News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bobber caboose and Climax

Started by mickeykelley, July 26, 2014, 07:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickeykelley

I recently bought a bobber caboose to go with my Climax and my planned mine line.  However, the coupler on the caboose is about 3/8" lower than the Climax.  Same for the side dump cars and skeleton log cars.  They all match up but the Climax seems too high. What gives?  That's why I stayed with the same manufacture to avoid compatibility issues, now I have one.  Suggestions?

Chuck N

Bachmann has made two scales, in "G" scale.  Your bobber is part of the "Big Hauler" series, in theory 1:24.  The Climax is from the spectrum series made accurately at 1:20.3.  The coupler pockets on the Climax are high.  You will need a Bachmann drop down coupler.  It came with several of my Bachmann engines.

Chuck

As I recall, the BH series rolling stock came with truck mounted couplers, rather than body mounted couplers.  This drops them down even more.

Kadee has/had a step down coupler that I put on my Climax to mate with body mounted couplers on 1:20.3 rolling stock.  Sorry, no picturers.

This is what I did with my Shay.  It came with step down knuckle couplers..

I drilled a hole in the shank.

Mounted it in the lowest coupler pocket.

It mates with 1:20.3 cars with body mounted couplers.

This will still be high for truck mounted couplers.  You will also need to get and install step up couplers on the caboose.  I use Kadee #831 for truck mounted couplers the mate with body mounted  couplers.

Loco Bill Canelos

Mickey,

If you bought it new double check the box,  see if there is another set of couplers which will align with your caboose and other cars.  Bachmann included extra couplers on most 1:20.3 locos just for this reason.  I  am not sure about the Climax. If not check with the parts dept to see if you can get some.

Any climax owners out there who can confirm the second set of couplers??
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mickeykelley

I went back to all the accessory bags and yes there were actually two different sets of couplers.  One set is part of the link and pin looking part and another pair with what looks like a small drop down.  So after church I'll get them out and play with them to see what's what.  Thanks for help.  I guess I just was assuming it would hook right up to their existing stuff.  I guess I was not really thinking that the log cars, side dumps and caboose were different scale since that's all they offer for their geared locos.  Which makes me wonder how much bigger the skeleton logs and side dumps cars should be to match the 1:20.3.

Chuck N

Mickey:

Accucraft has 3 different log cars in 1:20.3: long logging car (24.5"), short logging car (20") and logging disconnects (16").  You can see them on the Accucraft web site.  You should be able to compare your logging cars with theirs.

Chuck

mickeykelley

So after looking through the parts, I did attach the drop couplers and it all lines up.  I'm surprised they didn't come with those factory attached so it would work with their existing rolling stock, but I guess they have their reasons.   Thanks for the input as I ad not even opened the plastic bag of goodies. Speaking of goodies, do most of you use all the extras by gluing them in place or what?

Bucksco

The Climax is a 1:20.3 narrow gauge locomotive. It's coupler height is set to work with Bachmann's 1:20.3 scale narrow gauge freight cars....

mickeykelley

If it is historically primarily been a logging and mining engine, shouldn't you either make 1.20.3 mining/logging stock or have it set for their height.  They weren't really freight engines.  Not trying to be difficult but it just seems odd to me.  But y'all did include the drop couplers so all worked out after the change.

Chuck N

Mickey:

I may be wrong, but I think that some or all of the cars you are talking about came out before they started producing geared locomotives in 1:20.3.

Chuck

Bucksco

Bachmann produces two distinctly different lines of Large Scale product. The Bachmann "Big Hauler" products were developed over 20 years ago and were designed to be compatible with other manufacturer's large scale products (LGB, Aristo, USA Trains, etc....)this is why the coupler height is what it is on these products. The Bachmann Spectrum 1:20.3 scale Narrow gauge product line does indeed run on the same track but it is a different scale and while it is compatible with the "Big Hauler" products the scale of these products dictates a different coupler height in order to maintain the finescale nature of these locos and rolling stock.

mickeykelley

So out of curiosity, I checked my second version Shay and its couplers lineup with the log/mining cars.  So why is that different than the Climax?  I totally understand the scale thing, but I guess I don't understand then why do they not produce the correct type of rolling stock then to match?  I mean aren't the Shay, Climax and Heisler all pretty much mining/logging engines?  So why produce freight cars and not these?  They would be much less expensive to mold and make than a loco.  Just doesn't really jive to me.

Loco Bill Canelos

Mickey,

Mickey you are wasting your breath on this. What Bachmann did and why is in the past they had good reasons at the time.  Why they did what they did is history that took place in decisions made over twenty years ago.  While you may be new at this, if you had been hanging around on this forum for 10 years or more you would see all kinds of why an wherefores. Why didn't they make them with only hook and loop couplers? or Why don't they only have Link and pin couplers? or and on an on.  
We are happy to help you as a new person, but beating old issues to death is not particularly beneficial or helpful to anyone. Things are what they are and cannot be changed. Early locos did not have the correct coupler height for 1:20.3.  Later locos produced in 1:20.3 were made with the correct coupler height and the drop couplers were included.  People with the early locos had to raise the couplers to be compatible with body mounted 1:20.3 rolling stock.

Bachmann did their best to accommodate as many modelers in different interest groups as they could. As the Yardmaster says things have evolved into the two distinct lines with accommodation for the older 1:22.5 group.  

Just sit back and have fun and we will do our best to help you make things work together.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mickeykelley

Bill, I was not attempting or even realizing it was a old dead horse that had been beaten.  As I said "out of curiosity". I know it is in the past.  I even said "all worked out".  I'm just trying to understand not ruffel feathers.  I apologize to any one whom I offended.  Not my intention or mode.

My other curiosity is why not make 1:20.3 log and mine cars.  I guess that's for Accucraft.

mickeykelley

The side dump and skeleton log ones are the ones I got. 9 of the log and 3 of the side, so far. But just to clarify, these are technically the 1:24, right?  Not that it matters as the are already bought and the AMS are out of my price pocket.