News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-2

Started by electrical whiz kid, August 27, 2014, 06:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Did I see somewhere that Bachmann has a 2-6-2 Prairie out?  This was, I believe, not too popular a unit with most roads.  I have two from others.   Would be interested.  What gives here?
Rich C.

richg

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on August 27, 2014, 06:36:55 PM
Did I see somewhere that Bachmann has a 2-6-2 Prairie out?  This was, I believe, not too popular a unit with most roads.  I have two from others.   Would be interested.  What gives here?
Rich C.

No idea what you mean by, What gives here?
I see them available online. Just checked. Even Amazon has them, free shipping with Prime.

Rich

Doneldon

Rich-

Bachmann has sold a Prairie for many years. It's actually the 0-6-0 with two-wheel pilot and training trucks.
They sell the same superstructure with a two-wheel trailing truck as a Mogul. However, this Mogul is NOT the
same as the sound value Mogul.
                                                  -- D

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon;
You are correct all around.  The 2-6-2 "Prairie" we have nominally seen here is in fact, nothing more than an 0-6-0 with pony and trailing wheels set on her.  The Prairie I was referring to would have had for, instance, larger diameter drivers and sat higher on the frame.  It has always struck me as probably being a passenger engine-and a pretty one at that.
I have in my collection, a Key Santa Fe "1050" class.  I have found limited literature on it.  This, was what I was referring to that maybe Bachmann was marketing.  Either way, no biggie.
Rich C.

Doneldon

Rich-

No, the Bachmann Prairie is just an embellished 0-6-0. They do the same thing to get a 2-6-0 (not the sound value Alco one).

The Santa Fe had a few series of Prairies. They're all good lookers and, you're right, they are somewhat high steppers. The Santa Fe, and other roads, used them for both freight and passenger service. I've even seen photos of them in helper service, which seems rather extraordinary.
                                                                                                                                                                                      -- D

RAM

The Santa Fe 1800 class 2-6-2 were built for fast freight service.  It was the last live Santa Fe steam locomotive that I was in.  These were used in all types of freight service on the main line and lasted until the end of steam.  The other class's of 2-6-2 were light locomotives and were used in all types of service on branch lines.  Most of the 2-6-2s had 69 inch drivers. A few had larger drivers for passenger service.

rogertra

The 2-6-2 was not a popular prototype wheel arrangement for various reasons and was quickly superseded by the 4-6-0 and 4-6-2 wheel arrangement.  Many North American railroads never owned any 2-6-2s though they were popular in the UK where many railways use 2-6-2 Tank engines on both passenger and freight trains as the trailing wheels would lead when running bunker first and they were good for high speeds, in the 60 - 70 MPH range on passenger trains.   Bunker first and tender first running at high speeds was common in the UK but tender first and even bunker first running was quite rare in North America even at the lower passenger speeds generally found in North America.

The LNER had the very popular V2 class 2-6-2 tender engine, probably the best 2-6-2 tender engine in the UK and capable of high speeds on passenger trains and excelled on fast freight trains.

Cheers.

Roger T.

Pacific Northern

While most of the class 1 railroads did not acquire many of the 2-6-2 engines there were still 1,500 of the 2-6-2 Prairie engines produced. They were popular with logging and small short line railroads.

However, the two American railroads I model on my layout did have a number of the 2-6-2 engines. The GN had 150 of these engines and the Milwaukee had 267 2-6-2's.

The 2-6-2 engines were quite popular on the British and European railroads.
Pacific Northern

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Pacific Northern on September 04, 2014, 11:28:50 PM
While most of the class 1 railroads did not acquire many of the 2-6-2 engines there were still 1,500 of the 2-6-2 Prairie engines produced. They were popular with logging and small short line railroads.

However, the two American railroads I model on my layout did have a number of the 2-6-2 engines. The GN had 150 of these engines and the Milwaukee had 267 2-6-2's.

The 2-6-2 engines were quite popular on the British and European railroads.

The Northern Pacific also had a number of 2-6-2 tender engines. of the roughly 170-ish engines of this type on the Northern Pacific only #2435 is left in Duluth, MN at the museum there.