News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Night Lights

Started by jonathan, July 25, 2014, 03:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martha

Thanks Don for the info. I tried it and hey they work!!! and didn't burn out! I did the happy my lights DID NOT burn out dance. Of course this leads me to more questions. Now that this set of lights is hooked up to the 4.5 v adapter, how many more strands or other lights can I add to the same adapter? They are all 4.5 powered.

Martha

I've been doing a lot of happy dancing here in the last couple days. First my new string of lights are not burning out! and I FINALLY found what I think will work great for my street lights connected to my telephone poles. Jonathan's street lights were the inspiration. I already had my "pencils made into telephone" telephones and just wanted to add a light to each. Take a look

They are wooden bowls I found at Hobby Lobby, I already pre drilled a hole. They are concave a small bit on the other side. I am using a 5 mm LED so they make a very nice glow on the snow.

This one is the prototype I am working with.

This telephone pole was the prototype for it. It is not in very good shape but you get the idea I am sure.

A VERY quick paint job, sloppy as all get out but once again just the prototype

I think I like the green enamel and white inside but open for suggestions in the paint department.

Next is to figure out how to run the power pole to pole and still have them hanging off the side of the pole like this one. Once again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have ten poles surrounding the track layout. I think I will just run them straight across the arms of the pole, I string lights on the poles as well and was wondering if I could use that for the power. You know splice into it instead of running separate wires. I just don't know how much power that will take and how many resistors I should use. Maybe my new multimeter (arriving tomorrow) will help calculate that.

Later gator

Doneldon

Lookin' good, Martha!

Your phone pole lights are great. Those wooden bowls are really doing the job. I'm impressed with your ability to find materials which work for the effect you are seeking from other than the model railroad merchandise array. This is one of the oldest traditions in model railroading. Welcome to the broth, er, siblinghood of genuine model rails.

You can control the light leak from the tops of your lights by filling the cavity with putty, glue, caulk, spackle or even toothpaste. Paint the fill and you're all set.

-- D

jbrock27

Good find on the bowls.
Keep Calm and Carry On

MarkInLA

Hi. I know I'm jumping in late. But even if you have completed all your structure and municipal lighting here's something I happened upon which could use some studying. Even when the room lights are on I still find it difficult to find the center of the 2 coupler knuckles to open them (I use tooth picks). So I bring my small LED flashlight (the kind with the button on the back or the cylinder) to light up the area between cars. Every time I do this it looks like the light from a full moon or tall lamppost shining over the area of the dark rail facility or way out in the sparse country in the moonlight. you may want to look into this as above lighting in the night.  Though I don't know how I'd do it on that large of a scale, and particularly how to employ 110V power to do this. Maybe the 'accessory' posts on back of an old power pack or its DC current from the throttle. But do darken the room and hold the flash above a scene. It's quite dramatic.

jbrock27

Speaking of using toothpicks to open knuckle couplers, I have used Ray's (CNE Runner) trick of using a wooden skewer stick, to successfully get them apart.   Works great.  They are thicker than tooth picks and plenty long.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Martha

MarkInLA, thanks for jumping in, never too late the way I see it. Funny you mention the led flashlight. I bought a small LED lamp at the dollar store last year, has 5 bright leds' with a swiveling tube from base to light, you can twist and turn it any and all directions. I actually used it last year to video Jamestown in the dark. http://youtu.be/kulQYLP7a0M. Held it in one hand and the camera in the other. It does give it that moonbeam affect. Wiring is my Achilles heel. I am working on it and getting better but..... I am pretty sure I can turn it into a moon or ???. I use 3.0 volt, 4.5 volt, possibly 9 volt adapter as well as 110 for power on Jamestown. Most of the lighting is Lemax brand for Christmas Villages. I do appreciate your input, it has given me an idea to mull over. oh by the way, that little lamp I mentioned I have more than one. it worked fantastic for the wiring and soldering I've done. you can really direct the light right where you need it, it doesn't get hot like a regular lamp and the batteries last quite a long time.