News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

LED's for my E7

Started by wmwalker, August 07, 2014, 10:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmwalker

I made a LED for my Southern E7 Dummy A unit which I also put motor in as well. I have also done the same for all my 12 GP9 units as well.

Here is a night picture of one set of my GP9's.

Thanks
Wyatt

Chessie1971

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjQmNci5aoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFYKIPWYODc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xLP3p5ckSU

Here is three video's. I put warm white 5mm led's in two GP9's and GP38 and still got to do my dummy GP38 this weekend.

Chessie1971

Wyatt Looks great and check out my video's. I put led's in mine last weekend. Thanks Jeff

wmwalker

Jeff
Thanks and I did watch your videos and they look outstanding. How did you do yours? Did you make your own or use Evans Design units. I have some of there units and really like them for F3's and the power E7 units. I use my make shift units for the F3 and E7 dummy units. I have just ordered some more of there units and some of there flashers I am going to try the flashers for Mars lights.
Thanks
Wyatt

Chessie1971

Thanks Wyatt and Yes i used evans designs warm white 5 mm led. The led's was prewired and i cut the old light out but left enough wire if somebody ever wants to put them back in and i used a mirror hunger and cut lip off and filed lip down with a file and drilled hunger out with 3/16 drill bit then glued in top off shell in v part so led be back far enough to shine thru light and number boards and led just will fit snug in hunger and file led some so light will spread

wmwalker

Jeff
Thanks for the good information on the way you installed the LED's. That really worked out great. I will have to try that next time. Those Evans units are really the best way to go. Like I said before My friend and I just placed another big order from them Friday. Thanks again Jeff  :)
Thanks
Wyatt

Chessie1971

M1FredQ

Hi wmwalker

what a summer!!

2 of the youngins were at a military academy for the summer and with 3 teens it was one busy summer. since Joe came back we ran the trains a few time.

There is a LED company where I bought some test bulbs.I have my ACL Williams F-7 on the table where I plan to swap out the bulbs.

I have recently swapped out those CFR bulbs for LED's-on sale at Costco. The lighting is a lot better, less wattage and heat. With the purchase of those GP-30's where Williams have LED's installed they look great and light up with an intensity that mimics what you see in real life.

You re-painted GP's look great keep us posted with progress.

Missed any info about what Williams has planned for the future anything on U-Tube?

I don't want to commit sacrilege but HTH is coming out with a German BR-44. When I was an exchange student in the DDR(East Germany) I rode many a mile in passenger cars pulled by those old German Steamer BR-44's. Mike has the chuff and that distinct Euopean whistle sound. It looks very impressive on the track and it's the one thing I don't mind dropping the bucks on for nostalgia reasons!!!

Happy Trains!!!

3rail

Great job on the LED upgrades.

One thing that you need to know.  On certain transformers the reverse board may not sequence correctly after you remove the light bulb.  This is caused by some leak voltage given off by the transformer that does not allow the reverse board to advance to the next state. You can eliminate the problem by using a lighted lockon, running a lighted caboose, lighted passenger car, or connecting a lightbulb to the track power (like a streetlight, house light).

Regards,

3rail

wmwalker

3rail
Thanks for the great information. I have not noticed any issues but I do run a lighted caboose's or a end car with a flashing LED. I am using Z4000 and Z1000 transformers. I switch back and forth between the two with a toggle switch. Thanks again for the information.

FredQ
Good to hear from you Fred. I was wondering how Joey and you were doing. Sounds like you and the boy's have been very busy this summer. I am still Williams crazy I now have 12 Williams GP9's redone in the Southern or NS paint scheme. I just picked up another NW2 so now I have three of those. I have the 44 ton switch and CSX GP38 on preorder as well as 3 new sound system so I can start changing out the true BlastII system I have now. Fred keep me posted on you and Joey progress.
Thanks
Wyatt

M1FredQ

thank you 3-rail for the great information about the LED's I do plan to switch out on the cabooses too.

WM  I have accumulated a bunch of WBB locomotives both steamer and diesel I'll have to try to add them up. Our favorites are the Semi-Hudsons, F-3's, and GP-30's. We did get a Chessie System GP-38 which Joey went bonkers over and WBB did a "premier" paint job, just love that Yellow and dark blue!!!

I may have mentioned on an earlier thread, a big box type Hobby Shop down in Ft Lauderdale was reducing its train dept.
I picked up a ACL F-7 set and they had the B-unit too!!! I liked the paint job WBB did, turns out the shade of purple WBB used was also accurate as ACL had some versions of their purple until they decided to switch due to prohibitive costs for painting and repainting. I really like those ACL F-7's.

Anyway I'll try to stay current now that things have calmed down abit here.