News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

c19 & Dallee Sound

Started by bob kaplan, August 04, 2014, 10:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Can Dallee  steam chuff be as activated using the C 19's provided optical sound chuff out puts without modification as with Phoenix sound?
  Thank you.

Kevin Strong

I didn't put a Dallee in the C-19, but I did with the new-release Climax. I recall it working quite nicely. I vaguely remember hitting a snag on the install, but if memory serves, it was operator error.

Later,

K

bob kaplan

i purchased a Dallee sound unit.  Working on getting into my C 19.  Works great when i use the reed switch and magnets to activate the chuff.

But i really would like to get it synced with the wheel rotation using the chuff circuit provided by Bachmann;  i am not successful.   And now i begin to show how really uninformed i am!!..

i attach one wire labeled "chuff" from the Bachmann board, but need the "other" wire for the Dallee unit (I think)....and i don't know from where i should take it.

Can anyone off me a bit of help.  i have tried to complete the circuit drawing power from (one at a time) left wheel/right wheel with no success.

Any help or insight would really be appreciated.
   Thank you.
b

StanAmes

Bob

You might want to call Dallee directly and ask how best to install.  To help you better more information is needed.

1) what do you have plugged into the C19 socket

2) What power are you using on the track

3) What connections  have you made from the Dallee unit to the C-19

Stan

bob kaplan

Thanks for the response Stan.
  I did call Dallee.   They did not seem familiar with the Bachmann board.  There were able to explain the use of the reed switch for chuff sound.   But that was actually explained in their general instructions.

I am using track power supplied by a MRC control master 20 and the original plug is in the Bachmann socket.

I have by-passed the J3 connections on the  Dallee board since I hope to used the chuff activation.  That is for the variable voltage chuff.   That I understand.

Power to run the DALLEE is taken from BACHMANN board wheel left/wheel right.  That power is put into the DALLEE board using the J1 connections.
With those simple connections I am able to power whistle, bell, and chuff.....USING REED SWITCHES.  The chuff is a bit off-sync when using magnets on the tender axle and so I hope to take advantage of the Bachmann chuff circuit.

When using Phoenix, it only takes one wire to get the chuff.   But from what little I can figure out, two wires are needed for the DALLEE.  if I attach the wire from the Bachmann board labeled chuff, the circuit is incomplete for the Dallee and I don't get the chuff.

Previous contact with Bachmann Headquarters leads me to believe it would do no good to contact them for help.

I have tried using J1-7 GND and J1-6 B+ as the "other wire."  No success.

Any help would really be appreciated.
   thank you.
bob

bob kaplan

and....since I am using DC track power and am not using the fan, can I remove it from the tender just to get a bit more free space?
   Thanks.
b

grsman

Bob
This PDF gives you information about the C19 chuff circuit.
http://www.phoenixsound.com/pdf/C19.pdf
It is about hooking up a Pheonix sound card, but it should
provide the info you need to hook up the Dallee sound card.
It tells you how to wire the chuff sensors. Make sure it provides
the correct polarity output for the Dallee. It was backwards on the K27.
Tom

bob kaplan

Tom,
   Thank you for your response.

I have installed the Phoenix sound unit and have got it to "chuff" correctly.

But with the Dallee unit, two wires not one, are required to complete the reed chuff circuit I think.   and.....the Dallee board does not have a similar 6 volt input for the optical sensors nor does the Bachmann C19 board have a second chuff reed switch wire attachment...at least that is where I need help. 

Where is the other half of the chuff circuit on the Bachmann board for the chuff sensors that must be attached to the Dallee board?  The Phoenix must have this "buried" in the board while the Dallee does not....again....at least from what I can figure.   My knowledge is verrrrrry limited.

Again....thanks everyone for your patience.   I appreciate your help.
bob

bob kaplan

Problem solved!!!....thanks for the input.   It was appreciated.
b

Tony Walsham

Both sound systems require a two wire connection for the chuff to work.
One of the wires from the sound is hot (logic high) and is taken to ground to complete the circuit.
Therefore at some point the Phoenix must also be connected to the loco ground (-).

Use a multi meter to determine which is the ground connection of the Dallee sound and connect it to the loco ground (-).
The other Dallee chuff wire goes to the C 19 chuff sensor.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).