DCC installation for Bachmann Spectrum motorized ballast spreader

Started by hardydittmar, August 22, 2014, 02:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardydittmar

Does anyone know how to instal a decoder into a selfpropelled Bachmann Spectrum ballast spreader. I purchase one several years ago and would like to convert it to DCC.
Thanks in advance for any help, Hardy

richg

Very simple.Remove the two metal clips on the PC board. Solder the required wires to the proper terminals. They are labeled according to the NMRA wiring code.
At least three decoder companies sell an appropriate decoder with only wires. No plug.

You can also search the Bachmann General and HO forums for ballast spreader. You will have to do a little looking but that is part of doing research.
Couple people here have done those.

Rich

hardydittmar

Thanks Rich. There doesn't seem to be much space for a decoder, maybe an N Scale would fit ?

richg

Quote from: hardydittmar on August 22, 2014, 08:41:13 PM
Thanks Rich. There doesn't seem to be much space for a decoder, maybe an N Scale would fit ?

A DZ125 would fit. I have used it. About the size of a dime.
TCS has small decoders. They seem to be a little better than the DZ125 from a couple reports I have seen in the Bachmann forums.

Google both. They show the specs.

Measure the space for a decoder.
Search the Bachmann General and HO forums a couple have put a decoder in this thing. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Do a little more research than just asking a question in a forum. You will find all kinds of useful links to save to Favourites. Your PC is a powerful device.
The TCS site has photos of different Bachmann installs.

Rich

hardydittmar

Thanks very much Rich for the additional info.
.Please excuse my ignorance, this is the very first time I tried this way to get info and my computer skills are basic.  I will try my best to follow your advice.I'm over 80 and just got into computers a year or so ago. It can be a challenge at times, You may have encountered frustrating experiences Yourself. Then there is  the challenge of working with such small items, the old bones just don't work the way they used to.
Anyway, thanks again, Hardy.

richg

That sheds a lot of light on this.
I would get an Optivisor Amazon.com would have some with a light on each side of the Optivisor.
They usually have three lenses. A Single front lens. A lens behind that flips down and a eye loop for the right eye out front.
Google optivisor. Quite sure some references for Amazon will show up.
Google should be your best friend.
An N scale decoder such as a DZ125, no plug will have leads to solder in place.
Below is a link that will help. From what I remember, the PC board will have the numbers.
Some have said a TCS is a little better decoder. Don't remember which one.
I used Google to find the below site.

http://www.dccwiki.com/8_Pin_DCC_Plug

I did the same with a 44 tonner a few years ago.
Used the same decoder in an old Plymouth 0-6-0 with no PC board and a pancake motor. I just followed the NMRA colour code. I learned many years ago in the Navy ro read and follow instructions, first.

Rich

hardydittmar

Thanks again, Rich. I've pretty well decided on a DZ125. Just have to order one (Don't live near a decent  hobby shop). Anyway, I've got the darn thing apart already and now face the task of doing this job to the finish. 'Limey's" blow by blow job description convinced me that I can do it. You gave me the link to that, thanks, that was really helpful. Hardy

richg

Quote from: hardydittmar on August 24, 2014, 11:48:45 PM
Thanks again, Rich. I've pretty well decided on a DZ125. Just have to order one (Don't live near a decent  hobby shop). Anyway, I've got the darn thing apart already and now face the task of doing this job to the finish. 'Limey's" blow by blow job description convinced me that I can do it. You gave me the link to that, thanks, that was really helpful. Hardy

Very good. Glad to help.
I cannot do that anymore. Only 73 but Macular Degeneration in left eye prevents ant close up work.

Don't forget Google searching. You will be amazed at what you can find on the Internet to make the hobby more enjoyable.
I have used the below site for DCC stuff. Good prices and shipping, plus service.
Tony's Trains is good also. There are other sites.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php

The below fellow owned it for some years. Check out all his site for good DCC info.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Rich

hardydittmar

Thanks Rich for the new info. I have delt with Litchfield Stn in the past and was happy with their service. Also checked out the DCCU site. Sorry to hear about Your eye problems. At our age there is no end to it. Wonder why they call it the "Golden Years"???
Hardy