News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Value 2-8-2 Announced

Started by rogertra, July 18, 2014, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Rich.

As I've mentioned before, most of my sounds are turned down so they are barely audible from four feet away.

I keep the whistles at 100% and I bring the bells down so that are just audible over the engine sounds at four feet.  Engine noises from four feet away sounds realistic enough and doesn't become annoyingly loud.  

Right now, I'm sitting in my "office" outside the railway room's four foot wide pocket door, which is open behind me, about 12 feet away. There are five steam and two diesels currently on "live tracks" and I can barely hear the loudest diesel and just the occasional "pant" of a steam compound pump.  Live tracks?  I have all my roundhouse stall and garden tracks equipped with on/off switches so engines stored on them are silent and do not draw power on start system up.  Saves overloading the NCE booster.  I'll eventually do the same thing to all the staging tracks, once the permanent ones are built.  No need to have a dozen or so trains with motive power all live and making a noise when sitting off stage in staging.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

jonathan

Well, since you asked....

My intention is to find all the little details that were left out--since this is not a Spectrum model, I suspect I'll have to add tender footboards, cut levers, injectors, crew, weathering,  a few extra decals, and so on. I'll find a few good photos of some Q-3s, and go nuts.

For myself, the sound value package is perfect, as I'm a roundy-round operator... the Mike can chuff away all it wants.  Soundtraxx seems to be married to the B&O 3-chime whistle for everything.  I'm guessing that will be the default whistle when delivered.

These locos will look much better pulling my freight, as I like long trains.  Double-heading is SOP on my railroad.  If they match speed with my sound/onboard Connies, all the better, though not necessary.

Again, this is really good news, I never thought the Bachmann folks would do a USRA Light-Mike, since so many had been done by others, incorrectly I might add. 

Thanks, guys, you bowled me over... again!

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Jonathan.

I agree, the 2-8-2 is a welcome addition, even if it's not a Spectrum model.  Sadly, I also think Spectrum is on the way out to be replaced by the lesser detailed but sound equipped Sound Value line.  I guess  Bachmann's management feel the inclusion of sound is better than the inclusion of better details.  However, like you, I am quite capable of adding the extra details as time permits.  All but two of my diesels have already been upgraded as have many steam but the Sound Value steam and diesels will have to wait until a get started on scenery.

You mention long trains.

I've just last night finished enlarging and modifying the track plan, at the expense of the lift up flap, it's now a duck-under, of my temporary staging yard.  It's gone from six tracks to eight and from taking a maximum of 2 x 12 car trains plus van and power to a maximum 2 x 21 car train plus van and power, with of course the tracks either side being of the two centre and longest tracks being proportionally small.  However, the shortest tracks are now capable of taking 18 car trains.  I replace the throat entrances at each end of the yard with wye switches, so that helped by shortening both yard throats by more than a foot each.

The two longest centre tracks are used for the east and west through freights that drop off and pick up a block of interchange cars as they pass through Farnham, my modelled yard.  The next two outer tracks are used by the two daily short haul freights.  These originate and terminate in Farnham Yard and run east and west bound.  These take freight cars to be interchanged are the various interchanges on the east and west division either side of Farnham and so operate between Farnham and Montreal to the west and Farnham and Sherbrooke to the east.

The next two are the way freights that switch local industries to the east and west of Farnham and, so as to keep their train a reasonable length, like the prototype, also switch cars set out for them at major industries by the two short haul freights.

I then have one other track used by the Montreal commuters, these double up on one staging track. One steam and one two car RDC set.  The steam commuter also doubles as a branch local as it runs through the staging yard on its early morning westward inbound commuter run to later appear as a branch local from the east.  It then get turned and departs as a branch local east bound only to appear later in the evening as the evening rush commuter arriving from Montreal at Farnham.  The RDC shuttles back and forward between Montreal and Farnham three times per day.  Complicated but it does make sense.  :-)

Finally, I'm hoping to add daily overnight passenger trains from Montreal to the Maritimes and back, these will be diesel hauled by both GER and CPR and operate as pool trains with both CPR and GER power and passenger cars.  Just need to figure out how to free up a staging track to let one of these trains layover in staging as I don't have room for the extra staging track required.

Of course, once the permanent staging is built, not only will I have room for all these trains but also trains to and from the CNR, NYC, D&H and Rutland.  But that's a few years into the future.  Unless I win the lottery.  :)

Sorry if I've rambled on but, as you know, prototype operate is why I'm into this hobby.

Cheers

Roger T.

PS.  With through staging, I'm not adverse to having a sound equipped diesel or steam loco aimlessly doing the roundy-roundy while I'm working at my workbench.  :)

Irbricksceo

Wow, I should love to pictures of that Yard sometime, It sounds Impressive I'm stuck with my Childhood  4*8 still while I spend my spare change on upgrades here and there (Like my previously mentioned Mine). Those darn People at College want me to pay them instead!

I'll be looking at the Mike's myself once they are out, Maybe Make that my next big purchase if I like them enough to ignore how silly they will look on my curves, assuming they can handle 18 inch curves at all without derailing (the 2-8-4 can, albeit with difficulty hence it is rarely run).

I'd Imagine that, Once they have been out, They will sell for much less from retailers, as Is typical with Bachmann Products. I'm glad to see that there is another steam Locomotive coming out. I'd be interested in seeing how road name specific they are as Bachmann seems on and Off about that (I'm always shocked about how accurate those Russian Decapods are to their Prototype) whereas the 2-8-0, 4-6-0 and to a milder degree the 2-8-4 are more generalised

All in all, very interesting product, can't wait to see Photos of the real Model.
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 21, 2014, 03:09:05 AM
Wow, I should love to pictures of that Yard sometime, It sounds Impressive I'm stuck with my Childhood  4*8 still while I spend my spare change on upgrades here and there (Like my previously mentioned Mine). Those darn People at College want me to pay them instead!

I'll be looking at the Mike's myself once they are out, Maybe Make that my next big purchase if I like them enough to ignore how silly they will look on my curves, assuming they can handle 18 inch curves at all without derailing (the 2-8-4 can, albeit with difficulty hence it is rarely run).

I'd Imagine that, Once they have been out, They will sell for much less from retailers, as Is typical with Bachmann Products. I'm glad to see that there is another steam Locomotive coming out. I'd be interested in seeing how road name specific they are as Bachmann seems on and Off about that (I'm always shocked about how accurate those Russian Decapods are to their Prototype) whereas the 2-8-0, 4-6-0 and to a milder degree the 2-8-4 are more generalised

All in all, very interesting product, can't wait to see Photos of the real Model.

Irbricksceo

Images of my Farnham Yard under construction are in my sig,  or at this link: -

http://s94.photobucket.com/user/rogertra/library/The%20new%20Great%20Eastern%20Railway?sort=4&page=1

I don't yet have any photos of the "improved" staging yard posted.  In the next day or two I hope.  :)

The Mike should be able to handle 18" curve but will, of course, look much better on 30" curves or greater.

As for your 4 x 8, we all started there at one time or another.  :)

I'm sure the "street price" for the Mikes will be much better then the MSRP.

I agree the 2-10-0 is quite accurate, though my three have had their steam dome and sandbox replaced and are scheduled to have their cabs replaced at sometime to make them look less "Russian". 

The 2-8-0 is, I've been told by people better informed than me, is based roughly on some Illinois Central engines acquired from Baldwin. 

The Alco 2-6-0 is based on Green Bay & Western no. 38.   

Both 4-6-0s are Baldwin looking but have compromises.  Most noticeable is the slide valve (square) steam chest combined with the outside valve gear, a rare combination.  Both models would have looked better with either piston valves and outside valve gear or slide vales with inside valve gear but not the combination.  My models of both the high and low boilered 4-6-0s are currently not in service as I'm looking at ways to replace the cylinders and slide valves with more modern piston valves.

I have several each of the 2-6-0, 2-10-0, 2-8-0 and both versions of the 4-6-0s. 

Finally the 2-8-4.  I can't comment directly on this model as I don't own any.  They were very rare birds in Canada, which is why I don't own any of that wheel arrangement.  The only two in Canada were owned by the Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo railway, which was majority owned by the NYC.  Hence, I guess, the 2-8-4s.

Like you, I can't wait to see photos and read reviews of the 2-8-2, fingers crossed it's a good model.

Cheers.

Roger T.

ALCO0001

Hello YARDMASTER/The Bachmann,
Seems like they hit a home run with steam here witch Bachmann won me over with there steam power just recently.I was full blown diesel
freak before that...... I see the GP 40 with the 645 sound value prime mover in ho and a N scale sd45 with sound.

But what about ho scale SD45 with the sound or did I miss something again  ???Confused as usual.
Jack

Irbricksceo

Roger, I agree with the valve gear on the 4-6-0, It is unusual. I have seen photos of a locomotive with that combination taken by my grandfather and, according to him, of the hundreds of steamers He's seen and Photographed, that was the only one with such a combination. As I recall, it was a Connie, Could be wrong though.

In any event, I'm Excited by the new Line. It's unlikely I will get the Sound value if I do buy one since, given my curves, It won't see daily action and therefore doesn't really justify sound, I'd just give it a regular decoder from either my SY or one of my Connie's since I plan to, one day, convert one or more of em to sound.  

P.S.

I looked at those Photo's, Great work! I've always thought that Making and Breaking Trains is arguably the most fun part of operation, Certainty keep you busy!
Modeling NYC in N

jonathan

Now all we have to do is wait for the new Mikes to arrive... it will seem like an eternity.

I have started studying the 100 Q-3 Mikes from the B&O roster.  There were about half a dozen that retained the USRA pilot AND no brakeman's hooch was added behind the fireman's seat. Makes picking a number easier, and makes less work for me.  Of course, I will start a thread as soon as I start tinkering with these locos.

In the meantime, here's my brass Q-4 Mike, that will be going back in the box when its plastic brethren arrive:

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Jonathan.

Just spent a few enjoyable minutes browsing through your website.  Great work.

Have a question, do you recall what paint you used to get this great wood colour on your wooden poles?: -

Cheers

Roger T.

Irbricksceo

Just an interesting thing, I asked again, the Locomotive with Slide Valves and Outside Gear that was photographed by My grandfather was in fact a 4-6-0, and It seems Baldwin made a few like that between 1905 and 1920 (to the best I could find)

Jonathan, I'm not an expert on the B&O (even though I model the Northeast, I stick mostly to the Tristate So Erie, Lackawanna, NYSW, NYC, CNJ) But I Don't recall Vandy Tenders at the B&O Museum when I visited, was that common on their Locomotives or Specific to the Q-4's? The USRA Mike will ship with a medium Tender so I'm intrigued if you will be swapping it out.
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 22, 2014, 11:04:36 PM
Just an interesting thing, I asked again, the Locomotive with Slide Valves and Outside Gear that was photographed by My grandfather was in fact a 4-6-0, and It seems Baldwin made a few like that between 1905 and 1920 (to the best I could find)

They did but the operative word is "Few".  Steam with slide valves and outside gear was not common.  As I said, I'm trying to find suitable piston valves to convert the four 4-6-0s I have, two of each and make them more into modern 4-6-0s as on a Canadian class one in the 1950s, slide valves were rare to unknown.  I don't recall seeing any photos of 4-6-0s with anything but piston valves.  Even the few surviving 4-4-0s, CPR 144 and 29 both had piston valves.

Perhaps the piston valves from the 2-6-0 will fit?  I'll have to look into that.

Cheers

Roger T.

jonathan

Thanks, Roger. (poles)

The secret is green.  First, I stained the dowels with some dark brown acrylic, diluted with about 50% water.  Then I stained with hunter green--again diluted with about 50% water.

I noticed the old wooden light poles in my area had a greenish tint, barely detectable.

Addendum:  prior to stain, I scraped the dowels to rough 'em up a bit--with the edge of a razor saw I think.

Irbricks:

A few of the USRA (B&O Q-3) Mikes did, in fact, receive vandy tenders... BIG ones--like the C&O Long Vandy Tenders that Bachmann use to sell separately.  I used my long Vandy tenders on my Heavy Mountains.  Unless some long tenders are re-released, my Mikes will not get that treatment. Most Q-3's retained the USRA tender.

The hard part is finding a photo of the prototype from the rear.  I have no idea what the reverse light looked like, if they even had one--some B&O locos never got reverse lights, especially passenger power. Not that it will matter to me.  I LOVE reverse lights.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: jonathan on July 23, 2014, 07:03:45 AM
Thanks, Roger. (poles)

The secret is green.  First, I stained the dowels with some dark brown acrylic, diluted with about 50% water.  Then I stained with hunter green--again diluted with about 50% water.

I noticed the old wooden light poles in my area had a greenish tint, barely detectable.

Addendum:  prior to stain, I scraped the dowels to rough 'em up a bit--with the edge of a razor saw I think.

Irbricks:

A few of the USRA (B&O Q-3) Mikes did, in fact, receive vandy tenders... BIG ones--like the C&O Long Vandy Tenders that Bachmann use to sell separately.  I used my long Vandy tenders on my Heavy Mountains.  Unless some long tenders are re-released, my Mikes will not get that treatment. Most Q-3's retained the USRA tender.

The hard part is finding a photo of the prototype from the rear.  I have no idea what the reverse light looked like, if they even had one--some B&O locos never got reverse lights, especially passenger power. Not that it will matter to me.  I LOVE reverse lights.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Some B&O Passenger engines did get reverse lights....the 5300 has one, as well as the 4500

5300:

4500:
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jonathan

Great shots from the museum, Balto.  Now I have something to work with.  Been to the museum a couple times, but never bothered to snap photos of the rear of the locos.  Live and learn.

Regards,

Jonathan