News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound DCC in Rivarossi C&O H-8

Started by SteamGene, February 02, 2007, 06:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I've talked to Tony about installing a sound decoder in the Riv C&O H-8, which, for those who don't know,has the plug in the boiler.  Tony recommends using a Lenz SilverMP for the motor in the boiler and a Soundtraxx DSX in the tender for the sound.  I'm not sure how the power gets to the Soundtraxx.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Trains Again

One of my friends has a LokSound decoder in his Rivarossi H-8. To me, it sounds better than Sountraxx. I'm not sure how easy or hard it would be to install though.

Mike O.

Two ways - either a 2-wire plug ran back to the tender from the boiler, or (more likely) sound decoder wired to pick up power from the rails from the tender wheels.
"This is such a good fit, it's practically a convulsion!" -  The Aardvark

ebtbob

Gene,

Wasn't it you that I got a contact for to a guy from my model railroad club,  GATSME,  who put a Tsunami in a Rivarossi H-8?    If so,  and if you lost the contact,  go to www.gatsme.org.   Val Pistilli is the webmaster for the site and he is the one who did the installation?

Bob Rule Jr.
Hatboro, Pa.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

SteamGene

Bob, Yes I was.  I'm just looking for other, eaier ways to do it.  :)  I asked Tony what they thought the best way is and the answer I got was power decoder in boiler, sound decoder in tender.
I'm not sure which way I'll go, but I wanted to pass on the information.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

chucknlead

I just bought a Riverossi H-8 and put a non sound decoder in the tender. Why can't you put a sound decoder in the tender. There are holes drilled in the bottom for speakers.
Choooooo----------Choooooooo

SteamGene

To tell the truth, I haven't looked in my Hornsby Rivarossi H-8.  The Rivarossi H-8 has the plug in the boiler, not the tender.  If the Hornsby Riv has the plug in the tender, life is easier for that one.  I'll have to take a look.  Thanks.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

chucknlead

Quote from: Trains Again on February 02, 2007, 10:48:50 PM
One of my friends has a LokSound decoder in his Rivarossi H-8. To me, it sounds better than Sountraxx. I'm not sure how easy or hard it would be to install though.

I didn't see a 2-6-6-6 in the Loksound list however I did see a 2-8-8-2. Is there a way I can sample the sound for the 2-8-8-2? The soundlist that I did find only had generic sounds with cheesy whistles.
Choooooo----------Choooooooo

SteamGene

The curcuit board in the new Rivarossi H-8 is in the tender.  There is plenty of room for the decoder and a large speaker.  I didn't even check on holes in the bottom of the tender.  I like the upward facing speaker going through holes in the coal.  Easy to do and hard to detect with small holes.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat