lights and turn signals are more than suitable for connecting model railroad sections together, there's no need to go overboard.

The way this is going you'd think we were dealing with power transmission lines.  This is definitely being over thought.  :-)

Cheers

Roger T.