News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing DCC in On30 T boiler Shay

Started by Yakimarick, July 13, 2014, 12:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yakimarick

How do I install DCC in a On30 T boiler Shay (Item 25699).  I've had it several years and just now getting it out  to run. No circuit diagram came with it. I have to believe this question has been asked before but I can't find it in any topics. Where do I start? 

max (uk)

There is a 8pin socket in the bunker. Just plug in an 8pin decoder. It's the same with the climax too.

Yakimarick

Ah, now that I pull out the factory installed socket plug to see what's under that solder blob, well, as you said, there it is.
Thanks!

richg

Common knowledge the Bachmann steamers come with a diagram that shows the PC board and a six DC adapter. I call the diagrams a wordless workshop.
My Bachmann locos came with diagrams.
Cut the capacitors on the PC board before you plug in a decoder. You will usually get better slow speed response when using a quality decoder.
The resistors for the LED's are on the PC board. All parts are clearly marked.
Sole locos might have the caps on the motor leads. Usually a yellow blob.
The locos are wired according to the NMRA standards so a circuit diagram is not needed. Just get out your multimeter and do some continuity checks. Don't depend on the colour wires. Those will not be the NMRA colours.
Many are not aware that stepping from the DC world into the DCC world is a bigger step than they figured.

Below is an example using the HO Climax drawing. You can see the DC adapter or what Bachmann calls the dummy plug.
Unfortunately, Bachmann pulls diagrams every so often.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H828X-IS001.PDF

Rich

railtwister

I would not suggest that you cut anything before running the loco first. I have many Bachmann On30 locos in addition to several in HO and N as well, that I run under DCC and DC power, and I have never found it necessary to cut or remove any components in order to make them run better. That is not to say that it's impossible to have the RF supression components cause a problem, just that it is unlikely. If you run the train first, and it runs OK, then why bother removing components unnecessarily?

Bill in FtL