News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Card for GP 40

Started by wisconsinjimmy, July 28, 2014, 10:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinjimmy

Even some of the experienced people (shops) have no idea as to what board goes in what, I spoke with a reputable shop and was told to purchase the Tsunami TSU-GN1000 and nothing jived when I removed the body or should I say did not look proper. I then called Digi and was told I needed the AT1000 great now I have a board I cannot use. Darn this stuff is like a crap shoot. 7-11

rogertra

Quote from: wisconsinjimmy on July 28, 2014, 10:48:07 PM
Even some of the experienced people (shops) have no idea as to what board goes in what, I spoke with a reputable shop and was told to purchase the Tsunami TSU-GN1000 and nothing jived when I removed the body or should I say did not look proper. I then called Digi and was told I needed the AT1000 great now I have a board I cannot use. Darn this stuff is like a crap shoot. 7-11

All the manufactures publish suggestions as to which sound decoder they make goes in what locomotive model.  Google before you buy.

Cheers

Roger T.

richg

Quote from: wisconsinjimmy on July 28, 2014, 10:48:07 PM

This is right out of the SoundTraxx site. Should have check there first. Your reputable shop should have known this.
Don't know how the specs compare to the one you bought but it should work just as well.

SoundTraxx has a decoder selector.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step2.php?s=ho

EMD GP40    TSU-AT1000 EMD 645 Turbo   828041   810113

Rich

richg

As rogertra said, all decoder companies have details about decoders. I have seen this before. Some just seem to depend on forums rather than the manufactures site.

Rich

wisconsinjimmy

Let me ask this, does the DCC card in my engine EMD GP 40 need to be removed or do I wire the new card into the factory installed part. This is really confusing as I also see sound decoders for sale a little packet no larger then a packet of sugar. Any and all advice is taken in and saved.
Thank you very much
Jim
Slow and Old

Jerrys HO

Quote from: wisconsinjimmy on July 29, 2014, 01:04:26 PM
Let me ask this, does the DCC card in my engine EMD GP 40 need to be removed or do I wire the new card into the factory installed part. This is really confusing as I also see sound decoders for sale a little packet no larger then a packet of sugar. Any and all advice is taken in and saved.
Thank you very much
Jim
Slow and Old

Jim,
To answer your question... yes the card in your GP40 that you refer to is the decoder. It must be removed if you are adding the AT1000, as that is also a mobile decoder with sound. You can not use the two together.
Take the time to study the wiring and Soundtraxx offers a generic installation guide to assist you.
Jerry

Bucksco

If you want to install a DCC decoder into a locomotive you should remove the printed circuit board first. Basically you need to trace the various wires from their respective positions (lights, motor leads, track power pickup, etc...) and wire these leads directly to the decoder. If your loco has an 8 pin socket you may be able to plug the decoder in directly. SoundTraxx manufactures an adapter cable for this.
Here is a good example of an install of a SoundTraxx decoder in a Bachmann Diesel:
http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/appnotes/bachmann_gp7.pdf

Doneldon

wis-jim-

There is (supposedly) an industry standard wire color scheme for DCC which should simplify DCC installs and modifications. However, that NMRA standard is only a recommended practice, not an actual requirement. So ... some manufacturers don't follow the scheme in every loco. I'm not sure what the reason is for this since its only effect is to complicate things for the consumer.

This model is one which requires that you trace wires unless your new decoder can plug in. I might be wrong, but I believe you can plug a new decoder in without problems but a hard wire requires wire tracing.
                                                                                                                          -- D

union pacific 4014

rbryce1

Where do you plan to install the speaker.  The GP40 has practically no extra room unless you do some milling of the frame.  Normally it would go in the fuel tank, but the metal frame occupies the entire fuel tank area.  Make sure you remove the trucks and motor before you do any milling or filing to prevent the metal from getting into the motor and/or gears.  It doesn't take but a microb of that metal to destroy a good running piece of equipment.

Bucksco

Just an FYI. The GP40 is being released in the Sound Value line later this year.

rbryce1

Quote from: Yardmaster on August 01, 2014, 09:28:10 AM
Just an FYI. The GP40 is being released in the Sound Value line later this year.

Will this GP40 have an interchangeable shell with the existing GP40 line in the event you don't start making the Roadnames we already have and would like to upgrade to sound?

Stephen D. Richards

I second that motion...I mean question!  Stephen D. Richards

Bucksco

The only change should be the fuel tank with speaker mount and the main PC board.
Note that I said "should be"....

ALCO0001

Bachmann/Yardmaster
Is the new GP 40 that is coming out in the near future with sound a New version  type retooled  or upgraded from the previous  dcc on board versions Shell (body,railings details?)
Any little hints would be great .
Jack