News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Value 2-8-2 Announced

Started by rogertra, July 18, 2014, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

YAY!!!!!!!!

While it's sadly not Spectrum, Bachmann have announced a Sound Value USRA 2-8-2 in three versions.

Sound Value MSRP $379.00

DCC Ready MSRP $299.00

http://www.bachmannindustriesinc.com/pdf/NMRA_2014.pdf

We'll take it anyway.

Cheers

Roger T.

Jerrys HO

Roger you missed two, there are five....
UP, B&O,Pennsy,NYC,MC.

Jerry

rogertra

Quote from: Jerrys HO on July 18, 2014, 03:06:17 PM
Roger you missed two, there are five....
UP, B&O,Pennsy,NYC,MC.

Jerry

No Jerry, there are three versions.

They are: -

1) Medium Tender

2) Long Tender

2) Medium tender with high mounted headlight.

I didn't mention how many road names as I don't care about road names, other than to mention that, unfortunately, there's no "undec" available.

Ah well, better than no 2-8-2 I guess.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Dissapointed to see no non sound B&O version. Could do 4500 in non sound. Also seen the old time 440s got a face and price lift.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Jerrys HO

Sorry Roger,

Hard to see without glasses 8). Wife says I need them? :'(

Jerry

rogertra

Quote from: Jerrys HO on July 18, 2014, 06:02:45 PM
Sorry Roger,

Hard to see without glasses 8). Wife says I need them? :'(

Jerry

LOL, no need to apologise.   I have one eye and wear glasses, my wife still says the same thing.

Cheers

Roger T.

jonathan

I guess I needn't say, I'm dancing on the ceiling over the sound value Mikes... ESPECIALLY the B&O Q-3 version.  Should be a great loco to super-detail.  I wonder if it has the belt-drive system?

Love it.  Thanks, Bachmann! 

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Glad you're going to get some B&O Q-3s, Jon!

Of course, now that Bachmann has sprung for a Mike with 63-inch drivers, I wonder what else might come available, using the mechanism?

Some obvious choices:

USRA Heavy 2-8-2, used in large numbers by several roads, among them L&N, Southern, C&NW, NYC (P&LE), and Milwaukee

Harriman 2-8-2, used by UP, SP, and IC and others

C&O K-2 or K-3 2-8-2

electrical whiz kid

Hi Roger;
The cheer is understandable.  I will decline as I have some pretty good Mikes on the roster.  Everything from the two SY (green card) Mikes I had written about to a couple of Paragon mikes I had "beefed up" too look like a couple of Chessie 2-8-2's, with Athearn, Roundhouse (built from 2-8-0).  A good part of what I like about this hobby is the many many choices one has, which to me, makes it a real blast!  OK, time for haggis...
Rich C..

BaltoOhioRRfan

Hey Bach-Man or Yardmaster, can you confirm if there will or not will be a non sound B&O version of this mikado? I don't do sound so unless there is a non sound one. I wont be interested in it.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on July 19, 2014, 02:48:58 PM
Hey Bach-Man or Yardmaster, can you confirm if there will or not will be a non sound B&O version of this mikado? I don't do sound so unless there is a non sound one. I wont be interested in it.

If you look at the announcement (http://www.bachmannindustriesinc.com/pdf/NMRA_2014.pdf), the 2-8-2's are the first thing you see at the top (no joke). The B&O version is a DCC Sound Value version (and the non sound ones are WP w/ Medium Tender, Southern w/ Long Tender, Rock Island w/ Medium Tender, Frisco w/Medium Tender and Pere Marquette w/ Long Tender) however you would be able to make a non sound version yourself by getting one of the non sound (DCC Ready) ones with the medium tender and get the shells for the engine and tender in B&O once parts are made available.

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan and Roger:  Just took a look at the Mike.  Great looking locomotive!  The sound looks to cover a lot of turf with what most people want for the price.  I am sure, if one looks around, they will find better pricing, as that is probably the MSRP.  Jonathan, what do you plan to do with this?  I am really tempted, but I have more than enough stuff now and a layout not even off of the drawing board.  Not that it will be a "K.A" layout, but it will probably be the last one (let's see if we can really take them with us after all.....
Rich C.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on July 20, 2014, 12:01:08 AM
Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on July 19, 2014, 02:48:58 PM

If you look at the announcement (http://www.bachmannindustriesinc.com/pdf/NMRA_2014.pdf), the 2-8-2's are the first thing you see at the top (no joke). The B&O version is a DCC Sound Value version (and the non sound ones are WP w/ Medium Tender, Southern w/ Long Tender, Rock Island w/ Medium Tender, Frisco w/Medium Tender and Pere Marquette w/ Long Tender) however you would be able to make a non sound version yourself by getting one of the non sound (DCC Ready) ones with the medium tender and get the shells for the engine and tender in B&O once parts are made available.

I'm hoping they forgot info and they are doing all ten road names in both sound and non sound, but its doubtful and sure hope bachmann doesn't go in the direction of some road names with and some roads without sound.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on July 20, 2014, 10:24:04 AM
Jonathan and Roger:  Just took a look at the Mike.  Great looking locomotive!  The sound looks to cover a lot of turf with what most people want for the price.  I am sure, if one looks around, they will find better pricing, as that is probably the MSRP.  Jonathan, what do you plan to do with this?  I am really tempted, but I have more than enough stuff now and a layout not even off of the drawing board.  Not that it will be a "K.A" layout, but it will probably be the last one (let's see if we can really take them with us after all.....
Rich C.

Rich.

I for one am quite satisfied with the simpler sounds provided by the Bachmann sound chips. 

1) Provided there is a reasonable chuff sound I'm happy though, I would like the chuff faded to away as the throttle was closed, ditto for diesel engine sounds but, for that price, you get what you pay for. 

2) I'm happy with the bell and whistle selections so these can sound the appropriate whistle signals as and when required.  That's all part of prototypical operation.

3) Headlights.  Satisfied but would like the option of individual control over front and rear headlights and not have them change automatically as this is not prototypical.  But even some of the more advanced systems have this annoying automatic headlight function.  For example, I'd like my switchers to have both front and rear headlights on dim, as that's the way the prototype usually run when switching.  This is so the headlight doesn't dazzle the crew on the ground.  I'd also like the ability to dim the front headlight when meeting other trains, rule 17 in the railroad rule book.

4) Compressor sound it good enough.  Don't need blow down, don't need safely valves lifting (Usually a sign of poor firing) etc., etc..   

I really don't mind there's no brake squeal, fireman shoveling, coupler crash nor any function that requires me to push a button to get a sound FX.

Over all, I'm happy with Bachmann sound but, I must admit, I do have six steam engines currently having Wow sound decoders installed so I may change my mind.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
You know; a lot of the sounds-I don't care which module, are so disproportionately loud-such as that coupling sound-and yet, to bring it down to proportions would make it disappear.  To me, where it would be OK is  if you were in O-scale, and the track was scale-wise located "across the street"...say from the barber shop.  I am with you on a lot of the stuff.  I've watched stuff on "you -tube" etc, and always come away with that feeling.  I have five of the 2-6-0 Moguls and find myself getting away from the aspect of big power.  Also, being a bit of a new Haven nut, I have a wierd draw to motors (electric power).  What would really get my attention would be an EP-3 or EP-4 motor-New Haven colours, of course.  I scratched that coaling tower in the North Cedar Hill yard-must have been some really neat action in the day...  There was a gravity fed coal unloading facility there, so...Yeah...good watching... 
Oh, and I did manage to accrue a lifetime supply of parts from Cal-Scale, so I am pretty much all set-unless...Well, then there is Evil Bay...
O bought a couple of Ambroid  express reefer kits.  This brings back memories of being on my friend's layout.  He had some really nice passenger cars [that] were Ambroid, and also that refer in Great Northern colours and herald.  Just HAD to have it!  He is the old friend who had that Tenshodo 4-6-6-4 (circa 1955).  Not sure what it would be worth now-probably not much.  More haggis...
RIch C.