Dimensions for DCC turnouts short track pieces?

Started by shawnr, July 20, 2016, 02:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnr

I noticed that some of the DCC turnouts come with extra sections of what appears to be straight ez track. I can't seem to find the dimensions of those pieces when reading the product descriptions. Are they 1", 1.5". 2" straights?

Anyone out there know the length of the short pieces for the #5 right and wye turnouts?
Thanks

Jhanecker2

Shawnr : Those sections  are not extra and they are the same length as the track included  with non-DCC  turnouts & wyes  their function is allow you to
connect  tracks to the  divergent section without having to file away the road bed on your connecting tracks .  If you look under the tracks you will find  an indent on one end to more easily  remove a section of the roadbed to connect it to the turnout.  If and when  I get to the building my train Equipment is stored I will
measure the length of those track sections and post it. John2.

shawnr

Thanks for the info, John! I didn't realize those turnouts need separate pieces to connect properly.

I've been using AnyRail  6 to design an expanded layout from my existing loop of 18" radius curves. I plan on adding a 22" radius loop and a few sidings. I can't wait!

I'm guessing the software automatically adds the short connector pieces when designing with those turnouts. If that's the case, I think my layout will fit together, but I was hoping the turnouts included some of the extra straight sections of track I need and avoid the extra cost of the connector assortment pack.

Darn this stuff is expensive!

Len

You can connect any piece of track to the #5 turnouts, even curves, if you cut a 12deg 'wedge' out of it's roadbed on the connecting end. Those short pieces make it easier, because the have the cut location identified on the bottom of the roadbed already. What I did was use some index cards, and that short piece, to make left and right templates for marking any piece of track to be cut to fit a #5.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

shawnr

Some of the turnouts already have a chunk of the roadbed missing to allow connecting pieces to fit properly, as seen in the image above.

If that's the case, do I still need to cut a portion of the roadbed out of the connecting piece?

I'm having a hard time understanding why it's necessary to modify the roadbed or add an extra piece of short track if the turnout already has that section removed.

I'd love to see a visual example of the proper way to use the short sections that come with the turnouts.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: shawnr on July 20, 2016, 02:40:53 PM

This is a standard turnout, with a 30deg diverging track that is prenotched to accept the connecting piece. The #5 turnouts and wye only diverge at 12deg and +/-6deg respectively. So instead of cutting a huge notch into the roadbed of the turnout, Bachmann includes the short piece that a bit can be trimmed off of to make the connection.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.